Author Thread: My Son's 2nd Quarter School Evaluations!
Admin

My Son's 2nd Quarter School Evaluations!
Posted : 13 Mar, 2011 08:46 AM

To give hope to all the single parents out there, and yes, to shout to the world how proud I am of my 13 year old son!!!

My children and I have been through sooooo much together, that to see my son overcoming circumstances in his life that had leveled me at his age has become one of the greatest rewards I could EVER receive...

As a father, I could not be more grateful.

My son Cody attends one of the toughest schools in the state of AZ. He is an honor role student there and is beginning to pass me by on a daily basis...

School Name: ��� Preparatory Academy

Student Name: ��.. , Cody

Course Subject: Music Theory I / Recorder

Grade/Section: 07A-��

Teacher: ��.

Depth of Inquiry and Sense of Wonder:

Cody is an intelligent student in music. He displays a steady understanding of the subject matter through his careful examination of the subject matter. Cody participates actively and is constantly focused in the material. His work is thorough and meticulous.

Basic Understanding of Subject Matter:

Cody maintains a consistent and positive learning attitude in music. He displays an impressive knowledge of the theory concepts, such as note-identification, tetrachord-construction, the use of accidentals on the keyboard and on the staff, and mode transposition. Cody continues to progress steadily in recorder performance.

Participation, Attitude, Behavior:

Cody maintains a positive learning attitude in music. His participation level has been consistent in our class discussions. Cody is clearly engaged in the subject matter. His behavior in class is always polite and respectful.

Participation: A

Projects/Writing Assignments:

Performance/Writing Assignments:

Cody enjoys playing the recorder with his peers. He performed successfully in the Winter concert. I am proud of his accomplishment in recorder performance.

Cody submitted one of the best concert reviews I have read in a long time. He truly listens with an attentive ear.

Performance: A

Concert Review: A

Tests, Quizzes, Homework:

Cody displays a steady knowledge of key concepts of music theory and performance. I encourage him to continue working with patience and diligence. Keep up the good work!

Homework: 100% Quizzes: 100% Tests: 100%

Quarter 2 Grade: A

Semester 1 Grade Final: A

Student Name: ��. , Cody

Course Subject: Ancient History

Grade/Section: 07A- �..

Teacher: ��..

Cody has a good mind which shows itself in our Class discussions where he regularly crowns a segment of discussion with his insight. Cody's academic growth could focus on leadership and generosity, engaging his fellow students and questioning and encouraging their opinions as part of his contribution.

Cody has a very sound grasp of the material as reflected not only in the exam results but also in his contributions to his discussions.

Cody is a very bright student who has achieved the higher Grade predicted in his 1st. Quarter report, and who can continue to improve his grade even further. He is outstanding in our Class discussions, usually providing answers of a deeper, more mature nature than is the norm. He clearly has a good understanding of the subject and seems to enjoy his study. All the signs seem to point to a promising academic future for this young man.

Our Class Project this semester was to make a Timeline reflecting the important dates and developments of the Mesopotamian, Egyptian and Hebrew Cultures. Each Project was judged on its incorporation of useful facts and dates, and in its utility as a learning tool for its author. For his Timeline, Cody did a fine job and scored 91/100.

For his Homework, Cody has a score of 88/100, and for quizzes, his score was equally good at 86/100. His final exam was a fine 97/100. Cody's grasp of the subject displays his serious approach to homework and in his overall high standard of general knowledge of this subject.

Other / Grade Breakdown:

If Cody was looking for somewhere to improve, in addition to intellectual generosity, it would be the legibility of his handwriting.

Quarter 2 Grade: B+

Semester 1 Grade Final: A-

Student Name: ��.., Cody

Course Subject: English Lit/Comp 7

Teacher: Thomas ��

This semester, Cody has shown a strong sense of wonder and depth of inquiry in English class. He has steadily worked to improve the relevance and focus of his contributions to the class discussion, deepening the level of his inquiry, while maintaining a healthy sense of humor and sense of wonder. His written work, as noted below, reflects the same diligent inquiry and wonder at the possibilities of literary expression.

Based on his final exam, as well as his earlier work, Cody has shown mastery of the grammatical rules we have discussed this semester--from the parts of speech to phrases, clauses, and sentence structure. He has clearly grasped the nuances of showing sentence structure through identifying and diagramming both phrases and clauses. He has demonstrated a basic understanding of paragraph structure, crafting a well organized and unified discussion of Scrooge's change of character for the final exam.

Cody has shown an excellent attitude in English class: he has participated often zealously in class discussions, clearly engaging with the material we have been studying. His behavior has been excellent this semester, as well; he has worked from the beginning to perceive and adhere to appropriate classroom decorum.

