Author Thread: Which Denomination is the correct Denomination?
powr_wgn

View Profile
History
Which Denomination is the correct Denomination?
Posted : 10 Apr, 2009 11:19 AM

This is a question I've posed to myself over the years, more and more as time has passed. I was born and raised in a Lutheran home, attended church and Sunday school, and was involved in my church. Then, as I aged toward my 20's, I realized many people in my church were very gossipy and judgemental of others, which really bothered me. I realize that not all churches are that way, but church is God's temple, and God instructs us as Christians to allow anyone and everyone into the church, as there would seemingly be no reason for someone to go to church unless they wanted to find God and Jesus, correct? Why is it that people must critique the newcomers when God tells us not to judge one another? Is it not true that we are all God's children and we are all of the same family? This world was born from God's decision and humans born from two people, Adam and Eve. Later, as all we Christians know, the Great Flood of Noah's time wiped out all people except for Noah and his family. This means that any way you look at it, we are all truly of the same family. So why is it that we disagree so much on scripture's meaning and that one denomination is better than another or more correct?

I will give my personal opinion on this, however I want others to share their opinion as well.

My opinion on denominations:

I believe that denominations are "special interest" groups, if you will. Catholics and Lutherans and all other denominations butt heads a lot concerning God and Jesus among other things. Each group wants to feel that they are the "chosen" to some extent. God has clearly stated that there is only one of Him, He is the one supreme entity in this universe, no questions asked, without a doubt, so there is no way that multiple religions with far-different views can truly follow the one and only God of Abraham.

My faith is based 100% solely on the Bible, I do not accept non-Bible documents as God's word, and I have many good reasons for this. One of those reasons is common sense. Think, the Bible is one of, if not the longest, book on the planet. Why would God leave something out of His one book and make it complicated to follow Him by making it necessary to look in several places for the whole story? I don't believe He would do that, God is a simple God. He demands specific things, and expects us to follow those demands, just as a child obeys their parents demands. He wants as many of His children to follow Him and worship Him as possible. I believe that God intended the Bible to reach every person, nation, language, and group on this planet because He said so. He has said in the book of Revelation that every eye on earth will have been shown who God is and given the chance to pursue God and Jesus and His lifestyle. Whether or not people pursue Him is another story. I do not believe that one bible is better or more important than another, because I do not believe God would let His only living testament to His existence be tampered with. The KJV is no more accurate or important than the NIV, so on and so forth. There are small differences, however. Keep in mind that the KJV was translated hundreds of years ago, and the NIV was translated much more recently. It simply is a more up-to-date translation for ease of reading. This does not discredit the KJV or the NIV, it simply means that I read the NIV because it is easier for me to comprehend.

Another thing I believe is that God only has one true church, the spiritual church, and we as individuals are each stones that hold that spiritual church together. Whether we go to physical church or not is not as important to God as simply being with God and Jesus in the spirit on the Sabbath. Call me backward, but I believe the Sabbath is still to be observed from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown.

***Note, if it is stated in the Bible that the Sabbath is to be observed on Sunday, please let me know where it is stated, as I want to observe the Sabbath on the correct day.***

I will not type this and put out the feeling that I have read my Bible cover to cover. That is simply not true. I have read sections of each book, but not all of everything. I guess that would make me a hypocrite, however, how many of us have TRULY read 100% of the Bible? Nobody is perfect, and this is my biggest disappointment to God, the fact that I have had the time, but chose to do other things than read His word, commands, and prophecy.

My basic point of this post was to start a discussion for everyone's benefit regarding the "One, True Path to God". What is your feeling on this? Where do you disagree with me, and where do you agree with me? I am anxious to hear everyone's thoughts on this subject so I can have multiple views and be more educated about God, Jesus, and His word.

God Bless

Tim

P.S. Note that I am not attacking or accusing any individual or denomination here. I do not judge people based on their denomination, it is their choice, and that is between God and them. I just want to be confident that people will see my true point of typing this topic, which is to discuss and congregate to advance ALL of OUR knowledge regarding God and Jesus.

antoniobradiano

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jun, 2009 11:21 AM

sorry I forgot to put. In your answer about the sabbath you have to look at it from a historical point back in the day it was Saturday but as Paul said dont argue over doughtful dissputations. Its like the strong saying to the weak you shouldent eat meat sacrificed to deamons when we know God cleaned evrything. You get the point I hope.

Stan4life

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jul, 2009 07:00 PM

hello all;

On this topic of denominations and Sabbath, I'm reminded of Jesus' meeting with the Samaritan woman at Jacobs Well in John 4:21-24, Jesus replied, "The time is coming, ma'am, when we will no longer be concerned about whether to worship the Father here or in Jerusalem. For it is not where we worship that counts, but how we worship-is our worship spiritual and real? Do we have the Holy Spirit's help?....".

I think that time is now. I think that this applies to all christian churches, is our worship spiritual and real, is it Holy Spirit lead? As for the Sabbath, isn't everyday a day to worship God?

a brother in Christ;

Stan

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jul, 2009 07:18 PM

dear stan,, welcome to the forums.

ole cattle

Stan4life

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jul, 2009 07:36 PM

Thanks Ole

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jul, 2009 11:49 AM

Admittedly, there was a lot in here, and I did not read all of it. Hopefully, my response will hit the highlights. Though between my typos and juggling work, I may miss my aim entirely.

