Author Thread: For the love of web development/design
Admin

For the love of web development/design
Posted : 7 Jun, 2017 08:45 AM

Hi,

Maybe you're like me, and while you appreciate the intent of this site, you're dissatisfied that the people on it are not any more likely to behave like Christians than are the people of secular sites, alleged Christians and non Christians alike.

Also, perhaps you're like me, and you recognize that a Christian site needs to be doing more to train and hand hold Christians, since the churches have abandoned this mission.

If so, what I want to find are people interested in building a new singles site.

I am a developer, and the project will be written in MVC.NET because 1) I'm a full stack .NET developer and 2) it's the easiest way to work with a designer (since I'm not a designer).

There is no pay; and there is no expectation of future pay. I entirely expect this operation to lose money; but that's not the same as expecting it to fail. Just look at this site. It's ugly as sin, has a small population, and doesn't have a lot to attract people from the web. Yet, we're both here.

At a minimum, I need a web designer. I have a template we can use to start or to inspire you. I would also invite developers and business analyst.

As for level of sophistication, I can train almost anyone for almost any field in IT. I've been at this for 11 years and by God's grace have a resume of someone closer to 20+ years.

As far as I'm concerned, a project like this can be done using free tools and internet based team collaboration. Though, if any of you are in the Seattle/Redmond area, we could also meet up for coffee.

Anyway, message me; and let's see if we can build a platform that not only looks nice but also has guide rails so that men and women are being shown how to find Godly matches rather than carnal matches with people who go to church =/

Thanks,

Mike

sweetworship

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Jun, 2017 12:56 PM

I have a degree in Computer Science but have completely lost touch with the trends. Have forgotten to code as well. However, i am passionate with design and a frustrated graphics designer because i'm self taught. Anyway since you mentioned this is non profit, then i hope you wouldn't mind taking me aboard to learn and maybe help.

Blessings.

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jul, 2017 05:50 PM

I am interested in building a website like this. But let me be more specific: I don't think that we should create another website that works exactly like this. I think, we need to be more creative. Implement features that add real value to the site and attract members. Even if you were to drop a brand new beautiful design on THIS website, it would still be a poor site, because of the lack of features.

Here is the problem: IF I were to make a dating site, I would probably write it in JavaScript and Perl. I love Perl, because it's a beautiful language. And it has been around for ages! All the major bugs and issues in the interpreter have been worked out already. It's very fast, stable, and secure. There are TONS of free samples, examples and documentation online. Not to mention I personally like Perl because it's a multipurpose language. You can create a website in Perl, but you can also do a bunch of other things with Perl. It's not limited to just websites.

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jul, 2017 05:58 PM

I think, what adds real value to a website is what it can do. Also, many dating websites require the users to pay a monthly fee. But guess what! I have been on this site for more than 2 years now. If I had to pay $50 a month for this service, then I would have wasted over 1000 dollars on this thing. And seriously, how many dates did I find from THIS site? Less than 5. And I ended up meeting one girl in person. I suspected from the beginning that she is not the one, but I met her anyway for a first date just to talk and see what she is like. So, if this site was a paid site, I would have paid $1000 for one date in 2 years.