Author Thread: Santa
Admin

Santa
Posted : 26 Dec, 2011 04:14 AM

So, parents, do you do the whole "Santa" thing? Do your kids believe in him? Do you?

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 27 Dec, 2011 11:05 AM

Hi

I tried the Santa thing once and realised my child will associate Christmas with Santa instead of Jesus so i decided ...no more Santa.

I dont even make a big deal about Christmas presents.

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 29 Dec, 2011 09:37 AM

I stayed with my ex g/f and the kids on Christmas eve. She wanted me to continue the whole Santa fantasy whereas I'd far rather tell them the truth and that they get presents because we love them. I'd rather not be telling them things I know aren't true because if I make them believe in an imaginary character they'll soon discover doesn't exist, how could they take seriously believing in an invisible God?

My parents and siblings don't see any problem with Santa, so I was trying to gauge other believer's opinion and if I'm overreacting.

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 3 Mar, 2012 02:35 AM

Is lying to children a sin? For that matter, is lying to anyone a sin? YES. There is no real man who makes toys at the North Pole, rides in a sleigh in the sky pulled by flying reindeer, that comes down your chimney to place all the toys under the tree.

So, to tell children there is a real Santa is lying through your teeth. How is that a good way to raise children?

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 3 Mar, 2012 07:22 AM

Wait! What? There is no Santa? Say it ain't so! :winksmile:

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 23 Mar, 2012 10:58 AM

I don't do the Santa thing because I would be lying and disrespecting Jesus/God. And If we want our children to grow up godly we must set the example and follow the 10 Commandments. "Thou shalt not lie" Also if you rearrange the letters in SANTA you get SATAN.

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 18 Apr, 2012 04:21 AM

No

aaronchernault

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 26 Apr, 2012 07:38 PM

cmon really?? santa is satan? maybe you all should look at the idea behind santa. the concept of giving!! i believe in "santa" for what it stands for, giving without putting your name on the fact that you gave something. when my daught was two and i was just getting back on my feet an unknown stranger in walmart baught her a very expensive power wheel and had a cashier give it to us with only FROM SANTA written on it. so yes the is santa and know he not satan. as far as i know satan has never helped or given anything to anyone

writerguy

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 7 May, 2012 09:29 PM

Santa is based on the Christian Bishop Saint Nicholas of Myra. He is a Christian hero of the faith. He was a pivotal force in the Nicene Creed's formulation of the Trinity and the divinity of Christ.

I suggest focusing on the positive instead of negative, which I believe Christ would do. It would be a good learning experience to give the truth of the real St. Nick to children in a way they can understand it. Such as standing up for the truth, or giving to the poor.

When it comes to the question of lying, a young child's imagination is a precious thing. To foster a healthy imagination is a duty of a parent. To look at the fostering a belief in Santa as lying distorts the meaning of the myth. It is to inspire wonder, not manipulate. Children these days already have to face a harsh reality all too soon. I say let them enjoy the myth.

RedMaiden

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 9 Jun, 2012 12:37 PM

I think as long as you make it clear that Santa is pretend, and perhaps telling them the real story of the Saint behind the tale, there's nothing wrong with telling your kids about Santa. Children like to play pretend, cowboys and indians, plastic swords, princess crowns, etc...

PrincessofRedeemer

View Profile
History
Santa
Posted : 7 Jul, 2012 06:26 PM

I pretty close in mindset on Santa as the girl with red hair:) My ex and I taught our kids that Santa is a fun story, and even let the kids visit him now and then but they knew he was dress up. So we taught Jesus is the miracle, the reason for the season, the gifts, which come from family out of the love and joy of the birth of Christ. Santa is there as a decoration and as a part of history. I agree Santa was from a Godly Christian Man named St. Nicholas not Kris Kringle...LOL and I dont think he would be happy at how American culture has twisted it around to take the place of Jesus, He was serving Jesus by what he did.

I will add, people get very protective the Santa ACt and you will feel the need to explain to your child why other kids parents teach them he is real and alive and giving presents today. My son got into a fight at school with another kindergardener...the little man was gonna defend Santa...glad my son was defending Jesus for Christmas...He is worth fighting for:)

Page : 1 2