Author Thread: ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED...????...heaven to hell and back again...
tj121

View Profile
History
ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED...????...heaven to hell and back again...
Posted : 2 Sep, 2010 05:57 PM

I was curious about the doctrine of once saved always saved.....being the son of a great baptist preacher....i had heard this many times growing up and its still taught today.....I know what i believe today....its goes something like this...

once saved always saved....? yes,no and yes...maybe...!!!!

please share your thoughts on this.....TJ

Mercymay

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Sep, 2010 03:37 AM

What I understand about this doctrine is that, if I have conviction that I was genuinely saved the first time, that I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, that it is by grace that I have been saved, then I could not lose that grace of salvation. ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED. It is a gift, I accepted the gift, I believe the gift Giver will not take it back from me.

If some doctrine say I lost that salvation when I committed sin along the way, does it mean I have to work in order not to lose the gift? So I started with salvation by grace going to salvation by works ? What I believe is that good works is for rewards, for treasures in heaven and not to maintain my salvation.

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Oct, 2010 03:33 PM

You are drowning and the One who has control of all things comes by in a row boat and asks if you want to be pulled in the boat and rowed to shore. You reply yes and He pulls you in the boat for real ( you're not just kinda hanging on the outside of the boat). Then the waves get big and you get scared you might fall out or get drug out by a wave. So you ask Him about it; He says "haven't you read my book? I will not lose one out of my hand" Then for some unknown reason you get the urge to jump out of the boat,, you ask Him about it. To which he replies "What did I just say? "

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Oct, 2010 07:19 AM

God gave us Free Will.

The Creator of EVERYTHING does everything but get down on His knees and beg us to Do His Will. We have the ability to Say NO to GOD! Think about that...we can say NO!...to God Almighty. He does not force us to do anything. Most certainly God can and does Influence us and if need be He can �Knock us off our horse� if need be, but it is Up To Us to make that decision to Follow God.

Jesus said in Matthew 13:13 �

�All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.� [NIV]

�...he who stands firm To The End Will Be SAVED�

To me that is quite Obvious. We have to stand firm to the end in order to Be SAVED.

We have to wake up every morning and strap on Our Cross and...WALK in Faith and PRAY and PRAY and PRAY...constantly for God's Grace to keep us in His WILL!

Will we Fall...of course, but that is when we need to get back up and grab our Cross and start the Walk again.

Salvation is FREELY offered. It is God's Gift to us. We can not Earn our Salvation, but just as I can return a gift or lose it...so can we Lose or reject God's Gift.

Matthew 13:18-23

18 �Listen then to what the parable of the sower means:

19 When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path.

20 The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy.

21 But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word,

He Quickly FALLS AWAY.

22 The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful.

23 But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.� [NIV]

Jesus is talking about those of us who are deceived by �feel good� and �quick and easy� religion.

The Church for over 1500 years did not believe in Once Saved Always Saved. Nowhere in Church History was there a mass outcry against this belief. It was only after The Revolution that the belief of �Once saved...� began to have followers.

We are to investigate and learn our faith in order to stand up against the dark one as he trys to deceive us. Please give this much thought. Many have gone to great lengths and effort to convince others. Their logic is specious and sophomoric, and falls apart in The Light.

Blessing!

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Oct, 2010 11:20 PM

Let Us Define Free Will: When we talk about Free Will, we are saying that we are not forced to do something that we do not want to do! What else would freedom or liberty be then to be able to make our own decisions. When people talk about being free what they mean to say is that they have the liberty or freedom to make choices. We are free to make choices, only, within the limits of our ability. We are free to will good and evil, yet only have the ability to will eveil. Man, by his fall into a state of sin, has wholly lost all ability of will to any spiritual good accompanying salvation. So as, a natural man, being altogether averse from that good, and dead in sin, is not able, by his own strength, to convert himself, or to prepare himself thereunto. Here are some Scriptures for support: (Rom 5:6; Rom 8:7; Jn 15:5. Rom 3:10,12. Eph 2:1,5; Col 2:13. Jn 6:44,65; Eph 2:2,3,4,5; 1Co 2:14; Titus 3:3,4,5. Because our will, by nature, is completely averse to God, Any desire to do that which is good, After being saved, is not just an influence from God, but rather the complete active work of God in our lives. Phil 2:13 "For it is God who works in you, both to will and work for his good pleasure." After being born again, our will is not free to serve Him because it is Him who wills us and to work for His good pleasure, and we have become slaves of righteousness. But our will is free to not do His will, because our will is no longer a slave to sin. Before salvation- we are a slave to only unrighteousness and sin After salvation-we are slaves to righteousness, and because no longer slaves to unrighteousness we have the freedom to live outside the will of God. God did not give us a spirit of stupor, but one that Will accomplish the purpose for which it was given. Phil 1:6 And I am sure of this, he who began a good work in you will bring it to COMPLETION at the day of Jesus Christ. Let us look at Abraham: Abraham was counted as righteous because of His faith only. Romans 4:21b,22 Abraham grew strong in his faith, as he gave glory to God, FULLY convinced that God was able to do what He had promised. Faith is believing the truthfulness of God's Word and God's faithfulness to His Word. How sad it is for those who believe you can lose your salvation. For if one believes that he can lose his salvation, then he is not believing in God's faithfulness to His Word, and to keep His promise. And if not believing in God's faithfulness, then there is No real Faith. Furthermore, if I could lose my salvation, then only what follows is that I must Do something in order to keep it, which makes it a gospel of works. As Martin Luther said, If we had free will, Grace would not be Grace. Or, lets look at the Israelites in Romans 11, the Israelites failed to obtain it(righteousness by works), but the elect obtained it(by Faith only). It then follows, that if there are any works at all, it is only because it is the product of Faith, the results of true Faith. Abraham was counted as righteous in the OT in Genesis 15. His works were later mentioned in Genesis 22. Faith first which naturally produces works. A good tree can only produce good fruit, and a bad tree can only produce bad fruit.

