Author Thread
MindOfChrist2008

View Profile
Joining and Serving
Posted : 14 Feb, 2009 05:41 AM

Robert,

My spirit lept at the words you posted. I rarely hear about the good coming about during this ugly time of war. I've considered all of the incentives you listed when considering the armed forces; however, that one bit about taking the life of another, especially small children is not only conflicting, but I feel that it would rob me of the element you speak of, and that is to love.

Thanks for the feedback as it was inspiring for a brother looking to not only better his own life, but also those who are hurting. I will search more in prayer to see if this is where I am being called.

MindOfChrist2008

View Profile
Joining and Serving
Posted : 12 Feb, 2009 03:17 AM

I'm curious about the biblical implications of serving in the armed services overseas in combat, especially when innocent lives are taken by mistake. For instance, there's talks about the War in Iraq where soldiers DO NOT know when a supposed child is armed with explosives or anybody for that matter and end up taking their lives, because of this mistake. How exactly does that line up scripturally? I know that I probably could not wear that on my sleeve as that is a heavy burden to bear psychologically, not to mention the spiritual aspect of it all.

Hmmm... any "born-again' believers whose spouses or family members served in the war that battled these same thoughts?

This is one thing that is keeping me from enlisting in the marine corp.

MindOfChrist2008

View Profile
Be real
Posted : 12 Feb, 2009 03:09 AM

I completely understand your statements. There also tends to be a great deal of Christians who are uneducated in the Word. I find the hardest part of following the Lord is having to function in the world. Fellowshiping with believers can also reflect the world, and I think that is what you're getting at with this post. I find it difficult to discuss things on a scriptural basis with other believers that aren't online, but at my local level. It's extremely hard for single's to serve the Lord (to the best of their ability), because we all have that sexual element that needs to satisfied. That's a hardcore fact that most Christians choose to ignore when addressing the subject. Perhaps that's why we should fast as well as pray to feed our spirit the understanding that our biological needs can be overcome, although as others have stated, we will stumble and fall. We just cannot allow the enemy (the accuser of brethren) to weaken our faith when we do stumble. This, of course, is never an excuse for our sin.

With that said one of the most observable sins amongst believers that I have noticed is GOSSIPING and BACKBITING. BAAAD. Remember, the enemy comes as an ACCUSER OF BRETHREN. Watch your mouths!

God Bless...