Author Thread
Merilee

View Profile
Micheal Jackson
Posted : 5 Sep, 2009 01:20 PM

Well put Atl.

I like the spot it ya got it rule.. If im bothered by something someone else is doing (or how they look or act).. first reaction is to be judgemental and get all self righteous. but.. I can stop myself today (easier, not perfect) and ask what it is about them thats so bothersome, usually it's cuz i'm scared of what I see or its been a struggle in my life, has happened to me; needs work.. now, i've never dangled a child out a window, lol, but have sure felt like I wanted to .. or worse !

The joys of rasing teenagers : )

Meri

Merilee

View Profile
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 4 Sep, 2009 07:22 PM

terald.. you are coming across as narrow and pompous, cold and haughty.

Appreciating a variety of different types of music does not make one less Christian then yourself. Your attitude concerns me. I work with mentally challenged adults and with an inner city mission.. the type of person you are coming across as seems to be one who has no ability for compassion or empathy for others nor would fair very well serving on a bread line.

I have no aspirations to be sooo religious (didn't say spiritual, very different) that I can't love people where ever they're at. Even if they have an affinity for Bach ! but how dare they, eh?

Meri

Merilee

View Profile
Anyone have suggestions?
Posted : 31 Aug, 2009 04:59 PM

61teraldays wrote:

"and yes there are people who call themselves christian bands but you can clearly tell that their music doesn't jive with what they are preaching.... we need to use discernment..."

Yes, which is exactly what I said. We need to use discernment in what we listen to and what we watch. I love the song Green Green Grass of Home originally written by Curly Putman. I also enjoy classical, some blue grass, some blues.. are you saying that because folks may have ecclectic tastes in music that reach beyond the christian genra.. it's wrong? We will need to agree to disagree dear brother because God gave many people from different backgrounds marvelous abilities to write, direct, and play music.

I don't know anything about Bachs religeous background or Handel, or Bethoven, John Denver or Wilf Carter but I do know they were all talented fellas and amazing contributors to fine arts and performances. I truly believe Jesus himself would have been into many different genras that celebrated life, love, heart ache and compassion and uses them today to reach an unfeeling world to assist man.. to feel again. btw.. the lead singer for Megadeath is a born again Christian.

This was written fast so if it fails to make sense *shrug* sorry.. suppers getting cold : )

Meri

Merilee

View Profile
Faith-based movies
Posted : 26 Aug, 2009 11:40 PM

Swing Blade with Billy Bob Thornton. Now, it isn't Hallelujah (sp?) etc by any means, its a thinker. The story is about a mentally challenged fellow who kills his mother and another person when he was about 8 yrs old. He ends up in an institution. The story takes shape when he is released into the community without resources after 20 yrs and is befriended by a little boy whose about 8 yrs old. they become real close friends as does he with the boys mother.

In the story it walks through his faith journey, reading the bible over those 20 yrs and interpretting as best he can from what he reads. Is it gruesome in parts? yes, and bang on honest with emotion. His mother and father had him living in the shed out back of their house as a youngster and sleeping in a hole in the ground, it will absolutely make ya think about many issues .. it's also funny in parts. I wondered at the end just how challenged he was or his family created him to be.

I saw it twice in a row getting more out of it the second time.

If you want to see a fantastic movie with heart, intricate relationships and a river baptism, this is it. But.. yes it is graphic in parts.

Meri

Merilee

View Profile
Locked out of chat rooms
Posted : 26 Aug, 2009 11:21 PM

Hi there;

I'm having exactly the same problem on all three computors i've tried !! I wrote to admin, havn't received a reply.

not sure what is causing it? I can use other vehicles alright but not this one.

I'll check back to see if you found the answer

Meri

Merilee

View Profile
Christian in the Military
Posted : 26 Aug, 2009 11:15 PM

DAVWEY83

Thank you for posting so we can pray for you to acquire some good connections with other Christians where ya re. It would be lonely and frustrating, not to mention a real challenge sometimes eh? to be surrounded by the worlds values without someone to bounce things off of, i'd suggest if there's any type of christian anything around you that u go do some volunteer work there on ur off time, doing so will introduce u to others who stop by who may have similar values.. it also keeps ones head straight to volunteer for the work of Christ. Great time killer to ! I'd rather wash dishes in church then be lured to a bar or get sucked into conversation that's unholy, especially when tired : (

Sounds like ur un a faith walk right now, in that environment, model the best you can, look up always and keep posting We're here for ya.

Meri

Merilee

View Profile
Pursing Christian Women
Posted : 26 Aug, 2009 10:02 PM

Hi All;

Interesting topic. You got me thinking about my ways of getting to know folks better... i'm a phone person. I find it difficult to tell much about someone through a one dimensional medium like the net or even skype. I prefer the personalness (is that a word) of good old Alexander Graham Bell. After a few emails I'd move to the telephone before facebook or an email address. From someones voice a whole bunch can be determined, moreso then in letters or short communications (fb chat) although ones innards might come out sometimes in fun ways with humor and such on those.

I've found that letters can leave out important data like honesty, mood, sarcasm, genuine character, personality traits. It is easy manipulative in writing, a bit harder when it's voice to voice early on.

Meeting takes a lot of thought, especially if it's LD.

Thank u for bringing this up

Meri

Merilee

View Profile
Is it worth trying to date long distance
Posted : 23 Aug, 2009 11:10 PM

Hi Irish;

I appreciated your post here and also enjoyed reading your profile. You sound like a sincere kind fellow. don't loose heart.

Long distance relationships for sure have their own challenges, one being never really knowing what's going on for the other person at the end of that email or telephone. It poses a risk and a kind of sweet mysterious wonder.. the question does end up being, when there's pauses in contact.. is it over or, on hold?? Super tough to take when those feelings come about. I suppose, and only from my personal experience, that true connections do happen eh and like other relationships communication and familiarity happens over time. Keep contacting the girl you referred to on and off, see if she replies. Don't loose heart unless much time has passed but even then keep an open mind. There's soo many unknowns, maybe her connection got lost And her phone was disconnected, could happen.. maybe she's away, family emergency .. again anything's possible. Don't close doors but do pray about it, ask the Lord to close any doors he doesn't want opened.

I wrote a fellow i'm friends with for a yr or so, we have spoken often on the phone. He came up here for a few days and it was lovely to finally meet in person. We're good friends and i'll go meet his family at easter time. I have many friends online, they are a huge blessing. What i've learned is to be careful who gets my heart and always watch how someone communicates. Be straight about motivations and stick to my guns. A friend means a friend.

The gal you spoke of? it sounds like ya care for her deeply. Keep praying for signs of how to proceed.

Good Luck to you brother

Meri

Merilee

View Profile
Lacking Fire...
Posted : 23 Aug, 2009 01:10 AM

I'm sitting in the bleachers with Tristan on this one. As someone whose dated a Brit And a New Yorker, lolol.. i'll just sit back and watch the sparks flyyyy ; - )

Meri hands Tristan a spiedie on a crumpet.. enjoy !

Merilee

View Profile
Southern Gospel Bluegrass
Posted : 23 Aug, 2009 12:46 AM

Hi there;

LOL, I see you're from Arkansas and I just happen to know a pastor down around Monkey Run whose into Gospel Bluegrass and has a facebook site on it, he plays in a band down there. It's good music! I hadnt heard of it before he sent me an invite so is a new genra (sp?) for me but yep !

Meri

Page : 1 2 3