Author Thread: The name of God
Admin

The name of God
Posted : 4 Jun, 2010 08:17 PM

I have seen this a lot and it kinda bugs me. On the discussion forums when people say something about God, they write it "god" or "lord". In the Bible when it says "god" it is referring to the idol gods that the people made and worshiped. But when it refers to the God in Heaven, the One who created the universe and everything in it, it ALWAYS uses a capital G. When it calls Him Lord, it is spelled LORD. Even when He is called Father a capital F is used. In my opinion, when we neglect to properly capitalize someone's name it is lazy and improper grammar. But when we neglect to properly capitalize God's name it is disrespectful, we are putting Him on the same level as man-made idols.

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 4 Jun, 2010 08:27 PM

I agree!

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 4 Jun, 2010 09:07 PM

I agree! And I am so glad you posted that!

InHisHonor

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 4 Jun, 2010 09:07 PM

I tend to agree with you and I normally write it as God, Lord, He, His, The Word, etc. BUT I wouldn't write people off because they don't do it. Mostly it's not because they are being disrespectful they just don't think of it along those lines.

If we start writing people off because they don't use a capital letter we are going to fall into legalism.

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 4 Jun, 2010 09:12 PM

InHisHonor made a good point; we don't want to be legalistic. Well, some people like to be legalistic, but we shouldn't want to be like that.

GraceMae

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 4 Jun, 2010 09:27 PM

katiek... I agree with you, BUT.... I also have learned... especially on this site... that not everyone is technically, and even spiritually respectfully literate in typing grammatically proficient. For some, I know, it is not intentional. For those of us suave with typing skills where grammar and punctiation come natrually, it isn't for many. I'm glad you brought it up again though. [I goof up too sometimes... but never intentionally....]

GraceMae

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 4 Jun, 2010 09:32 PM

a little more... Many of us believers have a true heart for God, and want to interact with other believers in fellowship, but often don't have that same level of education to express "in writing" a way that is the socially correct standard". So, we can't discard this area of deficiency in our brothers and sisters in Christ. I think we, as we deal (and read from) with one another, we keep those things in mind too. It makes a big difference in our perceptions I think. We are just "human" beings.

~ GraceMae

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 4 Jun, 2010 11:51 PM

Hello Everyone;My screen name is trucker:

My real name is George

I would say that most people that are Christian,do not know the name of GOD;Nor do they know where the names GOD and Lord are from.

To begin,the names GOD/God and LORD/Lord these are really titles not names.

Just as President,Senator,Dad and Mom are also titles.

These represnt postions of authority and relatiopnship,yet these do not say anything about the person themselves.

The name(s) of YHWH tell us who He is and what He is like.

Within the Old Covenant there are at least 27 revealed names of YHWH,and Yeshua manifested all of these names to the disciples..

John 17 :6;11-12

Colosians 1:19

There is a very important Scripture in Matthew that needs to be understood and it pertains to the name(s) of YHWH

Matthew 28:18-20;The Jewish men that Yesua commissioned,they were to go to the unclean Gentiles(nations) and they were to make disciples of Yeshua with them.

This discipleship includes to be BAPTIZING,the Gentiles into or with the name(s) of YHWH.

the word BAPTIZING is a continuous action,not just a one time action...LOOK THIS UP.

This Scripture is talking about making disciples,not water baptism.

Water baptism is mention in Acts 2:38

For too long the Body of Yeshua has not been taught what the Scripture in John 28:18-20 really is about.

How many Christians know the names of YHWH to be able to teach the people.

Here is a very interesting Scriptuer pertaining to this,in Jeremiah 23:18-32 especially verse 25-27;The lord says that the false prophets tell the people thing that will make the people to forget His name.

Is it possible that we are doing the same here in the USA...

Just something to be chewing upon for a while..

Yeshua says in John 14:13-14 to be asking in his name;What is or are His name(s).Remember Yeshua and YHWH are one(Jonh 17:21-22.This might be talking about their escence).

Since Yeshua manifested the name(s) of the Father and they two are one,they therefore share the same name(s).

Please do a study on the name(s)of YHWH by taking a Strongs concordance and whereever you see the title GOD/God or LORD/Lord in the Old Covenant look up the name that is there and you will be amazed at what you have been missing.This is because we have men that say they have been called of YHWH to teach,yet they really do not teach much of anything.

They are to busy telling us what Spurgeon or Luther or some other man wrote,yet they do not give much of the word,nor do they even teach the people how to read the word Of YHWH.

I could write much more about this,yet this should be a good starting point.

The body of Yeshua needs to confees the unbelief that is present and trust YHWH to raise up men that will teach and instruct the people with the word,just as it is written,not as the people want their ears to be tickled.

Thank you for letting me to ramble on for a bit.

trucker/George

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 5 Jun, 2010 12:05 AM

I mistyped a word,in the last message i wrote.

There is a sentence saying John 28:18-20,This should actually be saying MATTHEW 28:18-20..

I am still trying to get me sea legs with this computer stuff..

I am still a rookie,only been using computer for 13 months.

trucker

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 5 Jun, 2010 03:53 PM

Trucker I agree with you.

Jehovah is a hebrew word and that is a name of God.

I used to know some of th other names but only one comes back write now.

Jehovah Jirah, I forget what it means.

Somebody else can fill in the blanks.

Dennis

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 5 Jun, 2010 05:05 PM

Jehovah Jireh means "The Lord Will Provide"

Some other names are:

Jehovah Roi - "The Lord My Shepherd"

Jehovah Shammah - "The Lord is Present

Jehovah Rapha - "The Lord Our Healer