Author Thread: Scam Alert
Pinkstrawbs

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 29 Nov, 2015 07:36 AM

Hi ladies,

I'm a newbie and terrified of being scammed. Have you been scammed or almost scammed. What are some warning signs?

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 29 Nov, 2015 08:23 AM

Please y'all, be very careful about what you post here. There are some scammers who read these forums. . . As CDFF warns, beware of anyone who wants to go offsite right away. DO NOT give out your personal info, such as full name, phone numbers, etc. . . Use God's gift of discernment and you should stay safe! . . .

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 30 Nov, 2015 07:27 AM

I just wanted to post something on this topic. The #1 warning sign is when you ask the other person, "let's go on skype or send a video" and they get angry or say "I don't have a camera" or "I don't know how it works." If you don't know how it works, then what are you doing on an internet dating site? It's the best way to verify someone to make sure they are a real person. If they claim they cannot be verified, then you are wrong to put any trust in that person. In fact, you shouldn't be friends with someone as long as you don't know for sure that they are real and trustworthy. And how can you find that out? By sharing a video or going live on skype. Other red flags include : bad grammar, no Facebook, no twitter account, no online presence, being too eager, too similar, too nice, etc. Those are all warning signs. But the #1 red flag is when the person refuses to go on skype for WHATEVER REASON.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 30 Nov, 2015 08:15 AM

Silver, some of us "older folks" are not as technologically savvy as you so please don't hold that against us, ok? . . ;-)

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 30 Nov, 2015 12:06 PM

Hummm...Hey now!!!...I'm one of "those people"...I don't have a camera on my computer...I don't know how Skyp works and I don't even do Facebook...I kinda shy away from technology...I'm Old Fashioned and becoming Obsolete...OH NO!!!!....Help Mr. Wizard!!!!

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 30 Nov, 2015 12:09 PM

Bad Grammer ???...I kinda take that personal cuz ima backwoods country gal so ima havta ask that you take that back jack......and the rest of ya...Yall hava a Blessed day!!!

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 30 Nov, 2015 04:01 PM

What I said is true. The best way to verify that someone is a real person is with a camera. If you don't have a camera, you should consider buying one! If you don't know how to use it, then learn it. How did you learn to use the internet? How were you able to sign up to this website? It's not that difficult. English is my second language. I had to learn English grammar the hard way--from books. If you were born in America, then you already have an advantage over me. So, all you need to do is get a camera! ;-)

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 30 Nov, 2015 06:21 PM

Brother silver�I understand what you are saying�however I don�t agree with what you said and this is why. To insist that a person �must� have or do is not the point here. Bad grammar and no camera or not being smart enough to use one is not the point. The point is we are to be Careful when engaging �unknown� people here.

I caution the Ladies here to NOT Jump right in with personal info being given out and so does CDFF. If a Gent cannot be patient enough to chat a bit on a safe site�Trust me�He �aint� the one!!!...Once communications are established in the safe zone and the feeling is mutual�move off site�I have and have not found YET�the one�I have found and made some awsum male friends and brothers in Christ though�

To sister Pinkstrawbs�Welcome to the Forums. I�ve found that most of the Male Profiled Scammers contacting me have very little in their profile. Are Catholic and have a well above average Education Level and on the 1st email they include all their contact info�email�chat�skyp�t#...I mean REALLY ???...whether I reply or not they are soon Banned. Or it�s a note about admiring my picture and profile and when I return a note asking which picture or part of my profile did you relate to�Poof!!!...they get Banned!!! A Good Rule of Thumb for the Ladies here�Pray about it and follow your gut!!!...I�ve talk to a few Gents by phone and found by asking some very important questions that they are not Christian and that ended that!

GOD is Good All the time...and All the time GOD is Good !!! :raised_hands: Amen ! AMEN !!!

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 5 Dec, 2015 08:48 PM

Welcome to the forums Pinkstrawbs�.I�ve found that most of the Male Profiled Scammers contacting me have very little in their profile. Are Catholic and have a well above average Education Level and on the 1st email they include all their contact info�email�chat�skyp�t#...A Good Rule of Thumb for the Ladies here�Pray about it and follow your gut!!!...I�ve talk to few Gents by phone and found by asking some very important questions that they are not Christian and that ended that! Papa GOD's blessings to you

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 6 Dec, 2015 06:30 AM

I don't have a facebook or twitter account and I don't want one either. I do have Skype but don't have a webcam and no interest in buying one. If that makes me look like a scammer then so be it. Also whilst I don't generally need to worry about my spelling and grammar, there are plenty of genuine people who struggle with those so that's not a real test either.

Patience and caution are the ways forward - they'll let their cover slip given enough time. Meanwhile, don't send them money (for any reason) and if you go to meet them, make sure it's a public place and that your family/friends know where you are or can be in the background (easy in a public place) in case it goes wrong.

whichwayisup

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 7 Dec, 2015 06:49 PM

Time, common sense,secondary opinions and note the following shortlist:

--Never give personal info to anyone online, and if they start asking for it before it's time then DINGDING.

--Never give money online, and if they start asking for it then DINGDING

--Create a secondary email account for this and/or other online endeavors - to avoid SPAM on your primary.

--Skype is a good idea, but not everyone uses it so it cannot be the only criteria.

--Create a secondary Skype account for this and/or other online endeavors.

--Do not meet until you can verify their identity - that will come in time.

--Do not meet until you are comfortable AND meet in a public place; separate cars, and tell someone where your going who your meeting.

--don't post accurate personal info social online entities - maybe fudge your bday by a few days. Not talking about your bank site. Social sites.

--Don't put personal info in your screen name

--Check your online photos for unintentional personal info before you post.

There are a ton of online safety sites - check them out as well.

Page : 1 2