Author Thread: Single Parent Things
riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 02:53 PM

My youngest daughter is 18 and I just bought her a car that she absolutely fell in love with. It's a green VW beetle in excellent shape! The downside is, it's manual transmission...well, she's got her learners permit and has been practicing on my car (automatic) and goes on the 14th to take the driving test.

I've been driving her car to get little things done to it and she looks so sad because she's not driving :(

So, today I took her for a driving lession for her car. We got through it and she learned alot and even did very well BUT my point is...isnt that her dad's job?

Us single people end up doing both jobs for our kids. Father and Mother...I raised both without their father...it's a long story.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not categorizing the duties of parents...I just think thats the dad's responsibility...my dad taught me to drive :)

what are things that you do with your child that may be the position of the other parent that isnt around?

blessings

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 06:26 PM

My ex doesn't help wtih anything with the kids!! I know it's hard doing it all but I know God is always with me helping me!

Elisa

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 08:48 PM

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your posting. It gave me a nostalgic smile. My father tried teaching me to drive. That ended the day he yelled at me to stop. I did. However, that happened to be in the middle of an extremely busy intersection. God must have been working overtime to keep everybody safe that day. I was so shaken up I just sat there and cried. Somehow, I finally got the truck in gear and pulled over. Needless to say, the driving lesson was over for the day. Mom took over driving lessons from that point forward.

Thank you again for the walk down memory lane.

Tulip89

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 09:23 PM

Elisa, reading you nostalgic post reminded me of learning to drive a stick. Neither parent could teach me in a way that I could learn well, so needless to say, it led to lots of frustration for all of us. One day my mom decided that trial by fire was the best way for me to finally get it, so she told me we were going to Walmart, and I was driving. I stalled out at one intersection probably ten times, and the people behind me kept honking and getting angry. I finally got going, only to find that I was in third gear! Hahaha

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 4 Dec, 2010 09:45 PM

I've found my legs and arms are getting honed and buff using the invisible brakes and steering apparatus and the past few months while coaching my 16 yr old daughter for her driving test coming soon Californians... beware! lol Seems like you are taking care of business inspite of circumstances Ms. River and I'm sure your daughter appreciates it and will have fond memories of how she made Mom a nervous wreck. :)

I do agree with you on the point regarding certain jobs and responsibilities should go to one or the other parent... driving probably falls into the Dad category as I see it too, plus I lost the best of three at rocks scissors paper! it's really a shame that there are some guys who don't or won't take the time with their kids, they grow up so quickly and the only memories they have is that Dad wasn't around when I learned this or did that... Since being divorced I had to be away looking for work for months at a time and I can tell you it hurts the kids, they resent it even if it the reason i was gone was legit.

riveroflife1

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 5 Dec, 2010 04:21 PM

well, the driving lesson went pretty smooth. Oh I didnt say that I took her to a church parking lot and got out of the car!

I showed her how to do the feet but told her, the best way to learn is just get in and DO it.

she jerked and jerked and skreeched a bunch of times but she didnt get discouraged, she felt challanged. So, coach Mom keep trying to give advice and she finally took off in first gear and drove around the parking lot a couple times.

then she said "when do I go to second gear"

I started then I thought, wow Lord, she's ready to take on the world, haha. I asked her if she wanted to drive home but she didnt. (whew)

My dad taught me to drive and would have taught her too but i lost him in August.

I will take her again next weekend :)

Mercymay

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 7 Dec, 2010 05:33 AM

I also teach my eldest girl to drive, she is 20. She feel good when I let her drive. But I am not ready yet to think of her driving on her own. The driving situation here is crazy, jeepneys stopping anywhere anytime. People crossing some are not looking left and right though usually pedestrians have to give way for vehicles to pass. I was told it is the other way over there, vehicles giving way to pedestrians. I wander off topic now haha�

Well, as single parent for 18 years, my youngest is 18 years old, I did both roles, mother & father. My own father did helped in discipline and teaching them the way they should go and in practicing vegetarian diet. I mention the diet because I heard that those who eat vegetables are kind, those who eat meat are hmmm. Observe the elephants, compare to lions. It may sound funny but maybe there is some truth in it

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 13 Dec, 2010 07:05 AM

Woo,you are a great mother with such a lovely daughter.God bless.

Mandy from Shenzhen,China

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 11:14 AM

I would be co-pilot for my bro and sis when they were learning to drive because more often than not BOTH our parents drove us insane. I was the genious that came up with the idea that finding the busiest roads and intersections to learn stick on was a BAD idea. Wow...

bcpianogal

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 19 Dec, 2010 11:54 AM

My dad died when I was 12, so my mom had to teach me to drive. Thank goodness we didn't have a stick shift! I did just fine with the automatic. Once I was comfortable with that, we borrowed an old stick shift truck (an '84 Chevy S-10, I think) from some relatives. I'd read about how to drive a stick shift, and did ok with it. Of course, we were only on deserted country roads, and I haven't had the opportunity to practice anymore since then.

Teaching my sisters to drive, though, has been much more, er, traumatic. My middle sister (2 years younger than me) was never able to learn how to drive from my mom. I tried to teach her, but she always scared me to death until I ordered her to pull over and LET ME DRIVE! My aunt had to finally teach her. I still don't know how she managed it. My youngest sister (8 years younger than me) STILL can't drive, and she's 19. She has a learners permit, and complains that we won't let her drive so how is she supposed to learn? But every time she gets behind the wheel, my mom ends up fussing at her because she did something really stupid, my sister ends up in tears, and everyone else in the car is just glad to be alive. I've tried to teach her, and I think I'm able to get through to her a little more than my mom can...but it's still scary. Especially when she's driving MY car.

View Profile
History
Single Parent Things
Posted : 3 Mar, 2011 04:42 PM

I never learned how to drive a stick shift either! river, your children have been blessed with a fantastic mama!

Page : 1 2