Author Thread: Whatcha think about God and the big bang all being one in the same?
Admin

Whatcha think about God and the big bang all being one in the same?
Posted : 17 Dec, 2010 06:27 PM

Hi friends,

My 19 year old son is agnostic after being a real God-seeker as a child and young teenager. There were some wounds in his life that played a big part in his condition, now, but I pray and believe he will allow Jesus to heal his unbelief.

Anyway, him and I had this late night talk about astronomy, God, the age of the planet and the big bang. I am not all "this is the way is is" with him because I don't see where God made that a major point for us to know.

He made the statement that it could all have come from God and I agreed. The earth could very well be much older than what we think as the garden of Eden is where it began for our reading.

What do some of you cosmic comrades think? :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Dec, 2010 10:26 PM

Maniacs1,

I understand your questions as I have had them myself for years. I like to dig deep for answers and am open to change or saying I was wrong, but always go back to the word of God as the final say.

I am not totally sure of this theory, but my spirit seems to lean towards this as it would explain so many mysteries that I have questioned, like Neanderthal man, giants on the earth, sons of God and other strange phenomenon.

This is another paragraph from the site-kjvbible.org~ I am studying. They are very firm about the KJV bible as the source of truth and answers.~

As Christians, as Creationists, and as Bible Believers, we are in agreement with the doctrine that the Lord God "made" the present "world" complete with the heavens and earth, in six, literal 24-hour days, about 6,000 years ago, just as the Bible states in Exodus 20:11 (see also Heb.1:2). But that fundamental doctrine of the faith, in itself, is not the end of all Biblical truth. Neither Exodus 20:11 nor Romans 5:12 contradicts or invalidates the empirical geologic data that reveal that this planet Earth is also very ancient (on the order of hundreds of millions of years) and has a definite fossil history of being and habitation prior to the creative events that begin at Genesis 1:3.

Why such a statement is NOT a contradiction of the doctrine of Romans 5:12 is a difficult concept for many of our Brethren to grasp, because they have wrongly vilified ALL science in their zeal to stand for the defense of the Bible against Evolution. Unfortunately, many do so because of insufficient instruction in the Holy Scriptures and the sciences, which would empower them to make well-reasoned determinations by themselves. The result is seen in the current "Creation Science" movement, where misdirected loyalty to defending traditional Fundamentalist positions has had the exact opposite effect, and has actually led to abandonment of sound doctrine and the embracing of corrupt translations to defend their position on this matter. Once you begin to question the literal wording of the KJV Bible in order to make a doctrinal point, you have already lost the argument.

Maniacs1

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 09:52 AM

i was going to post a reply, but then i realised that it would be way to long and it probably wouldnt make much sense, mostly because it is all over the place, lol. there is a good website to go to that talks about this sort of stuff called http://www.answersingenesis.org/

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 10:29 AM

Thanks M. I'll check it out. I hear ya about long posts~:laugh:

It's hard to discuss this stuff in a forum when it's so deep. God bless~:purpleangel:

Maniacs1

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Dec, 2010 11:58 AM

it would have come close to filling up this page so i didnt bother cause i know with myself, i dont have the attention span to read articles that are that long so im not going to make other people suffer with it as well so i figured id send u that link instead. they mostly deal with evolution vs. creation, but they do have some stuff on what this topic is about

Joy2theW0rld

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Dec, 2010 05:50 PM

@ chevy74 Thank you

:applause::glow::angel::waving::peace::rocknroll::purpleangel:

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jan, 2011 12:20 AM

In the beginning God created the big bang. Problem solved. :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jan, 2011 12:25 AM

Just because God does something doesn't mean He wiggled His nose ala Bewitched and it happened. We understand many things about cosmology and how planets form, but that's the methodology, not the Who Did It of it. Everything God does from creating the universe to the Earth to us has a science behind it and thus way of understanding it. Thus, we know the universe had a beginning because we see the evidence when we look through telescopes. But because we understand the how, doesn't mean the Who isn't also there.

Was a better formed thought in my head. Hope it wasn't too confusing. :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jan, 2011 06:55 PM

God Created: He is the foundation of the world! The Big Bang theory is used whether people realize it or not to get rid of God, and then they can live life with no moral standards. If God didn't create, then all of the Bible is a myth. God created, and designed, we are not an accident. Hope this makes sense!

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jan, 2011 10:08 PM

a good article from a Messian Jewish perspective:

Science and the Bible

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. (Bereshit / Genesis 1:1; ESV)

This year is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin. While Darwin didn't develop the theory of evolution, his work on the concept of natural selection greatly contributed to making philosophical and scientific naturalism the predominant world view that it is. Philosophical and scientific naturalism claims that life emerged and developed from natural causes only. It denies the existence of the spiritual and the supernatural, including the very first statement in the Torah which I just read.