N/A

Cody has completed all of his written evaluations with evident thought and attention to detail. He has turned in his homework on time, as well, taking care to prepare for both literary discussions and grammar lessons.

4th Quarter:

Shane Test: 97/100

Final Exam: 189/195

Quizzes: 98%

Homework: 100%

School Name: ��.. Preparatory Academy

Student Name: ��., Cody

Course Subject: Latin I 7

Teacher: ���

I had earlier mentioned Mr. ��.'s love for preserving and maintaining the word order of Latin sentences in his English translations. This is a way to preserve and communicate the feeling and flavor of its thought structure to others who do not know Latin, and its peculiarity and foreignness has ever been a draw to Mr. ��... Latin, however, in its own word order is not meant to sound strange in Latin. So, to preserve this strangeness in an English translation does not in fact make for a good translation, and he should understand this.

In his Latin composition work �� has done a fine job in writing sentences in the natural balanced word order of Latin; this shows that even when he commits errors in his inflexions he is nevertheless striving to think Latin as a Roman would, and this is really great. He is developing a feeling for the language and a skill that in time will lead him to a fine appreciation for its literature.

Mr��� is also thrilled to be learning an 'ancient' language, because it puts him in direct contact with the minds of people who lived, and thought, and sang, and loved, in worlds remote from us in time and distance. He is very much enjoying the journey, and he also reports that he is looking forward to learning classical Greek as well, because he often looks up Biblical passages in the original Greek.

This quarter ��� has done a fine job in mastering his verb conjugations which were flawlessly reproduced in his exam. He is having some difficulty with the declensional system of substantive forms, but steady practice in the declension of new words as he learns these will reinforce what he has already learned and repair the spots where he is having trouble.

I would like him in his translations to work on the quality of his English by looking out for potential misunderstandings that may arise from his passion for maintaining the Latin word order in English. In his comprehension of written Latin he is hampered mainly by some of the vocabulary that he could not recall, and not so much by misinterpretations of the Latin case endings. Only in one clause did he disregard the distinction in the endings between singular and plural.

He has done quite well this quarter in building a foundation for continued work in Latin next semester.

��� has a great attitude, and he has been a fine example to his class of gentlemanly conduct, being ever considerate and thoughtful of those around him. He often tends to a more quiet mode of observation however, and I want to encourage him to take steps to increase his participation by offering to help other students in class when they run into troubles which he understands and for which he has a solution.

In addition, he keeps much of his passion for Latin private, and it would be wonderful for him to begin sharing it with his classmates.

NA

Vocabulary Quizzes: 86%

New Grammar Quizzes: 90%

Comprehensive Grammar Tests: 92%

Homework: 100%

Participation: B+

1st Quarter Grade: A-

2nd Quarter Grade: A-

Semester Exam: 93%

1st Semester Grade: A-

Other / Grade Breakdown:

Mr. ��. is on a good path; I continue to look forward to working together with him on his Latin. Congratulations on a great first semester.

Quarter 2 Grade: A-

Semester 1 Grade Final: A-

Student Name: ��. , Cody

Course Subject: Life Science

Grade/Section: 07A- ��

Cody has demonstrated a strong sense of wonder by posing questions both in and out of the classroom that both probe the concepts in the course and relate them to topics in other courses. Similarly rather than just asking questions, Cody has actively attempted to solve them for himself and has tested the understanding that he has come to in conversation and on his written evaluations.

Cody has demonstrated an outstanding grasp of the subject matter in Life Science class, as shown by his nearly perfect scores on both quizzes and tests this quarter, as well as his score of 139/145 on the final exam. Cody also demonstrates this strong understanding through his active and constructive engagement in class discussion.

Cody has a somewhat reserved demeanor in the classroom, but is not disengaged from the class discussion. I strongly encourage him to continue to reflect and comment on the contributions of other students in the class with an aim to helping the better understanding the material, as I have seen him do during discussion. Since Cody tends to take a somewhat passive role at times, I encourage him to try and find ways to use his understanding of the material to aid his fellow classmates, through clarification, and by offering aid during group work session.

Participation: A-

N/A

Tests: A

I encourage Cody to continue to respond as he often does to questions with more detail than is required as another way to show and work on his level of inquiry into the material.

