Author Thread: A Question about Timothy
Admin

A Question about Timothy
Posted : 29 Oct, 2010 04:42 PM

This isn't a question about the Bible but I am sure some of you may know something about this. Do any of you have any light to shed on this?

I heard that when our brother Timothy, the son of Paul, died he was found in the morning kneeling at his bedside. Apparently he lived in something of a monastery and had a room with only a bed, table and lamp in it as well as the writings he possessed. When he did not come downstairs for breakfast someone went upstairs to see if he was alright. He found Timothy kneeling at his bedside. He had apparently died while in prayer. When they moved his body out of the room they noticed very obvious impressions in the wood floor where Timothy's knees had been. He had apparently worn down the floor where he knelt to pray.

I have no idea if this is true or not. Regardless it is an inspiring story and if it is a myth it at least speaks to the character of the man, Timothy.

Thunder

View Profile
History
A Question about Timothy
Posted : 29 Oct, 2010 05:59 PM

The book; 'All the Men of the Bible' by Herbert Lockyerr says" Tradition says that Timothy died as a martyr for his faithfulness as a bishop in the reign of Domitian or Nerve. While attempting to stop a indecent heathen procession during the Festival of Diana, this God-honoring minister sealed his testimony with his blood."

I guess he was either a man of prayer or action or both.

View Profile
History
A Question about Timothy
Posted : 30 Oct, 2010 08:34 AM

@ St.Thunder:

Timothy (Greek: Τιμόθεος; Tim�theos, meaning "honouring God"[1]) was a first-century Christian bishop who died about AD 80. The New Testament indicates that Timothy traveled with Saint Paul, who was also his mentor. He is addressed as the recipient of two Pauline epistles.

Timothy is mentioned in the Bible at the time of Paul's second visit to Lystra, where Timothy is mentioned as a "disciple".[2] Paul, impressed by his "own son in the faith," arranged that he should become his companion. He had not however been circumcised , and Paul now ensured that this was done, to ensure Timothy�s acceptability to the Jews. It has been suggested[3] that Paul performed the operation himself, but this is unlikely, and nowhere attested. He was ordained[4] and went with Paul on his journeys through Phrygia, Galatia, Mysia, Troas, Philippi, Veria, and Corinth. His mother, Eunice, and his grandmother, Lois, are noted as eminent for their piety and faith,[5] which indicates that they may have also been Christians. Timothy is praised by Paul for his knowledge of the Scriptures, and is said to have been acquainted with the Scriptures since childhood.[6] Little is known about Timothy's father; only that he was Greek.[7]

Rembrandt's Timothy and his grandmother, 1648.According to later tradition, Paul consecrated Timothy as bishop of Ephesus in the year 65, where he served for 15 years. In the year 80 (though some sources place the event during the year 97, with Timothy dying at age 80), Timothy tried to halt a pagan procession of idols, ceremonies, and songs. In response to his preaching of the gospel, the angry pagans beat him, dragged him through the streets, and stoned him to death. In the 4th century, his relics were transferred to the Church of the Holy Apostles in Constantinople.

View Profile
History
A Question about Timothy
Posted : 30 Oct, 2010 08:59 AM

I have not searched for stories about Timothy and was not aware of the ones given above about him.

I do know of a story about the Apostle John which is interesting. This story is attributed to Clement of Alexandria.

When John was released from his captivity on the island of Patmos, he went to Ephesus and nearby cities in what is now Turkey. Apparently, John was then the only surviving Apostle and was much respected. In one city John saw a handsome and energetic young man and told the elder John was with to look after the young man. But later the young man went bad and became the leader of a gang of robbers.

Some time went by before John was back in the city where he had seen that handsome and energetic young man. John said to the elder he had told to look after the young man "John said, "I demand the young man! The soul of my brother!" The elder answered ""He is dead," John wanted to know how he had died. The elder told John that "He is dead to God,He turned wicked. Now he is a robber."

The young man and his gang of robbers operated from a nearby mountain. John demanded "Get me a horse, and someone to show me the way up the mountain!" Though aged, John got on the horse and went up the mountain. There the gang of robbers caught him and took him to their leader, the young man now a big warrier with weapons.

The young man who John had once given to Christ ran off from old John chasing him on horseback. John went after him on the horse and told him "You still have hope of life."

In the story John told the young man, now a mature warrier, that "I will give account to Christ for you, if that's necessary."

The warrier stopped, and looked at the old man, John the apostle, then he burst into tears. He threw himself into the apostle's arms and wept bitterly for a long time. Then he began to repent.

View Profile
History
A Question about Timothy
Posted : 31 Oct, 2010 08:06 PM

Great answers. I never heard a different story about Timothy's death. I thought it sounded more like a myth than reality. Thanks!

Thunder