Author Thread
Hilltop

View Profile
Discussing 1 Cor 15 vs 22-23 using 2Sparrows Methodology
Posted : 10 Apr, 2011 05:22 PM

Thanx CW,

In verse 23 my bible,( NKJ), the margin directs me to I Thes 4 vs 15 - 17. The margin is good about connecting like scriptures.

Did you take these scriptures literally or do you think they are figurative? What is the metaphor if it's figurative?

Hilltop

View Profile
Discussing 1 Cor 15 vs 22-23 using 2Sparrows Methodology
Posted : 10 Apr, 2011 02:58 PM

2Sparrows posted:

' I wish people would stop trying to prove their point, instead search out the truth together.'

I would like to add that there be no name calling, keep it civil.

The scripture is I Cor 15 vs 22 & 23 :

vs 22 : For in Adam all die , even so in Christ all should be made alive

vs 23 But each one in his own order: Christ the first fruits, afterward those who are Christ's at His coming.

Is it fare to address any figurative language in the scripture?

In other words, is this a literal statement or is it figurative.

If it's figurative what type is it? Is it allegory,simile, hyperbole ect and what is the literal meaning of the figurative language?

What does die mean in vs 22?

What does made alive mean in vs 22?

What does it mean "Christ the first fruits in vs 23?"

What does "afterward those who are Christ's at His coming mean in vs 23?"

Every one is welcome to comment, please do!

Hilltop

View Profile
The Interpretation of Bible Truth is Not Democratic
Posted : 10 Apr, 2011 05:39 AM

2S writes :

I have noticed a number of people posting lately basically saying 'I can post more bible verses that support my view than you can to support your view, so I am right and you are wrong.

Since you posted this during a discussion from PJ's thread about the saints of old going to heaven, I'll take this as an admission from you that I posted way more scriptural support for the idea that a person upon death is unconscience and waiting for Jesus to raise them AT HIS COMING than there was scriptural support for the idea that a person immeidiately goes to heaven when they die. Thanx 2S.

I was surprised at James response because he said my scriptures were opposed to 2,ooo years of church tradition.

2S writes:

'I wish people would stop trying to prove their point and instead search out the truth together.'

What is this , a democracy?

II Tim 3 vs 16 : All scripture is given by insoiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine,for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness.

Hilltop

View Profile
The Interpretation of Bible Truth is Not Democratic
Posted : 9 Apr, 2011 12:58 PM

I noticed you didn't post any scriptures to back your point.

Acts 17 vs 11 : These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.

Hilltop

View Profile
How did the old testament saints
Posted : 9 Apr, 2011 12:51 PM

Yes.

Hilltop

View Profile
Posted : 9 Apr, 2011 12:46 PM

Did you know that the bible uses the word sleep for death around 50 times?

Look up the word sleep and awaken in your concordance.

Hilltop

View Profile
Posted : 9 Apr, 2011 12:42 PM

Hebrews 11 VS 4 : By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was more righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he BEING DEAD still speaks.

Being dead. He's dead. He died. His actions however still speak. That's figurative meaning it is an example for future generatins.

Hilltop

View Profile
Posted : 9 Apr, 2011 12:30 PM

Acts 2 VS 29 : Men and brethryn, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch david, that he is both dead and buried and his tomb is with us to this today.

VS 32 : This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses.

VS 33 : Therefore being exalteed to the right hand of God

VS 34 : For David did not ascend into the heavens

Did you catch that? David did not ascend into the heavens.

Hilltop

View Profile
Posted : 9 Apr, 2011 12:09 PM

In II Cor chpt 4 and 5 Paul says he would rather be with Jesus having his new spiritual body than being in his present physical body.

II Cor 5 vs 8 ;

We are confident , yes well pleased rather to be absent from the body AND to be with the Lord.

I mentioned this scripture from the gitgo because that's all anyone ever comes up with.

In Phillipians Paul said, 1 vs 24 : Nevertheless to remain in the flesh is more needful for you. Paul would rather die which is to have ones next conscious thought being in the presence of Jesus, but he had more work to do. Death is sleep. One doesn't notice time when they are sleeping. It flys by. One lays their head on a pillow and the next thought is the alarm clock is ringing. So it is with death, when you die the very next thought will be the trumpet is sounding and Jesus with the voice of an arch angel will raise us from the dead.

Hilltop

View Profile
Posted : 9 Apr, 2011 10:41 AM

I Thes 4 vs 18 : Therefore comfort one another with these wors.

Good Grief! Explain it to you?

Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10