Author Thread: What if schools were different?
Gourd00

View Profile
History
What if schools were different?
Posted : 28 Nov, 2011 09:43 AM

What if our school systems were radically different? What if you didn't have to sit in chairs for long hours each day? What if little pieces of paper didn't determine whether you were competent at your prospective job position/educational background? There is a movement going on amidst the educational field that not everyone knows about, and it challenges a lot of the typical practices of public schools. Here is a video of Alfie Kohn, a leading education critic (who has scientific research to back up his claims), which brings up a lot of the important points people should consider when thinking about how we do school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ephQ8Y8Srkw

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jan, 2012 11:44 AM

what if the students were radically different? such as in China and Japan where students take it much more seriously?

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Feb, 2012 10:32 AM

i dont know much about the school system now days. I just know peer pressure may be a real thing and a problem. I also wonder who runs the show when it comes to what the curriculum is for students and is it as varied and specified as it needs to be to the way the students learn. Students learn differently. Some visual, some verbal. Some teachers may not know how to teach correctly? Is the fault of the students attention not kept on the teachers and their abilities? Does their need to be a stronger and more complex degree program for teachers and receiving a teaching degree?

EradifyerAO

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 May, 2013 06:39 PM

Indeed, some rad ideas here. As we think about changing things up - what are core elements that SHOULD be in place when educating children in what life is about? Moral standards, history, laws of nature, literature, even relationship... All found in Scripture... It seems schools, and to a larger extent the NATION has Biblical foundations. Just think, when the teachers, and students are operating in the fruits of the Holy Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, PATIENCE.... What an atmosphere of learning, and exposure of Truth to the young minds that are simply absorbing everything as they encounter it... It may perhaps even open students up to CHALLENGE what the teachers are teaching, which is a indication that thier minds are validating what they are taking in... This is a critical point for children. But think, those children grow into the society of our future. The principles, foundations and philosophies shape where the world goes to some extent. I always had sickly feeling in school with the secular, generic "education" they were shelling out - rewarding anyone for showing signs of intellectual effort. But whats the modivation? The child's morals could be WAY off!! I can't imagian who the school system has rewarded because the student merely "showed interest in the material..."

God, bring your presence back into our learning endeavors, and bring intimacy in place of generalization!