Author Thread: Jacob and the modern banking system!!
Admin

Jacob and the modern banking system!!
Posted : 29 Oct, 2010 11:02 AM

I believe some might find this funny,yet others might not.

Could Jacob within Scripture,be the initiator of the modern banking system.

Gen 25:27 And the boys grew: and Esau was a cunning hunter, a man of the field; and Jacob was a plain man, dwelling in tents.

Gen 25:28 And Isaac loved Esau, because he did eat of his venison: but Rebekah loved Jacob.

Gen 25:29 And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint:

Gen 25:30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.

Gen 25:31 And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright.

Gen 25:32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?

Gen 25:33 And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.

Gen 25:34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.

The LORD/Scriptures tells us that Esau despised his birthright,yet look at the uncaring,unGodly heartless attitude Jacob has towards his half brother.

And Jacob said, Swear to me this day;

Is this not the same attitude as the bankers of today..

Agape' and Charis:

St. George

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Oct, 2010 01:32 PM

George you have a strange sense of humor! I like it! :laugh:

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Oct, 2010 04:04 PM

On the other hand, Esau didn't go into this agreement blind. He may have been desperate and Jacob may have taken advantage of the situation but Esau had no trouble signing on the dotted line. I work for one of the largest banks in the world and every customer I talk to has made an agreement to become indebted to the bank. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I say the fault is with Esau. Jacob is just a brilliant opportunist. As is always the case with debtors that they regret the action they took and blame the creditor but had it not been for the greed or perceived need of the debtor there would be no creditor.

The people who blame the banks are usually the ones that owe the banks, The people who love the banks are the ones making money at the banks whether they are the bankers or customers. There are no verses in the Bible that say it is wrong to be a lender but there are a few that indicate being a borrower is not the way to go. How would Father see this?

And George, I do appreciate the humor in this too.

Thunder

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Oct, 2010 04:21 PM

@Thunder

Ahh but the bible does address interest rates! : Exod 22:5 / Lev 25:36-37 / Deut 23:19-20 / Prrov 28:8 / Ezek 18:8 -17 / Ezek 22:12

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Oct, 2010 04:35 PM

You are right twosparrows, however, I believe in most cases the Jews were not to charge interest on loans to each other, but if the loan was to the Gentiles then it was ok. Is that right?

Thunder

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Oct, 2010 05:22 PM

@ Row and Thunder:

Most people would say that i have an unusual sense of humor.

The borrower is servant to the lender.

Pro 22:7 The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender.

The government of America/The Homeland is a servant to the countries of this world to the tune of over 100 Trillion dollars...

George

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Oct, 2010 12:44 PM

@ Thunder

You are correct, but many of the listed scriptures refer to charging" excessive" interest. especially to the poor.

View Profile
History
Posted : 31 Oct, 2010 08:00 PM

As a person that deals with this issue of interest every day I must say that I agree that excessive interest is not Biblical and because it is spoken against in the Scriptures I would imagine that there are those who are endangering our economy because of their banking practices. We are seeing the evidence of it now. Judgment could come upon them and so cause economic disaster around the world. Which is fine with me because that means we are that much closer to the coming of our King!!! :applause:

Thunder