Author Thread: MUSIC
Admin

MUSIC
Posted : 12 Nov, 2009 11:09 AM

A week or so ago I had somebody pretty much judging me In a sense because of the music I have on my myspace , and I have to say that I am kind of annoyed by that. I see nothing wrong with my music and If I felt lead by God to stop listening to It then I would gladly do so.

To each their own, Is my view point on the kinda music somebody wants to listen to but I would still like some feedback on this topic.

Thank you

View Profile
History
MUSIC
Posted : 13 Nov, 2009 08:49 PM

My opinion? Jesus hates Pink just as much as I do. jk'ing. What topic are we discussing exactly?

View Profile
History
MUSIC
Posted : 13 Nov, 2009 09:45 PM

thats definately a good debate.

but i can say that there is music that the devil works through. music, the media.... they are some of satans favorite venues to get into someones head without them realizing it. im constantly struggling with trying not to listen to the music i used to, because its true, our words and the things we speak from our mouths matter more than we know! and no, most secular music is not demonic by any means, but sometimes things slip by us before we realize what were singing and professing through our mouths is giving satan a foothold in our lives.

the Bible says not to give satan a foothold, and that is some of the best advice out there!

so if you feel convicted, thats probably the holy spirit letting you know something is not of God, and if you're unsure if what you're listening to offends God, ask yourself...is it good? is it true? does any of it conflict with what is Godly? if so, you're better off without it.

and its hard to get rid of old habits and things you once enjoyed, so just ask God to let you know if what you're doing, listening to, or speaking is not of Him, but against Him.

and He WILL show you.

SPEAK LIFE

View Profile
History
MUSIC
Posted : 14 Nov, 2009 07:28 AM

they say some songs would influence someone permanently or for a very long time - when it comes to lyrics

cos we can't say that this or that music is non-God wateva, cos some christian bands are heavy-metal based, for example.

same goes to movies of some that contains certain elements, like sex, or horror, or violence.

just speakin from personal experience anwyay - i found that if i listen to some lyrics or see a movie a couple of times - to some extent, i'd act under influence of those wateva i've heard or seen, without even realising - it's freaky

Stephen_hannibal

View Profile
History
MUSIC
Posted : 22 Nov, 2009 08:22 PM

It depends on the situation and the maturity of the people listening to it.

It's honestly all subjective, honestly, I mean it's art.

deepndaft

View Profile
History
MUSIC
Posted : 3 Dec, 2009 03:25 PM

Actually, it's only been considered art fairly recently in human history. Music has a long history of being linked to ritual, worship and ceremony of various cultures and religions. Calls to war, to worship etc. are based in music around the world - always have been. (bagpipes are still listed by FIFA as offensive weapons, because historically they are - not just because of the sound they make :P)

The fact that music has an effect on humans psychologically is beyond question. There are strong links between concert and 'rave' behaviour and that of hysteria-based rituals. We also 'absorb' lyrics by repeated listening, without any concerted effort to study or memorise them, and there's plenty of evidence that shows that we do absorb the meaning of lyrics, not just empty words.

This is one of the reasons that music is so important in today's church. We tend to judge churches by the type of worship (pipe organ vs full band), and we use music-based worship to take us into God's presence. Clearly, music has an emotive effect on us, and it can have as many negative effects on us as positive.

View Profile
History
MUSIC
Posted : 3 Dec, 2009 05:33 PM

As deepndaft stated, music as an �Art Form� is a relatively new concept. Where does it come from? The whole origination of music as an �Art� comes from Beethoven in the early 1800�s, particularly when he wrote his Heiligenstadt Testament. Might I also mention that the �Heiligenstadt Testament� was Beethoven�s suicide note, which while writing it, he found he shouldn�t kill himself but live for his ART(aka. Music). He is also known for saying music was �Higher than God�. Hmmm, maybe people should check history and see where these secular world views about things like music come from.

Music is a very powerful and emotional tool. It has drastic affects on people. When listening to any music, you must ask yourself who or what is this trying to achieve. Is the person singing this music glorifying God, themselves, worldly pleasures and lust, ect. What are they trying to accomplish in with their music. Are they singing about love, and helping others. Are they singing about God, or are they singing about one night stands and bustin� some caps in the popo.

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof. KJV

I think that says it all right there. Need I say more. What you allow into your thoughts, your mind, and what you let come out of your mouth has severe consequences.

Matt. 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

There is some music that is very neutral, that doesn�t speak of the things of god, but is not morally challenging either. On the other hand there is music that speaks of all kinds of sin, death, fornication, adultery, you/your spouse cheating on one another, getting in a fight, hanging at the club, and the list goes on.

You must ask yourself, what is the purpose for anyone listening to worldly music in the first place. The whole point of secular music is for people who are secular. The whole point of Christian music is to reach people who are Christian. The whole point of Muslim mosque music is to reach people who are Muslim. Do secular people listen to the Muslim prayer singing, no, because they are not Muslim, they are secular. This supports the reason a Christian shouldn�t listen to music that directly goes against the bible�s teachings. What are you feeding your spirit with? If it doesn�t glorify god in anyway, then what good is it. Are they satisfying God�s desires, or their own desires. A good rule to take up, is if it is not honoring, growing, helping, instructing, or encouraging people in their faith and walk with God, don�t do it. That can be applied to any situation in life. Remember we are here solely to serve the Lord, which was the purpose we were created. We are not here to worship ourselves, but to worship him.

View Profile
History
MUSIC
Posted : 6 Dec, 2009 03:00 PM

Well, I judge by music too. Just like I judge by tattoos and body piercings and a number of other things. If the music is full of hateful messages then I'm not drawn to it and I think the person who listens to it is a hateful person at least a little. Music says a lot about a person. If I get judged because I listen to secular music that says a lot too.

There is good music and bad music. I don't separate by Christian and secular. There is bad Christian music and good secular music. Good and bad are relative to the message and the effect on my nerves or help in dancing.

Taste in music changes over time. When I was a little kid I liked Sesame Street, but now I'm not so wild about it. Stuff that used to make me laugh and run around in circles now doesn't get much of a reaction except maybe annoyance.

Chris

jlg1031337

View Profile
History
MUSIC
Posted : 15 Dec, 2009 04:36 PM

Anybody that is going to judge anybody should read Matthew chapter 7. IMO... I'm sure that most people that judge others have something they should look in the mirror about. :dancingp: