Author Thread: What should I do.....??
stormcountry33

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 12 Jan, 2010 07:39 AM

Not sure if this is technically the proper place to ask this question, but I'm here now and I'm sure that it won't matter to anyone if I'm not in the right place....

I have recently left the church I grew up in to kind of "test the waters" that are around me. In other words I've been attending another church of a friend. There has been a lot of disagreements between myself, pastor, and leaders of the church that I grew up in that are based in theology. If you read my article in Biblical Questions that is titled "Adam and Eve alone?", you'll see one example of what I'm talking about. Anyway, to get to the issue at hand...the new church that I'm attending does not offer a bible study class. My old church does and starting tomorrow they are going to be starting a study on a topic that interest me a lot...the end times/ the rapture. So my question is, do I attend the bible study or for fear of possible tension arising do I step aside??

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 12 Jan, 2010 07:25 PM

If you are questioning the leadership and their teachings then dont go. Maybe this is God's way of moving you on to bigger and better things. Try several other churches, you'll know when the Lord wants you stay.

Jennifer

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 13 Jan, 2010 01:50 AM

I agree that you need to be in a church that is scripturally based. We may never totally agree with the teachings but they need to be based on scripture and not opinions of the individuals teaching them. There are a lot of things that we as Christians are not going to agree on...BUT....if the topic is not a matter of our SALVATION... then it is not all that important in my book. Answers to all questions will come when I get to heaven.

So the answer would be....can you put aside the differences in order to study God's Word. After all we are commanded to love everyone....the Bible didn't say we had to agree.

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 13 Jan, 2010 08:50 AM

I have decided not to go. The big reason I was even pondering of going in the first place was to try and "protect" those that I knew would be there, who questioned the teachings as I have, yet aren't strong enough to battle against the teachings. Anyway, I have informed them that if the wish to discuss things with me afterwards, I'd be there to help them. Thanks for you input. Later!~

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 15 Jan, 2010 01:12 PM

i realize this post has been resolved but i would like to add my two cents. Proverbs 27:17 "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." i consider that scripture whenever i feel like avoiding someone. i was raised in a pentecostal church but it was not until i left home to go to school that i found my faith, i did not find it in church because i wasn't going, nor did i find it in the world. i found it in the struggles i faced. now i attend a adventist group service on a friday night it's like church in a way, we discuss God and the bible, we sing and have fun. my only reason for being there is God.

i guess what i'm trying to say is, when you are searching for truth the venue is only a building but your attitude going in it would dictate what you leave with.

Nyanda

skinnywhiteboy

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 18 Jan, 2010 12:57 PM

Nyanda, I agree with you completely. I understand this issue's been resolve for the man here, but I faced the problem of trying to find a new church as well. My father is a pastor, not practicing, so I asked him what to do. His advice was simple. Make sure it's based in scripture and ENJOY YOUR SEARCH!!!! It's amazing the ways God comes across!!! Try a black church cause man those chiors!!!! (I hope they're the ones singing in Heaven, cause they know how to rock!) Or maybe even a church you don't understand the language. No one will kick you out of a Spanish or Korean speaking church. And even though it's not your mothertongue, God will always get through to you. I'm glad your search is over, congrats!!!

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 19 Jan, 2010 10:27 AM

Brother. Are you born again? Does the Holy Spirit abide in your heart? If He does speak (pray) to Him and seek His direction. You have to always remember we are not to walk in our own understanding or self-will. We are bond servants of the Lord ,we are His slaves-- it is only His will we seek and obey. You need to enter into prayer and maintain an attitude of prayer until this difficult issue has been resolved in a manner that is pleasing to the Lord.

skinnywhiteboy

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 19 Jan, 2010 05:09 PM

dear visions, where was that last post directed?

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 20 Jan, 2010 07:13 AM

Skinny: To stormcounty33

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 20 Jan, 2010 09:03 AM

Visions,

Yes I am a born again Christian. The issue was resolved and I believe that God is pleased with the outcome. Thank you for your concern. I have been attending a new church that I feel very strongly is going about doing God's will. Again thank you for your concern.

skinnywhiteboy

View Profile
History
What should I do.....??
Posted : 20 Jan, 2010 01:34 PM

Storm country, I'm glad your issue was resolved!!!!! It is one of the worst feelings to have problems arise from the church. My heart really goes out to you. I think you did the right thing. I'm just me. I also think that your heart was in the right place, when you put something like that up for public discussion. I think any issues of you being saved become moot for the simple fact that, if you were not saved, you would not be having this type of problem. Enjoy your worship!!!!

Page : 1 2