Author Thread
Zaginara

View Profile
How does it feel being a single parent?
Posted : 4 Mar, 2019 04:31 PM

It is a challenge. My daughter is going to be 6 in a month. Her father left because I chose to go through with my pregnancy (it was unplanned) and furthermore wanted to keep my baby. I then got married having met the man when she was 8 months old. He ended up being an abusive alcoholic and when he tried to pick her up drunk from the daycare, is the day I left him and filed for divorce. It is so hard because we are constantly having to put our child's best interest before our own. Going through my divorce was something I never wanted to do.

Being a single parent is the hardest job, especially when you are the only one providing any financial support. Many jobs are not understanding when you have to leave because what little help you can get from your family is not able to step in to care for your sick child. But I will say it is so rewarding.

My daughter and I have an amazing relationship. She knows I try my best and I will admit to her when I'm wrong and apologize. She already is understanding more about life than her classmates and when they tease her, she usually will say something along the lines of "Well my Mommy chose me and works hard for me".

In short, it is probably the hardest thing you will ever endure as parenting is already hard enough when there are two parents involved. However, it is the most rewarding thing and you may find you will have a better relationship with your child. I know that's how I felt when my mom was forced to be a single parent when my dad left us.