Author Thread
marikashome

View Profile
Can somebody please help me with my profile?
Posted : 27 Jan, 2012 10:01 PM

I agree with iheartdogs... I'd at least cut the one where it looks like two women were cut out of the picture. The "guy taking a picture in his bathroom mirror" is typical here (so is "guy in the car" though you don't have one of those) and so it doesn't catch my eye. The one that made me laugh was the one of you in your bedroom, laying on your bed. It's an untypical pose... and a kind of messy room--I was going to say you might delete it until I read your first paragraph. It's so fitting with your description of yourself that I'm still smiling about it.

Looks like you may have rewritten a few things since you posted this. The profile isn't bad.

A couple other things you might try: glance through women's profiles in your age range-no winks or anything, just glance through. When they glance back, then you might send a wink or short message thanking them for looking at your profile and saying something nice about theirs. Also you might broaden your age range. Sometimes no response could mean the person just turned 24, when your profile is set to 23.

marikashome

View Profile
Bad date or no date?
Posted : 27 Jan, 2012 09:49 PM

I can learn (and later laugh at) most of even the bad dates. But there are a few bad dates that I had second or third bad dates with... I'd undo several of those if I could. :dunce:

marikashome

View Profile
accept you as you are?
Posted : 27 Jan, 2012 07:29 PM

I agree. The thing is that no one should enter marriage with the intent to change the other person. God changes people, not us.

marikashome

View Profile
getting it in writing
Posted : 26 Jan, 2012 07:15 AM

I almost mentioned Courageous. You're right, and my thought exactly, it's not about "What if it doesn't work?" but instead it's about "What can we do to make sure it does?" and about putting that in writing where you can look back at it and either look at your naivety or growth, or say, "Wow, I need to get back on track." It's about considering the other person, about wanting to do all you can for them, and really considering what the Bible asks of each spouse. It would take some serious and very healthy discussion and respect. it would take being open about expectations and hopes.

I like the idea of putting it in a frame on the bedroom wall. I like what the one wife said in Courageous: "If you're gonna do this, do it RIGHT." I've seen people so wrapped up in their colors and their guest list that the vows themselves were more a side note. I want my commitment to be deeper than that-to each know what the other expects and more, what God expects, before saying "I do".

marikashome

View Profile
getting it in writing
Posted : 25 Jan, 2012 06:20 PM

Do you have a problem with a Christian couple stating before a marriage, in writing and legally, what accounts and possessions will be shared and what their basic expectations are of themselves and their future spouse coming into the relationship?

My grandfather and step grandmother did this to a degree. It was a wonderful idea and saved a lot of grief later among their kids and also I think prevented stress between them and especially for her after his passing because they'd already worked out the basics before any problems arose.

marikashome

View Profile
Women, The mystery...The shoes.
Posted : 20 Aug, 2011 04:35 AM

I suppose on this one you would say I'm about average. I definitely don't have a shoe obsession. Here's the problem, though. Men can wear the same shoes to work, church, and around town. Women are often expected to wear different shoes depending on the occasion and the color of their outfit. (To men, shoes are a necessity. To women, they're an accessory.) Also, most women's shoes are NOT comfortable--I sometimes want to change shoes during the day just to give my feet a break, and I wear the most comfortable shoes I can find. And women's shoes are not meant for year-round use. Sandals, sling backs, and open toes are just not meant for snow. And heels (ick) don't work if a person's going to be outside much or in any kind of weather.

I have a few pairs that I wear a LOT depending on the season, and many that will probably be donated this fall. There are sandals for summer, flip flops for the pool, and boots for the winter--a couple of pairs for work and a pair to shovel snow with. There are dress shoes for church, tennis shoes for comfort, and one pair of tennis shoes for working around the yard in the summer. Then there are the others that I just haven't gotten out of the closet and taken to charity yet. So yes, I have about 30 pairs. :)

marikashome

View Profile
See if You can...
Posted : 3 Aug, 2011 08:14 PM

Sure I can. Though I might need to move out of the country, would never be voted for again, would surely be hated by contemporaries, and be mocked for years as taking this country down... balancing the budget isn't the hard part. It''s balancing the budget while saving my political neck that is difficult.

Every tax and every cut has an affect on individuals and the nation. Politicians know that. But so does doing nothing. Just not as quickly or in a way that will so completely destroy their political careers.

marikashome

View Profile
Garden of Eden was in Missouri???...Unbelieveable!!!
Posted : 3 Aug, 2011 07:55 PM

What?!?! The Garden of Eden WAS in Missouri? No way. Missouri is still the Garden of Eden!! As Harold Bell Wright wrote in the Shepherd of the Hills: "When God looked upon th' work of his hands an' called hit good, he war sure a-lookin' at this here Ozark country. Rough? Law yes! Hit war made that a-way on purpose. Ain't nothin' to a flat country nohow. A man jes naturally wear hisself plumb out a-walkin' on a level 'thout nary downhill t' spell him. An' then look how much more there is of hit! Take forty acres o' flat now an' hit's jest a forty, but you take forty acres o' this here Ozark country an' God 'lmighty only knows how much 'twould be if hit war rolled out flat. 'Taint no wonder 't all, god rested when he made these here hills; he jes naturally had t' quit, fer he done his beatenest an' war plumb gin out." :winksmile:

j/k

marikashome

View Profile
On the Lord's Supper............
Posted : 6 May, 2011 06:03 PM

I've been part of churches that served once a week, once a month, and quarterly. I prefer more often, but 1 Cor 11:25 'whenever you drink of it' could have been yearly at passover or more frequently in fellowship. The last two churches I was part of partook together, rather than one after another. I like that.

The cup may have been one cup, though I don't think that we all need to (or even should) drink out of one cup today. However, 1 Cor 11:25, Mark 14:23, Mt 26:27, and Luke 22:20 all use cup in the singular form:

Mark 14:23 Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and they all drank from it. ...

This could also be understood to be one cup that they each poured from into their own cups, rather than drank from, though.

According to Barnes Notes on the Bible, the "warning" in 1 Cor 11:27 doesn't mean what many understand it to mean. "The term "unworthily" (ἀναξίως anaxiōs) means properly "in an unworthy or improper" manner "in a manner unsuitable to the purposes for which it was designed or instituted;" and may include the following things..."

marikashome

View Profile
Catnip
Posted : 4 Mar, 2011 05:58 PM

To my knowledge, catnip isn't addictive. I have one cat that loves it and another that doesn't even notice it. I have two very large patches of it growing in my yard. If they want it, they can get in it, but I don't give it to them.

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10