Author Thread: Single Parent Things
riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 02:53 PM

My youngest daughter is 18 and I just bought her a car that she absolutely fell in love with. It's a green VW beetle in excellent shape! The downside is, it's manual transmission...well, she's got her learners permit and has been practicing on my car (automatic) and goes on the 14th to take the driving test.

I've been driving her car to get little things done to it and she looks so sad because she's not driving :(

So, today I took her for a driving lession for her car. We got through it and she learned alot and even did very well BUT my point is...isnt that her dad's job?

Us single people end up doing both jobs for our kids. Father and Mother...I raised both without their father...it's a long story.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not categorizing the duties of parents...I just think thats the dad's responsibility...my dad taught me to drive :)

what are things that you do with your child that may be the position of the other parent that isnt around?

blessings

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 11 Mar, 2011 06:39 PM

My dad taught me how to drive a stick...in a cemetery lol, and all I heard was yelling, so when my dad wasn't around my brother and I would drive my car around the block, slowly lol. I needed my brother for his patience and ability to drive my car if I couldn't. Parents should control their tempers and learn patience or they miss out on the important things.

dahnya

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 19 Mar, 2011 11:14 AM

This was such an interesting conversation!

Personally, my son's dad has nothing to do with him. He hasn't seen his dad in over a year and his dad only lives 20 miles away. So I do everything for him - and my son was born 3 months premature with some very serious issues - he was born 98% deaf (surgically corrected), had in turned feet (had to wear special shoes until last year to correct), is extreme ADHD to the point he was thought to be autistic, and has OCD. He is in all main stream classes and AB honor roll, I attent college, drive a school bus and work as a teacher's assistant, and all the things my son needs. I gave up college the first time around to provide him with what he needed - example being the surgery so he could hear. I feel like his dad should have helped but he refused. He even went so far as be fired from 8 jobs in one year just so he woulnd't have to help. In the end, so I could finish my degree and for his medical needs, my parents adopted my son. I am so very blessed by them for this and I am even more thankful that my son knows I am his mother and understands why we chose to do what we did. It was a tough choice - but God doesn't promise easy choices! He promised He was and always is there for us when we call on Him and trust in Him. Sometimes we have to make those tough choices and pray they are the right ones to make. Sometimes we just have to know that all will work out in God''s name. Regardless, we ALWAYS need to remember that God is in control!

It is not always what we want or what we think we need that we get, but God provides what we REALLY need and no matter if we are our children's only "on site" parent, so long as we love them and teach them as God would have them learn then we can only do and give our best, make the best decisions we can for the time, and pray constantly that those decisions we have made are what God would have us do.... no matter who or where we are!

Sorry, I know that was long...lol

Page : 1 2