Author Thread: The name of God
Admin

The name of God
Posted : 4 Jun, 2010 08:17 PM

I have seen this a lot and it kinda bugs me. On the discussion forums when people say something about God, they write it "god" or "lord". In the Bible when it says "god" it is referring to the idol gods that the people made and worshiped. But when it refers to the God in Heaven, the One who created the universe and everything in it, it ALWAYS uses a capital G. When it calls Him Lord, it is spelled LORD. Even when He is called Father a capital F is used. In my opinion, when we neglect to properly capitalize someone's name it is lazy and improper grammar. But when we neglect to properly capitalize God's name it is disrespectful, we are putting Him on the same level as man-made idols.

GraceMae

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 5 Jun, 2010 05:47 PM

and.... Jehovah Nissi - my banner, strong tower... :angel:

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 8 Jun, 2010 09:57 PM

I speak English. Paul spoke Greek and probably a half dozen other languages.

There is NO MAGIC "Correct" pronunciation of the divine name. I speak English, and American English at that. His name is Jesus. Jesus never ever said that we should use the word Yahweh, or Jehovah, or Yihyeh, or even Yashua.

Quibbling about pronunciation is a strife about words. I read Hebrew, I speak Hebrew, and I teach Hebrew.

God inspired the New Testament to be written in GREEK with absolutely no regard for some proper spelling or pronunciation of God's name. Don't mixed up in that controversy as if it were some important issue.

When I was in the Orient they had a unique pronunciation, as is also the case in French-speaking Quebec, and in South Carolina, and in Israel among both Arabs and Jews, and among Spanish speaking people.

Thank God, people of every language and tongue can praise Him.

Jim (or James, or Jimmy, or Jimbo) aka Floodnut

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 9 Jun, 2010 04:02 PM

I was taught to always capitalize God and Lord when referring to our Father. I prefer calling Him Father though since God has always seemed a little impersonal to me. I prefer to relate to Him as a child to a Father of the purest and kindest kind of love that is shown to me in His mercy and grace.

I often wonder if the name Jesus wasn't the name of our Lord for the period of time he was here on the Earth. It was never His name prior to that time or since. What's more, Jesus was not an uncommon name for the Hebrew People. In the OT it is translated Joshua. According to Rev 19:16 He has a different name now. "And He has on His garment and on His thigh a name having been written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS." (LITV)

Thunder

View Profile
History
The name of God
Posted : 11 Jun, 2010 10:16 AM

In the very last chapter of the Bible our Lord says what His name is. Let there be no hesitation or wondering. He knows His name, and it is recorded in the GREEK Language, with not the slightest hint of preference for some Hebraicized version. Jesus is not backwards or confused about His name. Praise the name of Jesus (Rev. 22:16).

Page : 1 2