The church has believed in once saved always saved (i.e. Perseverance of the Saints) from the time of Christ. Perseverance of the saints depends not upon their own free will, but upon the immutability of the decree of election, flowing from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father; Upon the efficacy of the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ; the abiding of the Spirit, and of the seed of God within them; and the nature of the covenant of grace: Phil 1:6; 2Pe 1:10; Jn 10:28,29; 1Jn 3:9; 1Pe 1:5,9. Paul speaks indefinately in the matter. St. Augustine, in the 4th century spoke in depth in the matter of "once saved always saved" In fact, it was in the 16th/17th century that the doctrine of losing your salvation really became widespread, particularly after the death of James Arminius.

jbaspire7

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Oct, 2010 09:55 PM

this is such a deep topic with years of debate in between. i beleive this mostly depend on ones theological background. they say for baptists, it's once saved, always saved. for others, they say one has to work out their salvation as what apostle paul said. i do not have a firm stand on this topic, but i guess the real bottomline is everyone has to respond to God's call of growing from glory to glory. some missed the opportunity to know God deeper because they stopped at the idea of salvation. God is bigger and wider and sweeter when we get to know him more. =p

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jan, 2011 08:37 PM

You can let go of God! Look at Saul.

Also David sinned and lost his salvation and He repented. God definitely saves, but He leaves us a choice. You can always throw the gift away. To do so would be the worst thing you ever did, but God won't force you to do something against your will. He will seek you, and deal with you, but He leaves the choice with you.

Gourd00

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Mar, 2011 05:45 AM

I don't believe in OSAS. The Bible says " 26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God." Hebrews 10:26-27

Otherwise everyone would just use "repentance" as a get-out-of-jail-free card, and would keep on sinning, which defeats the purpose of Jesus' death on the cross.

Asher_Aurelius

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Jun, 2011 08:57 PM

Don't really know myself. I also don't know how to answer the question.

Both once saved always saved, and the ability lose your salvation, both have scriptures to back it up. Myself I tend to lean towards losing salvation.

Is this a fruitful conversation? If god has put it on your heart then I guess it is.

But am thankful that personaly I do not need to fear that I will lose my salvation.

ashofvirtue

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Jun, 2011 09:52 AM

This an extremely fruitful conversation bc it is edifying to the faith. Especially the person who quoted Heb 10:26 which is one of my favorite scriptures to use.

Also the Word says to "examine yourself to ensure you are in the faith." there is not implication, it is very clear that you can be out of the faith.. and as body we are responsible to hold one another accountable and correct any heresy or false beliefs being preached.

I pray that you continue studying.

God Bless brother

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 May, 2015 12:41 AM

Once saved always saved is a grossly misunderstood doctrine. It is misunderstood by some who detest it and by some who embrace it. I don't have time here to discuss the entire doctrine so I'll mention a couple of power points. First, it is God who saves and it is God who keeps one saved. If it is God who saves and if it is God who keeps one saved then there is absolutely no room for salvation loss. Second, Jesus said "...not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord with enter the kingdom of heaven but he who does the will of my father...". So, here we have disobedient people calling Jesus their Lord; but Jesus says they will not enter the kingdom of heaven. No doubt some of these disobedient people think "once saved always saved" but because they refuse to totally surrender their hearts to God and obey him from the heart they prove that they were never saved at all. They think salvation means merely calling Jesus Lord and doing a few things right; at the same time they generally live continuously in secret or open disobedience. These people sometimes appear religious to other Christians but they were never saved. While only God knows their hearts, Jesus said we can know them by their fruits. A truly saved person, is not always sinless - but, desires to please God from his heart. Ephesians says we are not saved >by< works of righteousness which we have done we are rather saved >for< works of righteousness. A truly saved person proves he is saved by living a new life.

Page : 1 2