Author Thread: Fitness
Admin

Fitness
Posted : 3 Oct, 2013 10:36 AM

Is there anyone else out there interested in fitness? I have really gotten into running, and would love it if anyone has any running tips. Also, maybe healthy recipes and things like that.

Samheis

View Profile
History
Fitness
Posted : 3 Oct, 2013 12:23 PM

Yes! Fitness is incredibly important to a healthy life, and something I love to keep up on! I think everyone should have at least some sort of daily routine, whether it be running or walking, or more advanced things :applause: I don't know if I can give any running tips, since most of the workouts I do are high intensity interval workouts, but I know for a fact that having the right shoe is very important. I used to run when I was playing sports, and I started off with a very flat shoe that did not fit my foot like it ought have, and resulted with tons of blisters and sore feet x(

I would love to hear recipes as well! Food remains a dangerous and constant whisper in every kitchen, I think. One way I help stave off overeating is keeping a jar of peanuts (or something similar) near me at my work desk, and rather than eat big meals every three or four hours, I eat smaller ones every few hours with peanut snacks interspersed to help with hunger. It seems to work a lot better for me than eating five or six small meals, because I have a habit of losing time and not remembering to eat :rolleyes:

View Profile
History
Fitness
Posted : 5 Dec, 2013 02:38 PM

As you know, sled dog mushing has been my greatest inspiration! How amazing is it to see. I do mostly running though I hate running, I do it because it works. When I get out to run I try to run and when I think I can't or do not feel like it, I think of my dogs. How hard do my dogs run when it is their time to run and train. That motivates me to push the extra effort, reach down and finish strong.

It has certainly paid off. My times in the past 3 years have been phenomenal in improvements.

I think, just like how my dogs eat and in that I feed them the highest quality food that a lot of the best dog mushers feed their dogs, food is important. As they say, you put in what you put out. Though I am no pro athlete, I try to steer that way. So, I know that whatever I put in I can get out and I notice that. If I eat bad one day, the next day my running times are slower I don't feel the "get go".

As for diet, my first time I did a diet was at a study here where I work. I was on a low protein diet. I ate 3 meals a day as they scheduled. I was on that schedule and watched the weight drop. The second half was spread out, eating every 2-3 hours smaller quantities. I plateau, but then the second half eating every 2-3 hours I dropped weight again.

I took that experience when I started to loose weight. I ran and ate healthier foods every 2-3 hours. I steered away more from burgers and ate more chicken or turkey and eggs. But I incorporated mostly fruits and vegetables. I eat simple, maybe soup, peanut butter, bananas, grapes, etc. I don't cook big meals really. Though I can, I do enjoy grilling and can make killer ribs. Quite frankly I think I enjoy my ribs more than my mom's, but don't tell her that. She is absolutely a great cook, I sure miss my Mom's cooking. Bad thing when I missed since not living with my parents for quite sometime.

But, I think that has worked well in me loosing 90-100 pounds, I don't keep track. But proof is in the pictures for sure! I never imagined dog mushing, or loosing weight! But, what a change. However, not as great of a change as Christ is in my heart. How amazing is the Lord, I find that it is important to take care of the temple He gave us!

TCmullet

View Profile
History
Fitness
Posted : 17 May, 2014 06:35 PM

Before I got saved, I was a scifi bookworm. After being saved, I was a computer nerd and a THEOLOGY bookworm. All along, I eschewed exercise my whole life, being no good at any sport. At 37, health problems were cropping up which were alleged due to sedentary lifestyle. They said I have to exercise. Tried walking, running, but enough of it to work was too boring and discouraging. I hunted and found a sport I could do and enjoy, volleyball. I was so enthralled with it, both as to the fun and to the benefits I did get through it. (But I had a lot of painful unlearning to do as I got started.) Probably less than 10 years after I started (in which I eventually got into beach volleyball, too), I felt like I must write a paper telling "How God changed my life through volleyball". Been too busy with life to write that, but I do want to one day.

But when it comes to weight workouts, that's been tough. Have done so for a few spells. Although my vb game improved each time, i could not keep it going more than a few months. One spell was in a gym. I was glad when the gym folded. Then years later, a friend trained me on some cheap weights and bench I got at home. But still could not keep it up. Last year after years of no weights, I was given a bench and some weights. Just last month, I moved to where I can finally set it up. I am pushing myself to do M, W, F, just 4 exercises from my prog. of earlier years. I think I can stick with this.

As for VB, for years I played 3 times a week (11 hrs total), but lately my circumstances allow only 0 or 1. But I will get back to more frequently eventually.

Marcouse

View Profile
History
Fitness
Posted : 19 Jul, 2016 02:29 PM

I was a runt when growing up, after a motorcycle accident at 17 which left me unable to walk properly I began training at 18 in a bid to help heal my injured knee.

Within 6 months I could run again and I gained over a stone in weight as well as strength.

After that I have always been active in some way or other unless I've been injured.

Currently I run, cycle (mainly off road) and lift weights still. At nearly 40 years old I'm as strong and fit as I've ever been, if anything better.

Training is a habit in the same way as eating for me, if I don't do it I feel something is missing in life. I mean there isn't a great deal on TV, there is only so much internet you can look at and understanding the bible requires a lot of thought. What better time to think than between sets?