Author Thread: Acts chapter 1
Admin

Acts chapter 1
Posted : 9 Jun, 2010 04:13 PM

I am reading a book that goes over the book of acts.

As I read it I think I will share some of it with all of you.

Please feel free to add your input on the first chapter of acts.

Acts1:1-2 The former account I made,O Theophilus, of all that Jesus begun both to do and teach, until th day in which he was taken up,after He through the holy Spirit had given commandments to the Apostles whom He had chosen.

Who is Theophilus?

he is a Roman official.He was a follower or about to become one.Some believe that Luke was the Doctor that treated Theophilus.

I got you all started here and would like you to add your input.Dennis

View Profile
History
Acts chapter 1
Posted : 9 Jun, 2010 04:30 PM

Hey Dennis,

You reading something wonderful. The only thing the Bible tells us about Theophlus, is that Luke wrote to him two letters, Luke and about the Acts of the Apostles.

We can only assume that he was a close friend of Luke and a Christan convert, and Luke felt a need to share with him what was going on. Other than this, I don't know if there is much about Theo... lol

I'll do some internet research and see what I can come up with.

ella

View Profile
History
Acts chapter 1
Posted : 9 Jun, 2010 07:59 PM

There is no historical record of the person by the name of Theophilus. We know him ONLY from the prologue to Luke's two histories.

It is possible that it was an actual person, but it could also be that the two books are written in general to that person who LOVES GOD (the meaning of the word Theo + philus.

You could think of Luke and Acts as I & II Theophilus!

Either way, God included the book of Acts in the collection of Inspired Scripture, and we are so glad He did.

Note that the former treatise (letter, record, account) was on the subject of "all that Jesus began to do and teach."

Since the "FORMER" (the Gospel) was about Jesus began to do, these "LATTER" (The Acts) must be about what Jesus CONTINUES to do. And indeed that is the case, as will be seen as reading continues. Several times, when a miracle occurs, the disciples are quick to point out that "THIS SAME JESUS" had done the miracle.

Perhaps it would be profitable not to bog down on the identity of Theophilus, but to rather just accept the book as FOR US, and move forward in seeing the works of Jesus through His Church?

View Profile
History
Acts chapter 1
Posted : 9 Jun, 2010 09:57 PM

In the notes in my Reformation study Bible, it says that Theophilus may have been Luke's Patron, or benefactor, which means a man who gave Luke enough money to survive while doing his research and writing his two books.

In Christ,

James

View Profile
History
Acts chapter 1
Posted : 9 Jun, 2010 11:16 PM

My study Bible (The NIV Study Bible) concurs w/ what James said.

I find verse 6 to be really interesting. I suppose it's really easy for me to say this in retrospect... since I have the "full story" all bound nice and neat in the Bible... but, seriously... It seems like they were a wee bit clueless, eh? Isn't that just so egocentric for them to focus on how they might profit (how their lives/circumstances might be made better) from the recent events, rather than on the bigger, eternal picture??? Hindsight... I do the same thing--so shortsighted sometimes... It's like every time I read that verse (and Jesus's reply), though, I'm having their "duh" moment for them!! Ya... very judgmental of me, I know!

View Profile
History
Acts chapter 1
Posted : 15 Jun, 2010 01:12 PM

Why don't we start a new thread for the continuation of this study?

Moving on from the identity of "Theophilus" we can agree that God intends it for all of us who love God, no matter what our names! If it is in the Scripture, then it is for us, that we might grow in God.

So I will start a new one called Acts 1 continued