Author Thread: Why are Religious People Doing This and That?
Admin

Why are Religious People Doing This and That?
Posted : 12 Jul, 2014 11:35 PM

I thought a lot of Christians and other religious people were against drinking, smoking, and drugs. And waiting until marriage to have sex.

But nowadays it seems thats all everyone religious or non religious people tend to do.

Me I am not like these people. I still believe and want to get married. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs.

What are your thoughts on this topic and my choice?

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jul, 2014 03:37 AM

There is a difference between being religious and being faithful. The one means ticking off a superficial checklist to fit into the church and the other is independent of whether there even is a church.

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jul, 2014 11:01 AM

I agree with your choices, mainly because I have made the same choices for my own life. I've never seen anything good come from premarital sex. It's not just an issue of "well the Bible says no, so..." Our respective choices on this subject leave us with something extra that we get to share with only that one special person. From what I've seen among those I know who have crossed that line, that once they do so once, it becomes easier to do so again and eventually the line simply disappears.

As for the other issues (drinking and smoking): Well, I don't think that they are evil things per se. Smoking is just one of those, I think, irresponsible activities that people get into. It's their choice to make and like many other things in life, it's a risk. As for alcohol, well, even Jesus turned water into wine. There was a time that if you wanted to drink something that wouldn't make you ill, you drank alcohol. Nowadays, we have the blessing of clean water and therefore have the option of not drinking alcohol. I have a couple of alcoholics in my extended family, though, and can say that, like anything else, it's fine and can even be beneficial in moderation. Studies have shown that those who drink a glass of red wine each day have a longer life expectancy and are less prone to heart disease.

I once heard it said that when it comes down to it, all we truly have that we can call our own is our values, and if we sell those out, that's it. We have nothing left. I wish you many blessings, sister, in your search for that special person who shares your values!

God bless!

Lukia^

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Jul, 2014 02:16 AM

Sometimes when I think of this alcohol issue I ask myself, "we are servants of God,if we get drunk,and something happens that requires our attention prayerfully,can we be able to deal with the situation in that state?

We are in the work of God all the time,isn't it just right to be sobber for the work that we are called for?

I'm not condemning or judging...Like if you have taken some two glasses of wine,and a neighbour comes with a sick child and needs you to help in prayer for that kid,would you be able to pray a real prayer for the kid,a prayer that can make that kid well?

I just believe as servants of God we are supposed to be in prayer all the time.We have so much to do.

CuriousGeorge

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Jul, 2014 05:16 PM

^ drinking alcohol doesn't necessarily mean getting drunk. Drinking isn't a sin but drunkenness is. Most people just avoid drunkenness by not drinking at all.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2014 05:17 AM

Nothing wrong with an alcoholic drink and the bible nowhere condemns it, unlike the Quran - being drunk though, that's dishonouring to yourself and the Lord.

As for the first reply about premarital sex, I agree 100% that the more you indulge in sin, the less able you are to resist it in future - flee from it!

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jul, 2014 03:29 PM

I think your choice is wise. I think your choices are wise choices. Im proud of you for making sound choices. Just be sure not to brag about it and walk in humility lest you dont fall because not one is righteous not even one. Noone is without sin.

As a follower of Christ we let the Bible be our guide.

We know what God has to say about sex before marriage right? It is not what he wants for us.

There are numerous Scriptures that declare sex before marriage to be a sin (Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 5:1; 6:13, 18; 10:8; 2 Corinthians 12:21; Galatians 5:19; Ephesians 5:3; Colossians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 4:3; Jude 7). The Bible promotes complete abstinence before marriage. Sex between a husband and his wife is the only form of sexual relations of which God approves (Hebrews 13:4).

What about drugs and drinking and smoking? God wants our minds to be sharp and not "under the influence" so that we are wise to the wiles of the devil at all times. God wants us to come out of the world and to set the example of Christlike behavior

God doesnt forbid a drink in moderation. It is drunkenness that he forbids. We all know now that smoking is bad for our lungs so we should not even go there because nicotine is highly addictive.

Drugs are in the same category as drunkenness in my opinion. Ive never known anyone to get just a "little high" have you? So doing drugs is not an option for a true follower of Christ .

What God commands Christians regarding alcohol is to avoid drunkenness (Ephesians 5:18). The Bible condemns drunkenness and its effects (Proverbs 23:29-35). Christians are also commanded to not allow their bodies to be �mastered� by anything (1 Corinthians 6:12; 2 Peter 2:19). Drinking alcohol in excess is undeniably addictive. Scripture also forbids a Christian from doing anything that might offend other Christians or encourage them to sin against their conscience (1 Corinthians 8:9-13). In light of these principles, it would be extremely difficult for any Christian to say he is drinking alcohol in excess to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

The Bible teaches us that �denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world� (Titus 2:12).

Now I have a question for you!

Why did you list your " faith denomination" as clinical vampirism?