Author Thread: Just wondering if I am too old fashioned..
Newlife2011

View Profile
History
Just wondering if I am too old fashioned..
Posted : 11 Nov, 2010 04:48 AM

When I was married my exhusband would watch shows like "Everybody loves Ramon and the Office" - though funny at times I had a difficult time watching my husband laugh at the part where Ramon's father would belittle and degrade his wife constantly; showed no appreciation though indirectly he loved her, he was too proud to express it in front of anyone. In the Office, the boss would degrade, belittle, humiliate and just treat the ladies in the office as if they were something to step on.

I noticed after awhile that my husband would begin to treat me this way in front of my children. When I expressed my hurt he would laugh; when he saw me choked up with sentiment he would grin.

Am I they only one out there that feels that what we sit and watch feeds our lives positively or negatively and that we have come a long way from disliking what the Lord would dislike? And we don't even realize he is right there by our side as we watch and listen and laugh at these things?

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Nov, 2010 02:31 PM

No, Diffinately not Newlife...You are not the only one or old. Ima real sad to hear yer exhusband treated you in a manner similar to a TV character or a manner disrespectful to you....

As the years have gone by, my personal preferances for visual entertainment have changed emensly. Some shows after watching for awhile agitate me..if thats makes sense ?

I truely believe our Souls never sleep & with all the stuff in the world today & on TV...well...Im finding I'd rather watch or listen to a Sermon on the TV & go to sleep listening to Bible Scripture...Anywho...Welcome to the Forums & God Bless ya on yer journey...xo

rainbowian

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Nov, 2010 10:26 AM

I agree. People are definitely affected by what the watch/read/listen to. It's why I stopped watching tv.

UNC2011

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 06:27 PM

Well Everybody Loves Raymond is one of my favorite shows. I would never treat my wife the way Frank does on the show though. I don't feel like TV has to mirror our lives, it's an escape from reality. Just something to laugh at, if you allow TV to mirror the way you live your life there is a problem imo.

Joy2theW0rld

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Dec, 2010 08:29 PM

Thank you for starting this discussion Newlife2011. This is a great topic for the television section.

Your post reminds me of a poem.

Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts become your words.

Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.

Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.

Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.

Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny.

-Author unknown

Whenever we turn on a television, read a book, listen to music or engage in conversation an idea is being communicated. Some of these ideas are positive and healthy but unfortunately some of them are negative.

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 01:35 PM

I wanted to love Everybody Loves Raymond, but . . . I couldn't. We quit watching it - I refuse to allow that to be a model of marriage I let me children see. While some of that is funny/amusing, it was taken too far.

Society has so emasculated men in recent years. So many men on television are portrayed as idiots, incapable of parenting (or even functioning) without their wife's help/supervision. The Cosby Show was a rare exception.

Perhaps you are old-fashioned, but in my opinion society could use a little old-fashioned Reawakening.