Author Thread
Parhelion

View Profile
Devolution vs Evolution
Posted : 4 Jul, 2011 06:34 AM

I actually am going to play devil's advocate here and say straight up that the assumption that random events in machines do not lead to more increasingly complex machines is absolutely wrong.

I've worked with a field of study called artificial life -- it's essentially creating computer programs that have constrained design parameters and then letting them run to see what happens. MOST of the time, my programs typically see a short blip of activity and then the agents -- or the "machines" do in fact break down and "life" ceases to exist.

Every once in a while, though, I am able to create a program that just goes..and goes... and goes. Agents will become larger, move faster (in graphical 2D or 3D environments), live longer, or reproduce more -- just ONE of these test-runs proves the case that "evolution" does in fact exist, and these can (and have) been duplicated over and over. These are not guided systems -- they were started with some basic rules and not interfered with at any point.

Now, I'm going to stop right here and say that EVOLUTION, despite how its portrayed in media, is NOT the study of the origin of life. If's the study of change in life over time. In this context, evolution is NOT exclusive to Christian belief and can exist parallel to it.

Parhelion

View Profile
Home Schooling vs. The World
Posted : 10 Jun, 2011 08:33 PM

I would LOVE to home school my future theoretical kids. ;) I went to public school, and I did not enjoy it -- in fact, I felt very robbed by the time I got out, because I went to a particularly poor district that did not get any funding. I was not only unprepared for college, but I was downright uncompetitive in the job market.

Unfortunately, this may not be realistic unless I find myself a great guy who wants to take on the traditional male role at the head of the Christian household -- the sole bacon-winner. It may not be economical to be a stay-at-home mom, and I think you really need that in order to be an effective guide and educator for home-school kids.