Author Thread: drinking alcohol and buying alcohol for people
Admin

drinking alcohol and buying alcohol for people
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 02:51 PM

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread about some down-on-his-luck guy who was bumming for money; the guy admitted he was going to buy beer with any money given to him, so he (twosparrows, whom I asked if I could use his story) bought him two beers and went and talked with the guy and the girlfriend about Jesus.

I liked this - it shows that the bumdude wasn't being condemned over a beer, plus he was told the Good News.

I must say - I've always been under the impression that to drink alcohol, or buy others alcohol, was like saying it's ok to drink alcohol, and that was wasn't what a "good Christian" should do. Is this just a blown-out-of-proportion tradition/ideal? Up to personal conviction? I think there's some scripture on not drinking to get drunk - but what other reason is there for drinking alcohol? And what about Jesus making water to wine for the Cana wedding?

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2010 06:26 PM

The catholic church has alcohol at every service, but only the priest gets to drink it . . . . . Now does that seem fair?

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Oct, 2010 08:47 AM

A reasonable amount of alcohol can lift your spirits. Getting drunk clouds your judgment and put you in a state where you'll lose control and do just about anything, including trying to drive home. Dangerous and irresponsible, in my opinion.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Oct, 2010 09:35 AM

The bottom line is ; who do you rely on? who leads you? who is your master? Is it the Holy Spirit or is it the spirit of alcohol?

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Oct, 2010 10:34 AM

in sunday school this morning, this came up about during our "being a new man in Christ" topic:

someone: Anything that would hurt our witness seems like a sin to me.

leader: For example, if an unbeliever saw someone they knew was a Christian out drinking, what would they think? Our purpose is to lead others to Christ, and if drinking hurts our witness, then it becomes a stumbling block to the unbelievers who watch us.

So even if we're not drinking to get drunk, just having a couple at a holiday party, or something else where they're serving alcohol, how do you think this would effect those around who are watching because they know we're Christians?

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Oct, 2010 02:20 PM

Ok alycorn I'll bite;

Why would you automatically assume this would" hurt" your witness. Yes, there is scripture concerning what you do or don't do around one with a weaker faith. There is a time and place for everything. Once I was sitting in a bar and after having a long conversation with a woman about how she had lost her baby and she was mad at God, she stopped mid- sentence and said" you're a christian aren't you" then immediately grabbed my drink and tasted it. You should of seen the look on her face when she realized it was just soda. I suppose one could argue if some one saw me going into a bar it would hurt my witness. But I believe I had a divine appointment with that young woman and the only witness it would hurt are those who don't know me. I have picked up street prostitutes and paid them to listen to me. One started crying, another I found a job for and a place to live; she called me up acouple of years later and thanked me. We can set ourselves so far apart from the world that it reinforces the stereotype christian view held by the world and makes it hard for them to relate.

Your question was ' what about our witness? '

Let's see what scripture says on the matter:

Matt 11:19

The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions.

Matt 21:31

I tell you the truth, tax collectors and prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.

Matt 9:11

When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"

I think this last scripture sums it up pretty well;

John 17:15

My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Oct, 2010 04:58 PM

Jesus ate with unbelievers and tax collectors and it sure hurt His witness with certain types of people. I don't know what the "gone too far" line is though.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Oct, 2010 04:58 PM

Jesus ate with unbelievers and tax collectors and it sure hurt His witness with certain types of people. I don't know what the "gone too far" line is though.

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Oct, 2010 05:25 PM

Good point Donthithatmark aka DHTM

Perhaps we are concerned with what the wrong people think of our witness?

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Oct, 2010 06:13 PM

I think going to bars to share the gospel and paying prostitutes for their time to witness to them is a great idea. Except I would not recommend the town drunk that just got save to put himself in an environment of that kind of temptation.

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Oct, 2010 07:51 PM

Absolutely, Mr. Row ; it is not for everybody nor do I make a habit of it. But let tell everyone : When you pray for"Divine Appointments" ; they happen!!!

Page : 1 2 3