Author Thread: Free computer advice!
DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 3 Dec, 2010 10:17 PM

Got any problems? Let me know! It'll give me a chance to hone my skillz!

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 14 Dec, 2010 12:23 AM

If you ever check this: Do you know how to whitelist .exe files and enable your computer so that it won't open/run any .exe files that aren't whitelisted (in Windows)?

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 14 Dec, 2010 04:36 AM

A firewall is a good way to do it. There are some good free ones out there, just do a search in Google for "free zone firewall". If it's just a program you want to keep from starting up, open the "run" command box(hold down the "windows logo" key and press "r" at the same time), type in "msconfig", and go to the "startup" tab. You can uncheck anything you don't want to startup, some of the names are confusing though. If it's a virus, that's a whole other ball game, so lemme know.

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 14 Dec, 2010 09:49 AM

Well, the issue is that I'm running Windows 98... The anti-virus software I was using decided to stop supporting Windows 98 over the summer. I can't find any other anti-virus software that supports it either. So, I was thinking of whitelisting the .exe files I use and then making it so my computer couldn't run anything else (such as viruses). (And, yes, I know I should just upgrade, but I'm not doing doing that in the real immediate feature.)

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 14 Dec, 2010 04:08 PM

Oh...uh...hopefully this isn't a violation of the TOS, but "avira" anti-virus might support win98. It's free also. Other than that, you'd probably have to find some kind of third party program. There may be a way to do what you want through policy permissions, etc...but that gets really complicated.

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 15 Dec, 2010 10:19 AM

Okay. Thank you.

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 16 Dec, 2010 06:21 PM

My droidx keeps asking to install a update, what and where it is coming from idk, but I haven't installed it, but it keeps asking every few hours and it is irritating .....how do I make it go away?

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 17 Dec, 2010 09:36 AM

What's a droidx?

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 17 Dec, 2010 03:56 PM

It is a 3G smart phone for use with Verizon, like the Iphone for ATT, only better. Basically a hand held computer. It is all I use now.

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 17 Dec, 2010 08:12 PM

The simplest way would be to figure out the source and let it do it's thing. If it's from the manufacturer, it's probably required.

View Profile
History
Free computer advice!
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 11:12 AM

Ok Mark I finally gave in and it slowed my internet connection down to a crawl...now what?

Page : 1 2