:peace: :waving:

CuriousGeorge

View Profile
History
"woop" your kids
Posted : 11 Sep, 2014 12:56 PM

Deuteronomy 6 : 6-7

Proverbs 31 : 26

how are these verses related to the topic?

Colossians 3 : 21

Ephesians 6 : 4

I wouldn't consider a spanking to be provoking your child to anger. It is a form of discipline just like any other.

there is nothing in the bible which says it is wrong to spank your child.

Teilu

View Profile
History
"woop" your kids
Posted : 12 Sep, 2014 03:02 PM

The bible does not say "do not discipline your children", nor does it say to lay hands on them in a "whooping" way.

We've discussed this actually, "spare the rod, spoil the child". Spare the rod, spare DISCIPLINE from a child and they can be spoiled. That doesn't mean literally grab a rod and beat the child until they are somehow transformed into a righteous being.

For the very FEW scriptures on how to discipline a child, there are too too TOO many more speaking of peace, LOVE, patience, kindness, to go the extra mile. We are to do all we can to Love FIRST, to strive for peace with EVERYONE(children included). I hardly believe anyone would feel comfortable going before God and swinging on a child.... Would that be looking like Jesus?

The worst of it is many parents do not know how to separate their ANGER from needed Constructive CORRECTION. Many times, parents are NOT disciplining their child, but are ANGRY because they did something they didn't want them to do. Correction is good, Anger is Not. TEACH them the right way FIRST, don't just go swinging anytime billy touches a lolly pop in the store. He is a CHILD for goodness sake, that's what children do! LoL! Oy.. (-___- ) Lol Have you ever taught the child the right way? Then why hit them when they fumble and do it the wrong way? They Don't Know. TEACH first. Then decide "ok, we need to correct this because you're not getting it, darlin"

Discipline is good, VERY good, it shapes us and molds us. It's how Father considers us His sons and daughters. Saying it's ok to do this or that to physically harm a child because YOU deem what they did "whoop worthy"... I've yet to see any scripture where my Father would applaud that... (-__- )

Ultimately, that child is NOT yours, but a blessing from Father. We are NOT our own. To say you can physically harm another soul, a HELPLESS soul at that, is unacceptable. There are just TOO many other ways to correct a child.. Teach the child as their leading example, Correct the child (without anger in your heart), and above all, please, Love them... Because love covers a Multitude of Sins(for every adult AND child..) :(

(*bows sincerely* I truly hope this helped a little. My apologies for it running a little long :( )

CuriousGeorge

View Profile
History
"woop" your kids
Posted : 12 Sep, 2014 08:52 PM

Pro 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. (KJV)

the rod means an actual rod here, not a general form of discipline.

and yes while there are numerous verses speaking of peace, love, patience, kindness etc, they do not mean "don't spank your child." Spanking is just a form of discipline just like any other. People are quick to equate it with "physical harm" or "swinging on a child" as you put it. It's true that many parents do it out of anger and that's obviously not the right way to do it.

like i said in my last post "no one says you have to be abusive or violent. some people obviously take a wooping too far. "

Also no one said spanking is the ONLY form of discipline to be used in every situation because it's not.

View Profile
History
"woop" your kids
Posted : 13 Sep, 2014 11:32 AM

It's better to beat the little idiot half to death because he keeps playing in the road than have a car run him over completely dead. Harsh but true.

That said though not everyone responds well to physical punishment, sometimes you need to be more clever, hit him where it actually hurts instead of just his bum.

Teilu

View Profile
History
"woop" your kids
Posted : 14 Sep, 2014 11:59 PM

George, if that's the case, then you'd have to distinguish how you're meant to use the rod. Did it say swing it at the child or can we tie him to it and hoist him up on the wall until you wish to deal with him later? LoL

Again, that scripture doesn't say how to use the rod or if it's but one swing or ten. We don't have enough there to determine if you should "whoop" a child. Discipline is so circumstantial.

In this case i don't think you can accurately say "yes, hit the kid" or "no, don't thwack the child" lol.

And Rambo, good gracious, man! O___O Are you the hulk or something?! LOL No - Smash - Kids!! Please and Thank you!! ^.^

View Profile
History
"woop" your kids
Posted : 15 Sep, 2014 11:09 AM

It was figurative hyperbole hahaha

CuriousGeorge

View Profile
History
"woop" your kids
Posted : 17 Sep, 2014 11:01 AM

Once again, the bible clearly says to use the rod.

distinguish how you're meant to use the rod? well that's up to your discretion. Does the bible spell out exactly how to administer other forms of discipline? how many minutes of timeout to give your child? no but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Teilu

View Profile
History
"woop" your kids
Posted : 17 Sep, 2014 02:44 PM

George, that's what I'm saying, darlin. The bible says use the rod, but it doesn't say HOW to use it, so you can't definitively say "yes, God says "woop" your kids".

Do you understand? :}

You said use scripture, so we have to go off of what's there. We can't imply our Own understanding to what's written. In some countries, you say 'dog' and they think loyal companion, in other countries, they think 'dinner time!' @__@ Unless Father has it clearly written how to use the rod, we can't add our own perspecitve.

You see that scripture, and see "woop your kids with it", i see it, and take and get a sly smirk, plotting at all the genius different ways i can use a rod to teach my child a lesson >x} (I personally am concocting a plan that uses the rod as a mobile to strap the kid to. Maybe even put a plate of cookies at the bottom as visual torture LoL! "Billy, You can't come down for cookies until you vow to clean your room!" LOL)

CuriousGeorge

View Profile
History
"woop" your kids
Posted : 17 Sep, 2014 04:18 PM

I really can't understand your logic. please read the verse again.

"Withhold not correction from the child: **FOR IF THOU BEATEST HIM WITH THE ROD**, he shall not die."

If that that verse doesn't spell out "WOOP YOUR KIDS" then I don't know how much clearer you want it to be. No, it doesn't say HOW to woop them but it DOES say to woop them. There is no double meaning like dog being loyal companion or dinner. You can research the Greek/Hebrew origin of the words "rod" and "beat" if you like. This verse is crystal clear but you can go ahead and interpret it however it suits you.

Page : 1 2 3