*Denominations*

Starting solely with the question, there are several wrong denominations. However, Jesus has only ever been the right answer. Though, when applying this answer, people wind up at funny, non-Biblical conclusions. My favorite of these being "It's just me and Jesus, so I don't go to church."

That's as foolish as it comes. Apart from the corporate body, you are not the church. Jesus put it differently: a city on a hill cannot be hidden. Either you have the love of God and express it to the saints in Christ or you don't. John in 1 John doesn't equivocate on this issue and calls people anit-christs who lack love for the saints in Christ.

*Purpose of the Church*

I'd love to point you to the first article in my blog (also riddled with typos) for a better discussion on my next point. What is the purpose of the church? Ready to be annoyed? The purpose of the corporate meeting is not for people seeking Jesus. It is not to witness to the lost. It's not to minister to the needs of those perishing.

In Ephesians, Paul tells us two things about the church. First, he tells us that the individual members have works that God personally prepared for us. Second, he tells us that the purpose of the officers in the church is to enable and equip the saints for these good works. So, if your church isn't equipping you to evangelize to the lost and be Christ to Christians in need, then your church is condemned. Bad news, right?

*Worship in Spirit*

As for the spiritual comment, that's potentially a troubling statement. I'd like to attack it from two angles. Starting with something I hope troubles every reader: on matters of spirituality, I have more in common with Hindus than Christians. For any of you who have heard Oprah's increasingly voiced blasphemies, my statement should set you on edge. What I mean is this, religion doesn't save us. Going to church on Saturday vs Sunday doesn't please God; giving 50% of our income to the poor doesn't buy God's good pleasure; being able to quote scripture better than the Mormons won't get you 5 extra minutes on this earth or a better seat in heaven. No, in fact, the author of Hebrews is quite clear when he tell us that faith is the only way to please God; and (I think James says this) anything not of faith is sin.

In this regard, my Hindu friends (not all Hindus, just the ones I know personally who practice their faith) understand how to worship in spirit in ways I've rarely seen in Christians. (Making it all the more sad when they fail to see their sinfulness and need for a savior.)

Moving on to the second angle of this attack, Jesus spoke clearly when He said there is coming a time when God will be worshiped in spirit and in truth.

Altogether, this means we worship from genuine motives. We don't bless God's name to receive reward but because we recognize how Holy He is. We won't serve because we want to be esteemed; instead, we'll abase ourselves that God may be glorified in our service; it means that every interaction we have (with the saved and lost alike) will be in a way that shines God's Holiness into their lives to His glory and not to ours.

*Closer*

I've lived a wicked life. I've been selfrighteous. I've been a blasphemer. I've been an idolater. I've been a liar. I've stolen. I've been disobedient to my parents. I've been rebellious (which the Lord counts on par with witchcraft). I commit murder in my heart. My eyes are not pure. So, I don't speak to you as one having already attained to any manner of perfection. Romans 7 might even be theme song.

I do come to you as one having been forgiven. I come to you as one seeking to edify you and serve you. The Lord continues to redeem me of my wretchedness. The toughest thing He's ever told me is that I was a hater of God at a time in my life I thought I'd been most obedient. At times, it's tough to do the right thing, to speak against heresies in our churches and from our pulpits. Never give up. Never allow Satan to defeat your church without a fight. In all things, seek God's face and verify it with His word in Scripture.

May Lord give to each one according to his measure of faith; and may the Lord grant each of us more faith according to God's goodness.

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Jul, 2009 06:12 AM

I only read up to Lynn because I have to step out. I still wanted to give you my view very quickly. I strongly agree with Lynn. Regarding the sabbath being observed on a par�icular day. . Actually, I have friends who are policemen/women, nurses, etc. and their schedules are hectic. What they do is agree on day of that week and observe the sabbath. Is it wrong? I don't think so. The good Lord gave them that talent/skill to be in that line of work. He knows their schedules can not be helped most of the time. So, when they sacrifice time for Him on a different day of the week, the good Lord is pleased. I have to run.

God Bless,

zoe :angel:

noothergods32

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jul, 2009 08:36 AM

I have to say that I find this discussion interesting. A lot of good things have been said and the attitude seems to be right on. Personally I believe that one should look for the right Church, not the right denomination. Every denomination has some churches that are dead and some that are right on and some that are just confused. Personally I tend to fit in best at baptist churches, just where I'm comfortable, I don't like the formality of the high church denominations. However if you find a good church, who cares what denomination it happens to belong to, as long as it is teaching truth?

On the subject of the sabbath I will point out that the 4th commandment is the only one not repeated by Christ in the gospels. It was also originally on saturday and we are given freedom from the mosaic law in Christ. We are now followers of the Law of Grace which is the true law.

AndrewHicks

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Jul, 2011 02:32 PM

Haha, I like that. I totally agree with you. Denomination is irrelivent. We are all after the same soul purpose. We are supposed to be the "church" of Christ. Not the "churches". How can the body of Christ operate when it's missing a limb?

Page : 1 2