Quizzes: A

Homework: A

Student Name: ���, Cody

Course Subject: Pre Algebra/Algebra I

Teacher: ���

Cody is doing a great job in Pre-Algebra. Although he is often quiet during class, it is obvious that Cody is always honing his skills in mathematics. When he does pose a question, he is usually thinking one step ahead of a basic comprehension. He is very modest in nature, but I cannot say enough about his attention to detail and the way in which he absorbs the mathematical processes that we are covering on a daily basis. As we approach more new material in the coming semester, I want to see Cody challenge himself to ask bigger questions that are beyond the scope of the subject matter (with some limitations). He is always on topic and has a great affinity to learn.

Cody has a solid comprehension of the skills that we covered this semester which included; algebraic expressions, order of operations (with integers, decimals and fractions), solving one-step equations and inequalities, measurements of central tendency, factors and exponents, scientific notation and graphing inequalities. He is very methodical in the processes involved in his solutions, and I will be curious to see how he approaches the unit involving volume and surface areas of geometric solids this semester. My guess is that he will enjoy the beauty of the modular solutions, and continue his efficient means of solving problems.

Quarter 2: Participation Average � A

Cody has achieved a great balance in his participation in class, so much so, that he has almost become (dare I say it) too quiet and modest in nature. I say this because I want to see Cody be an active leader in class. He has seen such a great deal of growth/maturity this quarter, and he is a great role model for his peers.

Not applicable

Quarter 2: Homework Average � 94%, Quiz Average � 98%, Test Average � 86%, Final Exam 87%

Cody�s work in all areas of the course is always top notch and he always approaches each problem with the careful attention to detail that is necessary to have great success in the course. I know that the exam process is somewhat new to him (different from Montessori), but he is making some good adjustments in all aspects of his work as he adapts to the curriculum at ��� .

Other / Grade Breakdown:

Cody is an exceptional student and I wish him continued success in the coming months.

Student Name: ��.. , Cody

Course Subject: Art 7

Grade/Section: 07A- ��.

Cody exhibited both a sense of wonder and depth of inquiry in art this semester. He asked questions in a thoughtful and cumulative way. He effectively applied ideas that were discussed to the process of art and hence improved his technical and creative skills. Throughout the process, he was able to analyze his own work and explored new solutions while remaining open to suggestions. He was excited about taking steps beyond the basic parameters of the assignments. This led his discoveries in art to a deeper and personal experience.

Cody has a solid understanding of the concepts introduced in art this semester. He is not only able to verbalize his understanding of the Elements of Design, but also able to apply this understanding to his projects. Technically, his skills have improved significantly over the semester. This is clearly evident in his observation drawings. During class, he is able to identify strengths and weaknesses in his own work as well as that of his peers. It is clear that he is becoming more and more confident in the process of art.

Cody is genuinely enthusiastic about art and the nature of creative discovery. He takes the subject seriously and sees it as a worthy pursuit. He is eager to learn new techniques and sees it as an exciting challenge. He participates in classroom discussions. He politely shares his discoveries with his peers and offers constructive criticism to further their understanding and skills. While working on projects, he consistently stays focused and on task. He assists with the daily clean up of the classroom. He takes pride in the work that he creates and is equally respectful of others� work.

Cody has completed all assigned projects this semester. His work reflects his understanding of the concepts, as well as the instructions. He effectively used the Elements of Design in his projects. In his pencil drawing, he used Line, Shape, Texture and Value to create Form. His Linear Texture Project was also very successful, in which he created a strong composition with movement and a full range of values with creative patterns. All of his projects clearly show an attention to detail and organization as well as genuine effort and a commitment to improve his drawing skills.

Cody not only completed all homework assignments on time, but consistently went beyond the requirements. His work completed outside the class reflects the same efforts and dedication he has exhibited in his class projects. One can easily see the cumulative improvement of skill in his sketchbook as the semester progressed. His sketchbook is exemplary. He also did well on the Elements of Design quiz early on in the semester.

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Apr, 2011 05:25 AM

:applause: Awesome!

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Apr, 2011 03:23 PM

:applause: Congratulations to Cody and of course to You! :

Hi! I'm Sugar_and Spice :glow:

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Apr, 2011 07:23 PM

Thank you very much for the comments.

I can't believe my dad posted my grades online, :rolleyes:

Dad's do strange things sometimes. Especially mine! :ROFL:

Wow would I love to spend the day writing about my dad here. That would be delightful! Time for me to go.

Cody :peace:

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Apr, 2011 10:14 AM

congratulations Cody and Daddy :)

I'm well aware of the struggles that come with single parenting.

bless you guys!

River

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Apr, 2011 06:50 PM

Thank you Riveroflife,

Being a single parent certainly presents its challenges ;)

Like when you let your 13 year old make a single remark (above) :rolleyes:

Especially when its gonna be permanent :toomuch:

haha

...Dad :winksmile:

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Apr, 2011 09:18 AM

hehe, YES