Author Thread: Question about the Children of Believers.........
Admin

Question about the Children of Believers.........
Posted : 11 Jun, 2010 10:07 AM

Do you believe that there is ANY scriptural evidence that the

CHILDREN of believers get any kind of benefits, simply by BEING the children of believers?

In Christ,

James

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Jun, 2010 12:29 PM

A benefit such as salvation by proxy? Nooo... I think there are multiple verses/passages in the New Testament that indicate that one must personally repent and make a conscious decision for Christ. Parents cannot force salvation upon their children. I think I would use Romans 9 in defence of that actually... the idea that salvation is not based upon race/parentage...

BUT... Yes, there are benefits:

"for I, the Lord God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments," (Exodus 20:5b).

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them," (Deuteronomy 4:9).

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give to you today are to be upon your heart. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up..." (Deuteronomy 6:5-7).

"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, so that the days of your children may be many in the land that the Lord swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth," (Deuteronomy 11:18-21).

"This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life..." (Deuteronomy 30:19-20a).

"From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger," (Psalms 8:2, xref Matthew 21:16).

"He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their children, so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children. Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands. They would not be like their forefathers--a stubborn and rebellious generation, whose hearts were not loyal to God, whose spirits were not faithful to him," (Psalm 78:5-8).

"Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children," (Proverbs 17:6).

"The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him," (Proverbs 20:7).

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it," (Proverbs 22:6).

"Peter replied, 'Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off--for all whom the Lord our God will call,'" (Acts 2:38-39).

In short, Christian parents are charged with passing their faith onto their children... The Holy Spirit speaks through believers, including speaking to children through parents. The most important task of a parent is to lead their children to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and then disciple them in that relationship. Children of believers have the benefit (assuming the parents are walking with God daily) of being in an environment where Christ is hopefully preached throughout the day, every day. And I think God uses that to call children to Him. Does that mean they respond to the call? I personally believe that this is not always the case...

Some use that "Train a child..." verse as some kind of proof that children will be "carbon copies" of their parents, but I personally don't interpret any of the Proverbs to be actual "promises." I think there is a distinct difference b/w wise sayings and promises of God. We also must consider the fact that parents are in the PROCESS of sanctification. They're not perfect; they don't train their children up perfectly.

(*grrr* My phone is ringing off the hook and I keep getting distracted and completely losing my train of thought! Why am I only popular when I'm trying to focus and/or get something done?)

As far as the issue of generational sin/blessing, I would really like to "hear" others' thoughts on that... I know that God is merciful and that He delivers children out of some really bad circumstances. But yet, children ARE victims of what parents do. It's hard to know for certain how a sovereign God decides such things... And maybe I'm just overthinking the Exodus 20:5 verse and taking it way out of context.

I have to admit that this whole issue is something that I've really grappled with and am still not real firm in my understanding of...

And there was more I was going to say, but I'm so distracted right now and can't remember what it was I was going to say... *grrr*

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Jun, 2010 03:47 PM

Sorry I can not find it.I know it is there. Paul talks about this very thing. He discusses childern,until the child is of age to make their own mind they do go to heaven if they die.

This question was brought up in one of his letters and he did answer it. he said a believers childern were covered even when one parent does not serve God.I know I have read it and discussed it. I just do not remember all the details.

Maybe someone can help me out here.Paul wrote about it.

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Jun, 2010 03:59 PM

@Dennis- Do you mean 1 Corinthians 7:14??

"For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy."

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Jun, 2010 04:04 PM

Thank you Pixy.You got it.Dennis

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Jun, 2010 04:08 PM

Glad I could be of service, Dennis. However, I don't interpret that verse the same way that you do.

We must use Scripture to interpret Scripture. If we find a specific verse that states how one shall be saved and then find a less specific verse, we are not free to jump to whatever interpretation we please of the less specific verse. We must interpret it in light of the more specific verse.