Author Thread: Giving to the poor that stand at the street corners
Admin

Giving to the poor that stand at the street corners
Posted : 22 Oct, 2010 06:25 PM

Man, a few months ago, I was talking with some folks at church about giving to the people who sit at the interstate ramps and major intersections in our city. There's so much talk of people just using it for booze or bad things - so why give? What about the people who need it?

What do you think about this?

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Oct, 2010 09:01 PM

Good question. It's probably more of what you do with your money instead of what they do with it. But yeah, it might be better to give to a charity that helps the homeless, or to a shelter, etc. That way you know it's going to help them instead of putting them further in the hole. Back before charities...people probably let homeless people come and do odd jobs for food/money, or took them to a place to eat. That isn't too safe anymore though...

:peace::peace:

springrose10

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Oct, 2010 11:46 PM

I don't give cash. We don't have many people on the streets in our town, so it's not a hard decision to help - like when there are way too many to help.

Last time I saw a man on the corner, we were on the way to the store. On the way home, we stopped at a fast food place and gave the man a meal. Never saw him again.

"Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Heb. 13:1-2

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" Matt. 25:40

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 12:02 AM

The way I see it is this...if you feel lead to give, give. If the individual misuses your gift...that's between them and God. If you give from the heart...God will reward no matter how the recieving individual spends what you gave him...I get frustrated sometimes with my church because they question how people will use money if they help them...to me, we should just give with a joyful heart and if they take advantage of us its on them...like I said...God will reward us for following our heart.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 12:12 AM

I believe the Gospel is not about money it is about relationships ; the relationship between myself and God and the relationship with my fellow man. Since every person and situation is different ; I rely on my relationship with God to guide me with each individual person and situation. Those I do give to first have to endure jumping through a few hoops of "relationship" 1) they need to at least attempt communication. 2) they need to attempt some form of honesty 3) they need to be open to hearing about Jesus. I try to leave them something to think about and give them more money than they asked for.

I remember once a guy was trying to con me out of money for gas, after a long discussion he finally admitted he wanted the money for beer. I said good now we are getting some where, tell you what I'll buy you a couple of tall boys (one was for his girl friend at home) and give you a ride home. When we got to his house he introduced me to his girl friend and we all had a good talk about Jesus. I was surprised how open his girl friend was; I think God had already been working on her cause she wanted a bible and I just so happened to have a spare one, imagine that.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 07:18 AM

I have walked amongst these folks--so I can tell you from personal experience most if not all of the street corner poor are drug addicts or drunks (mental illness is a factor). They have spitefully used everyone who has ever cared for them. Having said that I pray about giving before I give or not give. The holy Spirit directs me. I pity them because most of them are in need of a drink or a drug fix and that is a hell all in and of itself. I hate to be overly harsh but most of these people are right were they belong and that to is Gods will in my opinion.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 12:02 PM

that sounds like a lot of work twosparrows, but hey, no one ever said sharing Jesus would be easy. Good for you!

I agree with the being led by God first thing, but I've tried that and don't really feel anything. I was wondering if maybe this is something that God wants us to make a decision on - give to the poor - does He want us to do it without His prodding as a test?

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 01:36 PM

Most of the time I don't know either, sometimes, but very rarely will I have a feeling ahead of time and sometimes that feeling is wrong. I have found that arrow prayers and engaging in conversation yeilds the best clues as to which direction to take. But I know this for sure: I is all about being wise and trusting God.

aceets

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 01:38 PM

Speaking out of eight years of working with Gypsies, I's have to agree with springrose.

Stormcountry

I hope you do not mean what you said. It really sounds as if you would give just for the sake of giving and quieting your conscience. What about giving as an act of love?

Blessings

Aceets

aceets

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 01:44 PM

Itasca

The god you believe in must be a strange one if you honestly think that it is his will for drug addicts and drunkards to be where they are.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 05:59 PM

Well, they are where they are. And we are where we are. And God knew where we'd be - see, God's will!

Soooooooo I dropped the kids at a church function tonight, and went to the mall to kill time (I still have that JCP charge card and all - don't worry I didn't buy anything!) and there was a lady sitting to the side of the JCP outside entrace. She was smiling at me, and I smiled back and so she asked for a dollar. I figured that much, and I only had $20 on me, so said I didn't have any change but would when I came back out. the counter people there probably thought I was crazy, pacing around teh inside of the store arguing with myself, half the time with my eyes closed cause it felt like I was supposed to do something. So I went back outside and said I didn't have the change, but I was headed to the food court if she wanted to come with me for some dinner. She declined. I told her I'd bring her something back, so she gave me her order and I went and got it. I asked her if she needed a ride; she said she didn't. Very short vague answers to everything. Asked if she was gonna be around the next few days, maybe I could pick her up for church or something. She said she wouldn't be there, but that Jesus had blessed her and she told me some bad childhood story. Then she said that she could really use some walking shoes at a nearby store that were only $39.99. I didn't have that much on my charge card so I said she could pick something out here in JCP if it was on sale, like $20-ish. She didn't want to go from her spot, so another no answer. So I gave her some change from the bottom of my purse and left.

I don't feel like I did something right. We talked about Jesus. I offered other assistance but it wasn't from JCP so I couldn't assist. Maybe I should have given her my $20? I dunno. I find that the people that are on the corners and at stores like this are pretty much the same - won't move from their spot for fear that they'll miss more money. Will only take money, not anything else. There's a bit of a bad rap for the poor in Gainesville, FL - we're actually ranked 5th meanest city in the US (or state?) to the homeless. But it's like that's their profession almost - not gonna budge on what they want and all they want is money. And they won't really tell you nothing. She said she should say where she was headed, and how she got to the mall, or where she was staying. Quite frustrating.

Page : 1 2 3