Author Thread: Tattoos and other 'body modifications'
2mountain

View Profile
History
Tattoos and other 'body modifications'
Posted : 28 Sep, 2022 11:44 AM

Hello everyone. I'm circulating a petition here for CDFF to have preference search tick boxes for tattoos, piercings, and other voluntary body modifications (plastic surgery lol?) yes/no. Of course, this is a must-have question you can answer when setting up your profile too!

I know it's not one of the TEN commandments, (remember there were supposed to be more?) but it's pretty high up there for some of us. I mean technically it never says 'you shall not drink (alcoholic beverages)' or 'you shall not smoke' in the Scripture, but it definitely does (Moses) say 'you shall not make marks or cuttings on your flesh' in there.

Yes, Moses also said 'you shall not round the corners of your beard' too, but the Amish think they can get away with that. So I guess to some it's a denominational thing about all of this, but to some of us it's rather an important part of our beliefs. Beards grow back anyway, but you never grow out of the tattoos you got. At least not physically?

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Sep, 2022 12:27 PM

Hey, important point. It would be a great addition to the profile editing options!

As for tattoos themselves (I haven't any, and never will get one), they are a hotly debated topic... I have seen people justify them as something suitable for Christians, because their tattoo wasn't done for the dead (the original prohibition was about cutting your flesh for the dead, as pagan way of mourning)..

More important for me than whether somene physically has one, is their attitude about it. If it's a part of their past, a fact of life, then sure, it is under the Blood and the whole person is redeemed. It's more complex when I see Christians bragging about their tattoos, telling that they are much better than 'those hypocritical pharisees', because they have an edgy picture on their arm, or maybe even a Bible verse.

That. to me, is very disturbing...

Vanity and self-glorification is a much bigger issue than a picture on the skin - there is always laser removal, but a prideful attitude is much harder to remove...

TonyB

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Oct, 2022 04:59 AM

There are some that had tattoos and body piercings done before becoming Christian. Whether you have a tattoo or not, or are a male that has been circumcised or not, none of those conditions impress God. That you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and dedicate yourself to following Him, that impresses God. If anyone has an aversion to tattoos etc, they can log their dislike of them in their profile. That's my 2c worth. Thanks for offering up the topic. 😊

PristineUntouched^

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Nov, 2022 09:20 PM

Hi 2mountains,

Thats a very good recommendation you've got. I for one don't like tattoos too.