There are many people who hold to the basic tenets of naturalism (they may or may not call themselves naturalists), yet find room in their lives for religion and spiritual things. They may even give lip service to the supernatural, but their basic commitment to naturalism casts doubt on the Torah's assertion that the God of Israel is the sole, personal, and intentional creator of the universe. Sadly, we are not always aware that we are doing this.

We may claim to believe the Bible, yet reject the concept of a six-day creation by insisting that it must mean something other than what the Torah clearly teaches. Some say that the sequence of events over the six days of creation is poetical, that it is some sort of song extolling God as creator of the universe. The problem with this view is that God himself doesn't share it. In the second book of the Torah, God gives the Sabbath to the people of Israel as a sign of his creating the world in six days (see Shemot / Exodus 31:17).

Another way people try to retain a commitment to the Bible yet doubt the creation account is by saying that it is based on a primitive, non-scientific world view - that whenever the first chapter of the Bible was written, it expressed the truth of creation through the understanding of people who had no grasp of modern scientific categories. Because of this they expressed Truth via a limited understanding of the universe. Not having at their disposal the knowledge of future generations, we cannot expect them to express these things in precise scientific terms.

I concede that the Torah does not express itself in scientific terms. I also concede that the way of looking at the world has changed a great deal from Bible times until now. Those changes significantly affect how we understand and express ourselves. But when it comes to determining Truth, including the origin of the universe, what will be our basis? On whose terms shall we attempt to reconcile the Bible with science? Science is a man-made attempt to understand the physical world. The Bible claims to be the revelation of the one true God. Science has developed over time as new discoveries are made and as new ways of looking at old discoveries are put forth. The Bible is unchanging. Therefore why should we have to defend the Bible on science's terms? Instead should not science have to defend itself on biblical terms?

It doesn't help that this discussion has often not been between the Bible and science, but instead about people's agendas in the name of the Bible or science. But for those who genuinely yearn to understand the relationship between the Bible and science, it is very important to begin with an acceptance of what each is really all about. The Bible is God's revelation of all of life including the most fundamental of scientific issues, creation. Science is the analysis of God's creation. To think that human beings, creations themselves, can have greater insight into the origins and design of that creation than is contained in God's own revelation, is arrogant. At the same time, students of the Bible are not immune from this arrogance. We need to be careful not to confuse what the Bible says with our assumptions and traditions.

There is a common misconception that just because the Bible was written amidst an ancient culture far removed from our own, it is somehow inferior to ours. Why do we assume that the difference in cultures discounts what the Bible asserts? How we and the people of old look at the world has indeed changed, but does that necessarily mean that the revelation of God through the people of old is inaccurate? Could it be that instead of the culture of biblical times being inadequate to effectively speak truth to us today, it is our culture that obscures the truth that God revealed long ago?

In order to have a truly beneficial discussion about the relationship between the Bible and science, we must be unapologetic about what the Torah itself actually teaches and how it teaches it. Manipulating the Bible to make it acceptable to science, will render it powerless and will rob science and scientists of the essential corrections they need.

http://www.torahbytes.org/70-01.htm

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Feb, 2011 07:28 PM

Hey, Joey!

That's such an interesting question you posted about the big bang. I have my own theories, but, I like what Allan Sandage, a Cosmologist said: "We can't understand the universe in any clear way without the supernatural."

About the big bang, one thing that we know is that the universe definitely had a beginning, it does not seem to be infinite. It was definitely created a a point in time. Before, people thought the universe always was, always is, and always will be, type thing. Ancient "cosmologists" thought that the universe was infinite. Einstein showed in his theory of relativity in 1915 that the cosmos was expanding and not static.

So, as William L. Craig points out is, if you go back in time, the universe then gets denser and smaller, until finally "the entire known universe is contracted down to a state of infinite density which marked the beginning of the universe. Lee Strobel (the case for creator guy :yay:) concluded that this density, "which cosmologists call the singularity" marked the beginning of "all matter and energy, physical space and time coming into being."

Astronomer Edwin Hubble theorized that galaxies outside of our galaxy are moving away from the milky way in speeds proportional to their distance to us.

Anyway, nobody knows for sure. But it seems there was a "singularity", and the Bible says it took 6 days. I believe in creation by faith not because of facts, but science also proves that there was a definite beginning, a point in time where things came into being.

Astronomy is amazing... I don't understand it but its pretty cool. I also think you're so cool for being open-ended with your son...he's so blessed to have a cool mother. I know that when I was still searching, and contemplating life and God and big questions, if somebody were to have hit me over the head with a proverbial Bible I probably would not be a Christian today. The 'rebel without a cause' in me would have rejected the truth because of presentation error. So I really admire you for your sweet, loving way of saying things and presenting your side and different points of views.

Have a good day, Joey. Take care!

Page : 1 2 3