Author Thread: I'm single and have a son but I don't have custody of him.
kittylover1980

View Profile
History
I'm single and have a son but I don't have custody of him.
Posted : 19 Apr, 2014 09:51 AM

I was wondering do you still call yourself a single parent if you do not have custody of your child or children. I do not currently call myself a single parent because of that. I do, though, let everyone know who knows me that I do have a five year old son and his daddy and aunt have custody of him. I feel very blessed and then some that people have been taking care of him for me and he is well taken care of and loved and everything despite me not really being around in his life that sort of thing.

Lukia^

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Apr, 2014 05:45 AM

I think being a parent is "having a kid" whether he/she is living with you or not,and being single is "not married".

So you are a parent and single which makes you a single parent.

Thats my thinking!!!!!!

Hisjoymypeace

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Apr, 2014 10:26 AM

My sister Lukia......I couldn't have said that any better(smile)!!! OP, I hope that brings a certainty to your heart that could never be moved! Be blessed.

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Jul, 2014 03:23 AM

I couldnt do that. being separate from my children (unless it was due to illness) would kill me. its a sad place- when something that is a part of your heart- is not there with you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jul, 2014 02:02 PM

Here in the UK, single parent tends to imply the one with custody, or more strictly, the one with legal parental responsibility - biological relationship being irrelevant as you can be a single parent to a fostered or adopted child. I am a parent, and single, but in our dialect it would be more accurate to refer to me as the non-resident parent, and the mother as a single parent.