Author Thread: Single Parent with Disabled Children
Admin

Single Parent with Disabled Children
Posted : 29 Oct, 2007 07:50 AM

I am a single parent that has two developmentally disabled sons. They are 23 and 25. Are there any other people in the same boat? I have found not many men out there willing to accept this.

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Nov, 2007 08:14 AM

hello i am a single father with three girls one who is disabled

and i would probably say its the same for single fathers as it is for single mothers

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Nov, 2007 11:54 AM

This is the reason I am posting on Christian singles web sites. I figured Christians would be more accepting of people in our situation. I also have strong moral convictions, not into partying, and seeking others with non-destructive lifestyles. So far I haven't had much luck, but I do believe the Lord has the right person in mind for me--someone who will accept my two sons.

Rsabina

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jan, 2008 01:31 AM

I have a 12 yr old with a disability and I notice that when I am out with him, men don't even seem to notice me or speak to me in situations where they otherwise would. But I think it is more that I have young children than specifically that he has a disability. I have a 6 year old also, both children I had late in life, and I find men whose children are already grown do not have any desire to start over with a young family.

darla42

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jul, 2008 06:38 PM

Hi,

I have twin boys one whom has down syndrome and adhd and the other son has adhd. I have noticed even with my family how differently my boys get treated. Does anyone else experience this? God has blessed my with these boys and for them to be treated like outcasts is not right they are God's children too!!! I want a man who will treat my boys as if they are his own but most people just don't understand that kids with disablities need to be loved to.

LLLK

View Profile
History
Posted : 31 Jul, 2008 09:05 PM

Hi Darla

How old are your twins? My child with DS is 13 so by now it doesn't bother me as much but I still have my moments. On a positive note, because this boy is so outgoing and friendly, he manages to get smiles and people talking to him where ever we go even though he is pretty much nonverbal. Even his negative attention seeking behaviors make people laugh:dancingp: and they smile when they should have been angry (leaning into their cars and beeping the horn when they are looking the other way--makes them jump--and he thinks it is funny). My ex in-laws would have nothing to do with him.

Surprisingly also is that men I have dated seemed to take to him easier than to my younger, typical son. But taking him on as a stepchild, well ...I'm sure that would be another story to them. I wonder if the excuse "I'm too old for a new family" means they can't handle a disabled child. Their loss, for he enriches all the lives he touches.

Blessings to you and your children.

cajungirl

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Dec, 2008 09:32 PM

As a single mother of three kids, one of which is autisitic, I understand your struggle. I understand that it will take a special kind of person to be able to deal with the challenges that a special needs child (or two) can bring. When a single parent dates, they aren't just dating for themselves. For that reason, I find myself to be a little selective on the men I chat with. I do worry that I won't be able to find someone that will be understanding of the ins and outs of autism.

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jan, 2009 06:57 PM

I too have a six year old son diagnosed with Autism and adhd. If you would like to exchange e-mails please get back with me.

God Bless,

Arlena

View Profile
History

I too have a six year old son diagnosed with Autism and adhd. If you would like to exchange e-mails please get back with me.

God Bless,

Arlena

View Profile
History

God Bless,

Arlena

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jan, 2009 07:06 PM

It is hard for a man to even think about dating a woman who is a single-mom period. I've always told my best-friend and she too is a single-mother, that it would take a special man to be a part of my life and my sons (he has Autism and Adhd).

Most men though , are not up to the challange.

I am believing for a true man of God.

Don't lose heart -You and your family will be in my prayers

regards,

Arlena

Page : 1 2