Author Thread
teach_ib

View Profile
TO TELL THE TRUTH?
Posted : 21 Oct, 2010 07:54 PM

Reality is our past defines our present...what really matters is did we get forgiveness from God, give forgiveness to those who may have wronged us (i.e. not harboring grudges or bitterness), did we learn from the mistakes, how did we overcome, etc.

As has been pointed out, there are some things better to find out early in a friendship/relationship.

God is still in the business of forgiveness...and Romans 3:23 still applies to all of us. By making potential mates aware of some things before a commitment, provides the opportunity for them to decide if they can live with the consequences of your forgiven sins. Covering up sins (including those under the blood) can cause difficulties in a marriage.

An undisclosed sin...covered by a lie...was exposed after I was married. It was one of several contributing factors in my divorce. Had I known about the addiction prior to getting married, I would not have pursued the relationship. Lying about to attract me made the whole relationship a sham.

Honesty is the best policy...

teach_ib

View Profile
What's Your Favorite Thanksgiving / Christmas Tradition(s)?
Posted : 21 Oct, 2010 07:30 PM

One of my most memorable Thanksgivings was the year I was in Korea. Everyone from my office got together to celebrate and we spontaneously started sharing memories from our family celebrations.

My Christmas tradition is opening gifts just after midnight...as a kid, my parents always made us wait until it was Christmas morning. My older siblings took it literally...and would wake up the youngest to get Mom & Dad out of bed at midnight. As adults, we race to see who can be the first to call each other at midnight. This tradition allows family members to spend appropriate amount of time at in-laws while still celebrating our family tradition. Once the gifts are open, we can all sleep in as late as we want. Of course, we keep in mind the reason for the season...the greatest gift of all, Jesus Christ.

teach_ib

View Profile
Entering the Air Force
Posted : 17 Oct, 2010 07:00 PM

I can tell you it will be worth the wait. I enjoyed my Air Force career.

While you're waiting to join...take some college classes, even one or two. The military today encourages (almost requires) a college education. Your tech school(s) will count towards an associate degree, you can earn an Associate Degree through the Community College of the Air Force. You might even take some ROTC courses...they will help you prepare for basic...or maybe you'll decide to complete your college education and receive a commission.

Also, find a ministry to serve in...there are homeless shelters, nursing homes, local schools, etc that can always use a willing volunteer. The Air Force (and other services) encourage this type of volunteering...most units sponsor a local school sending volunteers for tutoring, etc.

Start working out now, too. Run a mile and a half, do push ups, sit ups, etc in preparation for the physical fitness portion of basic.

Research the different career fields available in the Air Force...have an idea of what you want to pursue, not necessarily what the recruiter might tell you.

Best to you...

teach_ib

View Profile
Joining and Serving
Posted : 17 Oct, 2010 06:46 PM

Jesus' kingdom is not of this world. In the end the Christian's kingdom will not be of this world. Until then, we are here to spread the Gospel. In some cases, to get the Gospel into other countries, it requires fighting against Satan's representatives in the form of dictators, terrorists, thieves, etc. For those who think the military is contrary to the Bible, what is your opinion of law enforcement officers? They have a similar role only usually on a smaller scale. As long as there is sin in the world, there will be need for law enforcement and the military. I believe in Revelations, Jesus will return with His armies to defeat Satan and his armies...and there will be a LOT of bloodshed.

I have enlisted in God's Army and look forward to fighting against Satan and his army and the ultimate victory.

teach_ib

View Profile
For current or ex-military members
Posted : 17 Oct, 2010 06:32 PM

I can say it was worth my 4 years in ROTC, and 25 years of active and reserve duty. And, even though I have retired from the Air Force, I am still serving the men and women around the world in a job very similar to what I did while on active duty.

I didn't grow up with any thoughts of joining the military until I was in my senior year of high school...even though my father is retired Air Force. At my 4-6 year point, I thought about separating...the military life can take a toll on you because you're always moving, making friends and leaving, separated from your family, working odd hours, not just working in your specialty, but also doing all those 'other duties as assigned.'

I saw the struggle with younger military men and women serving alongside government and contractor civilians. Who went home at 5 pm when the computers crashed?? Not the military. Who did the weeds and seeds details because the military couldn't pay for landscaping? Who got tagged for all the other jobs that weren't in the duty descriptions of the civlians??? And then there's the salary difference...

Sure these can be discouraging, but not everyone can say they served in the world's best military, made the cut above the thousands who wanted to serve but couldn't make it through basic training.

I look around and see the quality of the young men and women serving in the military and those who have chosen other paths. There is a difference! I know I can trust someone like you with my life...on or off the 'battlefield.'

Think back to the men and women who served before us...who didn't have the luxury of the internet. Look forward to the opportunities only someone with your character and training can fulfill.

The Marines say "the Few, the Proud" but every military member is a member of an elite group of people.

Keep Romans 8:28 in mind...

God bless

teach_ib

View Profile
I don't respect the Military!
Posted : 17 Oct, 2010 06:05 PM

The Philippine government didn't like the US military, so the US military left. Now they want them back. Hmmm...

I can understand why others in the world don't like the US military...they take care of business. We put our lives on the line not only for our country but also for those who can't defend themselves against tyrants and terrorists.

I have served with people from all backgrounds, rich and poor, every race, many who came to the US from other countries to find freedom.

When one criticizes the US military, they are criticizing themselves because they're countrymen have fled to the US and have chosen to serve alongside those of us who were born in the US.

Until the end of the millenial reign of Christ (after the Great Tribulation) there will be wars and rumors of war...and the US military will be there defending freedom.

BTW I'm pretty sure the US military provides more humanitarian aide than any other military in the world. We even relabel items that were delivered by the US to a generic label because many countries refuse the help just because it's from the US. They would prefer to continue the myth that the US is an evil country wanting to destroy them.

Go Air Force...Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, and Merchant Marines!! I'm proud to serve with you all.

Page : 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139