Author Thread: "Blessed are the Poor in Spirit"............(A.W.Pink)
Admin

"Blessed are the Poor in Spirit"............(A.W.Pink)
Posted : 12 Dec, 2011 06:28 AM

‎"Blessed are the poor in spirit."

There is a vast difference between this and being hard up in our circumstances. There is no virtue (and often no disgrace) in financial poverty as such, nor does it, of itself, produce humility of heart, for anyone who has any real acquaintance with both classes soon discovers there is just as much pride in the indigent as there is in the opulent. This poverty of spirit is a fruit that grows on no merely natural tree. It is a spiritual grace wrought by the Holy Spirit in those whom He renews. By nature we are well pleased with ourselves, and mad enough to think that we deserve something good at the hands of God. Let men but conduct themselves decently in a civil way, keeping themselves from grosser sins, and they are rich in spirit, pride filling their hearts, and they are self-righteous. And nothing short of a miracle of grace can change the course of this stream.

Nor is real poverty of spirit to be found among the great majority of the religionists of the day: very much the reverse. How often we see advertised a conference for "promoting the higher life," but who ever heard of one for furthering the lowly life? Many books are telling us how to be "filled with the Spirit," but where can we find one setting forth what it means to be spiritually emptied�emptied of self-confidence, self-importance, and self-righteousness? Alas, if it be true that, "That which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God" (Luke 16:15), it is equally true that what is of great price in His sight is despised by men�by none more so than by modern Pharisees, who now hold nearly all the positions of prominence in Christendom. Almost all of the so-called "ministry" of this generation feeds pride, instead of starving the flesh; puffs up, rather than abases; and anything which is calculated to search and strip is frowned upon by the pulpit and is unpopular with the pew.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit." And what is poverty of spirit? It is the opposite of that haughty, self-

assertive and self-sufficient disposition which the world so much admires and praises. It is the very

reverse of that independent and defiant attitude which refuses to bow to God, which determines to brave things out, which says with Pharaoh, "Who is the Lord that I should obey His voice?" To be "poor in spirit" is to realize that I have nothing, am nothing, and can do nothing, and have need of all things. Poverty of spirit is a consciousness of my emptiness, the result of the Spirit�s work within. It issues from the painful discovery that all my righteousnesses are as filthy rags. It follows the awakening that my best performances are unacceptable, yea, an abomination to the thrice Holy One. Poverty of spirit evidences itself by its bringing the individual into the dust before God, acknowledging his utter helplessness and deservingness of hell. It corresponds to the initial awakening of the prodigal in the far country, when he "began to be in want."

God�s great salvation is free, "without money and without price." This is a most merciful provision of

Divine grace, for were God to offer salvation for sale no sinner could secure it, seeing that he has nothing with which he could possibly purchase it. But the vast majority are insensible of this, yea, all of us are until the Holy Spirit opens our sin-blinded eyes. It is only those who have passed from death unto life who become conscious of their poverty, take the place of beggars, are glad to receive Divine charity, and begin to seek the true riches. Thus "the poor have the Gospel preached to them" (Matthew 11:5): preached not only to their ears, but to their hearts!

Poverty of spirit may be termed the negative side of faith. It is that realization of my utter worthlessness which precedes the laying hold of Christ, the eating of His flesh and drinking His blood. It is the Spirit emptying the heart of self that Christ may fill it: it is a sense of need and destitution. This first Beatitude, then, is foundational, describing a fundamental trait which is found in

http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Sermon/sermon_01.htm (2 of 5) [28/07/2004 12:02:46 a.m.]

1. The Beatitudes: Matthew 5:3-11

every regenerated soul. The one who is poor in spirit is nothing in his own eyes, and feels that his proper place is in the dust before God. He may, through false teaching or worldliness, leave this

place, but God knows how to bring him back; and in His faithfulness and love He will do so, for it is

the place of blessing for His children. How to cultivate this God-honoring spirit is revealed in Matthew 11:29.

He who is in possession of this poverty of spirit is pronounced "blessed." He is so because he now

has a disposition the very opposite of what was his by nature, because he has in himself the first sure

evidence that a Divine work of grace has been wrought in his heart, because he is an heir of the "kingdom of heaven"�the kingdom of grace here, the kingdom of glory hereafter. Many are the gracious promises addressed to the poor in spirit. "I am poor and needy: yet the Lord thinketh upon me: Thou art my help and my deliverer" (Ps. 40:17), "The Lord heareth the poor" (Ps. 69:33), "He shall spare the poor and needy, and shall save the souls of the needy" (Ps. 72:13), "Yet setteth He the poor on high from affliction" (Ps. 107:41), "I will satisfy her poor with bread" (Ps. 132:15), "To this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My word" (Isa. 66:2). Let such favors as these stir us up to pray earnestly for more of this poverty of spirit.

.~A.W. Pink

THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT - Chapter One

www.pbministries.org

dljrn04

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Dec, 2011 12:09 PM

Excellent article James. Thank you for sharing.

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Dec, 2011 05:03 PM

To being poor in spirit is to have been show by the Holy Spirit ones TRUE condition before YHWH.

A person which has been shown their True condition before YHWH needs to understand that this is to being in a good position, to being under YHWH,who is a magnificent benefactor.

The following verse of Scripture is to be understood in light of the character of YHWH,who is able to provide our every need in Yeshua.

Matthew 6:33

(KJV) But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

(KJV+) ButG1161 seekG2212 ye firstG4412 theG3588 kingdomG932 of God,G2316 andG2532 hisG846 righteousness;G1343 andG2532 allG3956 these thingsG5023 shall be addedG4369 unto you.G5213

(LITV) But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

(YLT) but seek ye first the reign of God and His righteousness, and all these shall be added to you.

This Scripture should be reading.

but seek ye first the Kingship of YHWH and His righteousness, and all these shall be added to you.

Notice,we are to also be seeking the 'RITGHEOUSNESS' of YHWH also.

Too many people are into seeking what they are able to be getting from YHWH,instead of seeking Him for who He is,and what He is like.

Sahlom and Chesed

The Gardner