Author Thread: Joining and Serving
MindOfChrist2008

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 12 Feb, 2009 03:17 AM

I'm curious about the biblical implications of serving in the armed services overseas in combat, especially when innocent lives are taken by mistake. For instance, there's talks about the War in Iraq where soldiers DO NOT know when a supposed child is armed with explosives or anybody for that matter and end up taking their lives, because of this mistake. How exactly does that line up scripturally? I know that I probably could not wear that on my sleeve as that is a heavy burden to bear psychologically, not to mention the spiritual aspect of it all.

Hmmm... any "born-again' believers whose spouses or family members served in the war that battled these same thoughts?

This is one thing that is keeping me from enlisting in the marine corp.

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 14 Jul, 2009 11:22 AM

I am opposed to fighting in the military based off of how Jesus lived. Pardon me for being a red letter Christian here, but how Jesus lived his life in the gospels is how I view we should live today. Turn the other cheek. Do not repay evil with evil but repay evil with good.

I won't ever serve but thanks to those who chose that path!!

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 1 Sep, 2009 03:32 PM

I dont like the war at all, but this war is Biblical. I wont be fighting but I do feel good to defend the land of the Free.

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 9 Sep, 2009 07:37 PM

Well said elisee! While i myself never served, i greatly appreciate all that do. My oldest daughter and her husband, both serve in the Navy. My son intends 2 join the Marines. One of the major deciding factors for them, was to keep the children in our country from having 2 fight, and defend themselves here at home. Many here in the states take freedoms that we have 4 granted. They tend 2 forget, that the only reason they have them, is because someone faught and died just 4 that reason . Can u imagine if we were not allowed to assemble, nor choose which faith we want 2 practice. GB! shelly

TaxMan

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 9 Oct, 2009 09:43 AM

As someone who is over "there," right now I can say that, spiritually, I have no issues doing what I do.

90% of it what I do is in support role this time 'round.

During my last deployment, I had to test my metal a few times. Though I still often wonder if I could have had a different outcome if I did things differently I dont feel that what I did was wrong.

Some things, despite them being right or wrong, will leave you with questions of "what if this didnt happen? Why did this happen?" It makes the choices no less right and no less wrong.

I'm sure those Biblical soldiers who were sent in to clear entire cities of every living item had second thoughts before, during and especially after the fact. It didnt make what they did any less right.

There is no "red letter" (as used a few posts above) view on war. One should never confuses their own views on morality with doctrine issued to them, weather it is handed down by a boss or a government.

While over here fighting for whatever lame-braned idea it is that we are here for, the only time I've seen a soldier use force (despite what media would have you believe) was during a time of imminent threat to himself or those around him.

Granted, I dont see everything that happens, but I've seen enough and done enough to believe this is the case. Which brings me to the idea that doing one's duty in a professional, conservative manner is A-Ok.

At any rate I dont think I'm lying to myself when I say that I dont think that there are any negative Biblical implications to doing what you gotta do when you gotta do it.

If it's not for you, it's not for you and dont sweat it.

-David

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 28 Aug, 2010 11:48 AM

For a just war it may be ok biblically, but the u.s. certainly isn't in a just war now. I see people are quick to run to the O.T. to justify bloodshed while disregarding what Jesus says about it:

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Beware of anybody who stands behind Old Glory & justifies war and bloodshed all in the name of patriotism. They've been duped.

So, to make a short answer long, a Christian should not fight for a nation that's leading the charge and diving headlong into the new world order.

Question everything--ESPECIALLY preachers and politicians.

teach_ib

View Profile
History
Joining and Serving
Posted : 17 Oct, 2010 06:46 PM

Jesus' kingdom is not of this world. In the end the Christian's kingdom will not be of this world. Until then, we are here to spread the Gospel. In some cases, to get the Gospel into other countries, it requires fighting against Satan's representatives in the form of dictators, terrorists, thieves, etc. For those who think the military is contrary to the Bible, what is your opinion of law enforcement officers? They have a similar role only usually on a smaller scale. As long as there is sin in the world, there will be need for law enforcement and the military. I believe in Revelations, Jesus will return with His armies to defeat Satan and his armies...and there will be a LOT of bloodshed.

I have enlisted in God's Army and look forward to fighting against Satan and his army and the ultimate victory.

Page : 1 2