Author Thread: Self Defense, MMA for Christians?
CMABob

View Profile
History
Self Defense, MMA for Christians?
Posted : 15 Sep, 2012 11:54 AM

This is a debatable subject.

"Loving your neighbor" can mean defending them from assaults and rape.

Any thoughts?

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Sep, 2012 09:44 PM

I don't think God wants us to lay down and die if someone is trying to kill our wife. That wouldn't be very loving.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Oct, 2012 11:26 AM

I was willing to take a bullet for my last girlfriend because, at the time, I believed she was my future wife and I was willing to lay down my own life to try to protect her. However, because of what happened, I may not ever be able to love on that level again. It hurts way too much to love on that level and then have the person walk away as if you were just a piece of trash, especially after being told by that same person that "you're better than anyone else I've been with".

Cortezisboaz

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Oct, 2012 02:52 PM

Yes of course martial arts are great for Christians to participate in. I enjoy Tai Chi, Muay Thai, and boxing. I enjoy sparing and even competing. The Bible tells us to treat our bodies as his temple. To be fit and strong are huge components to the martial arts.

1Corintians 9:24-27

1Tim 4:8 tells us that there is value in being fit.

Defending ourselves and others have numerous stories in the Bible. Remember Proverbs 25:26 Psalms 144:1

The martial arts teach self control not how to beat people up. However, in a situation in which one finds him/herself without recourse to protect the innocent, the knowledge of how to do so is evident. Most martial artists never have to use their fighting skill outside of a ring/octogon/mat.

I say for anyone considering learning a martial art....Go For It.:peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Oct, 2012 12:07 PM

Have you competed in Muay Thai? I enjoy watching it. It's a very brutal art(or at least can be)

Cortezisboaz

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2012 04:52 PM

I spar at this point in my life. As a youth I competed in boxing. I didn't begin to learn Muay Thai until I was in my 20's and so never competed in the sport. I'd love to visit Thailand to spar with some of the real competitors but I think it would be somewhat difficult to find those in my weight category heavyweight.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Oct, 2012 11:54 PM

Yea you don't really see many big guys in it