Author Thread: biggest distraction in church
skinnywhiteboy

View Profile
History
biggest distraction in church
Posted : 21 Feb, 2010 08:44 AM

My church has recently started growing through reproduction.:glow:

The problem is: despite a large Childrens church ministry, and the availability of both babysitting and a crying room, it's very hard to concentrate on the pastor. I'm happy to see kids in church, but also feel I should be able to attend and not have crayons being thrown at me, or children running up and down the aisles, and crawling up on me when I'm trying to take notes. The adults seem oblivious to the distraction they're creating, as often they're busy occupying their kids. Any ideas?

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Feb, 2010 09:30 AM

I attend a very small church but we had that same issue. So they started a Childrens Church called Noah's Park. All the kids go in another room when the sermon starts. But, for me, there was another issue of a few women that would talk during the sermon. These women are my friends but I had to move away from them. Being a small church, everyone sortof sits in the same area each week, so moving across the isle made it better for me. Is that something that could help you?

With love,

T

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Feb, 2010 03:13 PM

T,

I used to go to a small church and when you changed the seating chart, haha, people just about went into a state of shock!!!

Anyway, SWB:

It sounds like you might need to go to the Pastor and address this issue. It also sounds like while they have a place for young children, some of the parents don't feel it necessary for their children to be placed there during the service. Maybe try to address it from an issue/viewpoint of just like you mentioned here, you're happy to see child in church, but that they really should attend "their services". I feel for you bro!! Children are no doubt a blessing, but at the same time, they or anybody else for that matter, shouldn't be disrupting the worship service. Best of Luck in whatever or however you handle the situation. Later!~

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Feb, 2010 07:26 PM

Doesn't sound like a child problem...sounds like a parent problem...slackers:laugh:...

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Feb, 2010 03:20 PM

**** BINGO **** Hitman has just won a Cupie doll for His Sweet Heart...:bouncy:

SWB ~ I agree that if it is a ongoing concern that you can bring it up to the Pastor an his Wife if he is married. Nothin ventured nothin gained...

The Church I attend has facilties for Children, Youth and Adults for this very reason...Some smaller Churches are all inclusive...jus the way they roll...

Best of everthin to ya with this...luv ya...xo

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Feb, 2010 05:55 PM

You're right on SWB. I was visiting a friends church one Sunday morning and they had a guest speaker. Kids were all over the place as usual and very distracting. The guest speaker, who was a persecuted and tortured Christian from Pakistan, stopped his talk and rebuked the parents and the leaders for allowing this misbehavior and quenching the workof the Holy Spirit! OOOOOH, it got real quiet then!

I also don't like listening to the announcements right after praise and worship. It sounds like that bad record scratch, know what I mean? Actually I don't like announcements at all. Read the bulletin when you get home. Please.

Thunder

skinnywhiteboy

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Feb, 2010 03:40 PM

I really appreciate all the responses! A few suggested moving seats, and I'm happy to do that, in fact the day I wrote this post, I purposely arrived late just so I could let everyone else sit down, and "scope out" the best spot. But yes, it's a small church, and people's heads turned when I switched seats. Also, this is leading me not to sit with my family:(. I've given a lot of thought to leaving my church, we've had some problems, but we're out of the rough waters, got a new course, and a new pastor. Could this be God's way of saying, you stayed through the rough times, now go explore? If this keeps up, I'd rather not talk to the pastor, as I'm not a member of the church, and he used to be a S.W.A.T. sniper. lol, he's not crazy, but, is this a sign that I need to go elsewhere?

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Feb, 2010 07:43 AM

I wouldn't worry about the pastor unless he keeps a rifle in his office! :ROFL:

I don't think it matters whether you are a member or not when it comes to approaching leaders in the church. I think it is worth mentioning if everything else about the church meets your needs. Besides, "there's a new sheriff in town" and this might be a good time to affect change.

I believe that if a person has a vision, or is aware of a need around them, then it is up to them to do something about it. You're already thinking about going else where. I'd tell the pastor that this situation makes considering membership difficult for you and if it isn't brought under control you are leaving and explain why this is important to you. If you know of others that share your feelings take some of them with you. If no changes are made then maybe you should move on. But that is something that will require prayer and serious consideration. Don't leave on a bad note and be sure you have a place where you will not only be fed what you need but can also serve.

Thunder

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Feb, 2010 02:04 PM

SWB,

(don't you like how your name on here turned into 3 letters,haha!!) Anyway....I just recently left the small church that I grew up in and a BIG part of it was the rough waters kept getting rougher...I think you should stay and maybe try getting involved first. If that doesn't work, then you should go someone where they, that is, the church organization, will let you get involved. My old church seemed to always be stopped by lack of faith. the new church I found seems to be built on faith. Good Luck either way...I'll give a shout out to God for you!!! He'll know what to do!!

skinnywhiteboy

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Feb, 2010 09:07 AM

Thanks, y'all, I got my answer this morning in church!! I'd not approached the pastor or anyone re this whole thing yet, and today, as he looked around the church he said that we need to start "focusing on the children." And doing more things to include them. Good for him, children ARE the future after all. However, I can't help but feel alienated, as I don't have kids. And, well, going to a church that's going to focus on the kids I don't have, I feel that was my que to scoot. Thanks for all the advice, and storm, for the prayers, He answered loud and clear!

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Feb, 2010 11:38 AM

I knew He would!!! Good Luck in your searches!!

Page : 1 2