Author Thread: CHILD DISCIPLINE
Admin

CHILD DISCIPLINE
Posted : 31 Jul, 2009 02:09 PM

Proverbs 13:24

Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Proverbs 23:13-14

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.

Proverbs 22:15

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him

I WAS BROUGHT UP IN A CHRISTIAN HOME BY BOTH MY PARENTS. MY PARENTS ORIGINATE FROM NIGERIA AND AS YOU MAY ALREADY KNOW, HARSH DISCIPLINE IS A PERMANENT FIXTURE IN THE VAST MAJORITY OF NIGERIAN HOMES, ESPECIALLY IN RELATION TO THOSE I KNOW, INCLUDING MY OWN.

THE VERSES ABOVE, WERE RECITED TO ME, SO MANY TIMES WHEN I WAS YOUNGER. AFTERWHICH, I WOULD RECIEVE SOME VERY HARSH BEATING FROM MY PARENTS. BEATING TECHNIQUES RANGED FROM THE USE OF WOODEN STICKS, HORSE WHIPS,BELTS WERE A REGULAR AND I WAS EVEN KICKED ONCE. OF COURSE I HAD MISBEHAVED BUT DID I DESERVE TO BE BEATEN LIKE THAT. THERE WAS ONCE A TIME THAT MY PARENTS DOUBLED UP ON ME, IT WAS LIKE A WRESTLING MATCH. THE WORST OF THEIR PUNISHMENTS WAS WHEN THEY PUT HOT PEPPER IN MY EYES, ENABLING THEM TO EXCERSISE FULL USE OF SUCH TOOLS WHICH I HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED, I DEFINATELY WENT TO HELL AND BACK:ROFL:

THE POINT I'M TRYING TO MAKE IS THAT MY PARENTS DESPITE SERVING GOD, USED THE ABOVE SCRIPTURES AS A REASON TO DO WHAT THEY DID.

PERSONALLY, BY GODS GRACE, IF I AM LUCKY TO HAVE CHILDREN, I WILL RATHER TAKE AWAY THEIR PRIVELEDGES RATHER THAN BEATING THEM. FOR EXAMPLE, TAKING AWAY VIDEO GAMES, NO POCKET MONEY, GROUNDING THEM AND SO ON. I WOULD ONLY RESULT TO MODERATE BEATING IN THE WORST CASE SCENARIO.

THAT BRINGS ME TO THE QUESTIONS.

DID GOD MEAN THAT PARENTS SHOULD USE THE ROD LITERALLY?

TO WHAT EXTENT ARE PARENTS TO USE THE ROD,IF THIS IS SO? IN OTHER WORDS, SHOULD MODERATE OR HARSH BEATING TAKE PLACE AND HOW LONG SHOULD SUCH BEATING LAST?

IF A CHILD HAS BEEN ADOPTED, SHOULD THE SAME APPLY?

View Profile
History
CHILD DISCIPLINE
Posted : 31 Jul, 2009 02:24 PM

dear kid, sounds like you got some abuse along with dicipline.. i dont go along with abuse.. but dicipline is alright.. a tap to the behind goes straight to the mind...

i got my hind parts whipped alot growin up.. and i dare to think what id of been like without knowin if i did wrong id be punished and would feel it for awhile.. and i know i turned out to be a better man because of it.. do you feel like you were a better man because of it? cept for the abuse..

you see kids talk back and even cuss back at their parents these days and man let me tell you summin . if id of done that id been pickin myself up off the floor..

i think that not bein able to dicipline them is far worse than any dicipline can harm them..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
CHILD DISCIPLINE
Posted : 31 Jul, 2009 11:57 PM

THANKS 4 THE RESPONSE CATTLE, YES I DEFINATELY THINK I AM A BETTER MAN BECAUSE OF IT, HOWEVER, I JUST THOUGHT THAT SOME OF THE MEASUSRES USED WERE EXTREME AND AS U PUT IT, "ABUSE".

THE UNFORTUNATE THING IS THAT, ALOT OF KIDS THAT WENT THROUGH THE SAME FORMS OF DISCIPLINE, HAVE ENDED UP WORSE, I THANK GOD FOR SAVING ME DURING THIS AND I CAN ONLY BUT PRAY THAT KIDS WHO HAD SIMILAR SITUATIONS WHEN THEY WERE YOUNGER, WOULD FIND HELP, LOVE AND CARE IN GOD,AMEN.

TO WHAT EXTENT ARE PARENTS TO USE THE ROD? IN OTHER WORDS, SHOULD MODERATE OR HARSH BEATING TAKE PLACE AND HOW LONG SHOULD SUCH BEATING LAST?

IN TERMS OF HARSH BEATING, I AM TALKING ABOUT CUTS AND SCARS.

IF A CHILD HAS BEEN ADOPTED, SHOULD THE SAME APPLY?

View Profile
History
CHILD DISCIPLINE
Posted : 1 Aug, 2009 11:34 AM

dear kid,, ya know i imagine folks were prolly whipped a little harder back in the old testament days.. as there were lots they could do wrong that would get them put to death.. so i imagnie the love of a parent then would of been shown a little harsher..

but today i dont see any abuse as a parents right.. no scars or fists...or puttin pepper in ones eyes..my goodness. im sorry you went through that abuse..

i think a whippin with a belt or a switch or ones open hand to a behind certaily wont scar a child for life..and that goes for any child you have.adopted or not.. much better that than for them to wind up in prison or worse,dead.

so much better than lettin em run rampant as society has made rules for that to happen now..

ole cattle

View Profile
History
CHILD DISCIPLINE
Posted : 1 Aug, 2009 11:36 AM

YEAH, YOUR TOTALLY RIGHT, THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE BROTHER CATTLE.

trubeliever70

View Profile
History
CHILD DISCIPLINE
Posted : 30 Aug, 2009 07:43 PM

I believe in spankings not abuse those who abuse i have no use for. I do believe if more would spank we wouldnt have the kids acting up in school in town and the like. I was in a resturant and there was a kid about 8 screaming NOOOOOO!!! at his dad i wanted to go over and whip him myself, which ofcourse i would never do there is no reason that an adult cannot control there children.