Author Thread
Linnie41

View Profile
Separation/Divorce, Abuse, Adultry
Posted : 1 Oct, 2009 07:30 AM

I'm sorry for what you went through, and yes, he was committing adultery.

Linnie41

View Profile
Fasting.
Posted : 30 Sep, 2009 06:58 PM

From a website on fasting:

In a religious fast, a Christian will sacrifice his natural desire for food in order to spend time seeking God regarding a specific issue. The intention is that all the time that would be spent acquiring, preparing and consuming food will, instead, be spent in the presence of God through prayer, worship or meditation on the Word.

Also, the heightened sense of awareness obtained through hunger serves as a reminder of the purpose of the fast. The goal is to replace the feeding of the needs of physical hunger with the feeding of one�s spiritual hunger by the means of intimacy with God.

Jesus fasted from all food and drink, except water (Luke 4:2). The Bible also describes some extreme times that people fasted from everything, including water. See Exodus 34:28, Deuteronomy 9:9, Ezra 10:6, Esther 4:16 and Acts 9:9. This type of fast is usually reserved for extreme circumstances.

There are also �partial fasts� that restrict only certain foods or meals. A person may choose to fast through breakfast to allow extra time for prayer and worship. While biblical fasts do refer to abstaining from food, I have heard, many times, of people �fasting� from the television. I am sure that if there had been televisions in Bible days, Jesus would have called everyone to �fast� from them!

Please note, however, that a fast, whether partial or absolute, is quite different than giving up something for �Lent.� The motive in a fast cannot be that God will find favor with you because you gave up your favorite candy bar. The motive must be the realization that the world has crowded in around you and you need some clarity and some deep intimacy with God. It all comes down to the intent of your heart.

Hope this helps -

Blessings,

Lynn

Linnie41

View Profile
my confession
Posted : 30 Sep, 2009 06:47 PM

Well, first of all, you aren't nihilistic, because in your first paragraph you stated that you perceived your own behavior to be immoral. Nihilism doesn't coincide with any kind of morality. In my opinion (and again, my OPINION), I think you're in, to put it plainly, a slump.

I think we all reach the point at one time or another, and many times throughout life, that we wonder what our purpose is - if there even is a purpose. We dredge through daily life, feeling like, as you put it, we are here simply to play a part in the political/industrial machine. I can empathize, because I've been there, too. We all have.

But then something happens that lights that flame again. A new love, a new hobby, a child's laugh, learning something that interests us - it's all in finding what your passion is, and passions will and do change with age. You may be "between passions" right now and that's why you're feeling this way. The meaning of life after all, is what we're passionate about. Whether it be serving God or serving ourselves.

I don't have a resolution for you - this is where the "church answer" comes in, because this is where faith comes in. You need to pray about it, and take a deep breath every day until you find it. And know that He's not going to let you fall.

Blessings,

Lynn

Linnie41

View Profile
What are we on this site for????
Posted : 29 Sep, 2009 04:30 AM

I looked at your profile and I realize you're been hurt very badly - and I feel for you. But be sure your wounds are healed before you start looking again. Don't let your emotions and loneliness be your guide...be patient and let God work.

Linnie41

View Profile
What are we on this site for????
Posted : 28 Sep, 2009 11:37 AM

I'm more than willing to be hurt however many times it takes for God to get me where He wants me. Every time it happens, I learn a little more, grow a little more, and find out just how strong He has made me and how powerful and "enough" His love really is.

I spent almost 6 months just picking out my couch. I think it's going to take a little longer to find the person I'll spend my life with. Lol

Blessings,

Lynn

Linnie41

View Profile
Seventh-day Adventists: Cult or Christian?
Posted : 27 Sep, 2009 10:47 PM

Is this a new record for the longest number of pages on one thread?

Linnie41

View Profile
Crazy, maybe, but awesome just the same.
Posted : 27 Sep, 2009 10:43 PM

It's always great to hear that a couple of people have hooked up! Blessings on your relationship!

Lynn

Linnie41

View Profile
FAITH ALONE OR WITH WORKS?
Posted : 27 Sep, 2009 02:01 AM

I love my mom. I appreciate her, I respect her, and I would do anything in my power to make her happy. Because without a doubt, I love her.

My mom has never liked swearing. Before I was saved, I used some pretty foul language - but never, ever around her. Why? Because I knew it would bother her and I didn't want to disrespect her. Would she have hated me for it? No. She would have still loved me, but would have been disappointed in me.

When I was in my teens, I remember times she didn't want me to do certain things. I didn't always understand her reasoning and would sometimes try to argue my way through it, but in the end, I usually listened to her and obeyed. The times I didn't listen, I found out first hand what she had been trying to protect me from and it was never good. Sometimes I paid for my disobedience for a long time afterward - but I eventually learned to listen to her and understand that she was keeping me from certain circumstances for my benefit - not because she didn't want me to have fun.

Now that I'm older, do I still listen to my mom? Probably more than ever. I know her very well and I know that she's always there for me, she would do anything to help me, and she loves me with all her heart. She would never put me in harms way or ask me to do anything that wouldn't have an outcome that would be beneficial to me. I trust her completely. And because of all this, I want to make her happy. When she smiles or hugs me because of something I've done for her, there's no greater feeling in the world.

It's the same with God. We aren't saved by works, but when you really, really love someone, you want to make them happy. And that does come from your attitude, what you do and don't do, how much time you spend with them, and how much you listen to what they tell you.

Linnie41

View Profile
Tattoos on men
Posted : 27 Sep, 2009 01:34 AM

Alright, I'll be the oddball. I don't like tattoos. On anyone, for that matter. When I'm with someone and I'm holding their hand or admiring their muscles when they're lifting something heavy, I'd rather be looking at the skin that God created rather than a picture of a wolf jumping through a flaming hoop or an Eagle flying over the sun. Also, they might look great at first, very colorful, but they do fade after time and can start to look kind of bad.

Don't get me wrong - I have dated men with tattoos and haven't had a problem with it. But if someone has no tattoos, that's a bonus to me. :)

Linnie41

View Profile
SCAMMERS - GOOD TIPS TO QUICKLY IDENTIFY
Posted : 27 Sep, 2009 01:20 AM

It's not just money they will ask you for. They'll ask you to send them Ipods, cameras, DVD players - anything they can sell. They key thing is: Do not send something to ANYONE you haven't actually met IN PERSON.

Page : 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14