Author Thread
ian777

View Profile
A Revelation About The Relationships I Have Been Choosing
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 06:30 PM

Thanks for sharing; I'm sort of dealing with something like this indirectly, you wrote some things I needed to read.

Ian

ian777

View Profile
Random IM?
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 06:25 PM

Hey Pat,

Also remember - people who IM, are *often* IM'ing more than one person - multiple conversations. But ya, I've had a few of those "dead air" IM's, where I'm trying to be polite when they IM'd me, and I'm trying to make conversation... but in the one instance, it became pretty clear pretty quick that she hadn't even read my profile! Soooo...what on earth prompted her to IM me?

Ian

ian777

View Profile
First Kiss
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 06:15 PM

I'm easy either way - although I'd prefer to wait. At least wait until we were engaged; then, we'll see. But I'm game either way.

No bad kissing stories - but it was sure funny reading everyone else's! Does not ever being kissed count as a bad kissing story? (Yes, I've been kissed, just asking)

Ian

ian777

View Profile
You Love Her, They Don't!
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 06:05 PM

You hit the nail on the head, newinmay. I've always been one for following the leading of the Holy Spirit, but ...because our voice sounds SO similar, that gets really sticky. Because of my obsessive streak, I've tied myself up for months/years over some stupid thing that I thought was the Lord.

It's important to hear from the Lord - but Godly counsel and wisdom is a key there. The tricky part is finding *Godly* counsel and wisdom. There is wisdom in the counsel of many, so just by sheer numbers of trying, and praying and trusting that the Lord can speak to you through these people, you can often get to the bottom of it all.

But back to your original question Zoe; this ties in with the Godly counsel - what is there that they don't like? The guy who brought me to the Lord, his discernment is such a powerful gift that if he says run, I would. But that's cause he's never wrong, and he would be unbiased. He may not like a girl I'm checking out, and he may say that, but he'll be very, very specific about what's his opinion, and what he feels he sees in the spiritual realm.

I've also had to learn to get my parents involved in my life - the whole "honour your parents" thing. I didn't get along well with my dad when I was younger, and the Lord really did a miracle between us before he died last year, but I still had to actively go out and keep my parents in the loop about everything, ask them to pray, and if they had anything to say on the matter, to speak up. I may or may not agree with them, but I certainly won't ignore what they say.

Also - on the flip side of the coin, there's one lady that comes to mind who's dad has an alchohol problem. So if I were to marry her, in effect, I'm marrying her father as well. But she needs a good christian man - so should I be turning her down because her family may not be christian? ....yet? And yet, I want *the best*, as too often the good is the worst enemy of the best.

I don't have all of the answers of course, but I have a lot of my own questions.

Ian

ian777

View Profile
Lacking Fire...
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 05:56 PM

Man, I go away for a few days and you guys get all fired up! Excellent discussion folks - lots of thought provoking stuff.

And now I have nothing to add cause it's all been said, but I felt left out of the discussion, so I added this...:excited:

Ian

ian777

View Profile
Humility
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 05:55 PM

Okay Alex, who on earth is Barney Fife???

:laugh:

ian777

View Profile
IS it wrong to trust?
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 05:51 PM

Hey Alex,

I tend to be a very happy-go-lucky kinda guy, and trust people until they give me reason not to. But I'm also not stupid - even when I know someone is flat-out lying to me, I usually just put up with it patiently - we're all human, we all have our faults, and I have'em too.

There's a difference between believing someone and trusting someone. People also make mistakes and miscommunications, so what may appear to be a lie is simply a mistake/miscommunication - Lord knows communication is my weak area.

Nevertheless, here in cyberspace, anybody can say anything they want, and it's difficult to know the better - so be careful, usually you can tell right quick if somethings not right.

Ian

ian777

View Profile
Going In Over Your Head
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 05:44 PM

Well thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forums Rio,

Ian

ian777

View Profile
Stalkermaybe?
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 05:42 PM

Haha! Alex - too funny. Ya figure one of us will be within the distance of reaching out and touching him, eh? We got the entire North American continent covered.

Ya, unfortunately kylie, I think you've got him pegged. But, that's what the "blocker" tool is for. You were wise not to give him a number - mobiles are safer, but it is possible to track someone via their phone number.

So gloryshine - tell me, how well did the "Where is my woman" thing go over? haha!

Ian

ian777

View Profile
Humility
Posted : 20 Aug, 2009 12:34 PM

Excellent question - and Alex threw some good info in here. I actually asked about this many moons ago - "What on earth is humility?" (I was working at a major christian ministry at the time)

The survey showed the majority agreeing it was the opposite of pride - but what was pride?

In the end, it was a friend of mine who, like Alex, had a problem with thinking too much of himself - the majority of people do not think highly enough of himself.

Basically, it's an issue of honesty: There's nothing wrong with saying you are good at playing piano, if you're good at playing piano. That's not pride - that's honesty.

In fact, if you're good at playing piano, and you tell people you don't play very well, this is called PRIDE. It's the opposite of humility.

i.e. - look at the glowing things the Bible says about you - you are fearfully and wonderfully made! The only son of God thought you worth while to die for.

Humility is honesty - think of it as "How does God see me?"

I was one of the majority who thought less of himself than God saw, and had to learn to see myself the way God saw me.

Ian

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10