Author Thread
3lectric

View Profile
Verses that changed your life
Posted : 17 Jan, 2014 09:01 PM

Awesome question :)

I have to say the single most "game changer" for me was Ephesians 3:20 and I hope we don't mind my sharing an explanation ;)

Ephesians 3:20 (KJV) Now unto Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

I've heard many people say many things about the section of scripture this comes from, and a lot of good insight, but being the deep Hebrew and Greek studier I've become I noticed something that I've not really heard anyone share before, so I will share it here.

You see the Greek word used here for "power" is dunamis. Here is the definition found in Thayer's Greek Lexicon.

dunamis

1) strength power, ability

1a) inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or which a person or thing exerts and puts forth

1b) power for performing miracles

1c) moral power and excellence of soul

1d) the power and influence which belong to riches and wealth

1e) power and resources arising from numbers

1f) power consisting in or resting upon armies, forces, hosts

Now, not to to put any credence in such things, but I do like to compare how such a word was used in secular writings around that time.

Aristotle regards dunamis as one of his fundamental principles ( archai) and distinguishes between two different senses of the term dunamis. In the strictest sense, a dunamis is the power that a thing has to produce a change and the other which he was more interested in was and that might be better translated as potentiality, or better put more than just the power to change things, but the capacity in which it could be. Plotinus describes "the one" as the seminal power of all things; a net of divine powers in their descending and ascending order is a net of theophanies: in this respect dunamis is analogous to the ancient Egyptian sekhem; the powers of the "divine intellect and soul" appear to be present at every part of the cosmos, but according to him the physical world is unable to receive the full power of incorporeal reality.

Again, I'm not putting any credence into these writings but merely comparing how the word itself was used amongst the people at the time, and as we can see between it's common usage and Thayer's Lexicon that the word Dunamis can be simplified to something more akin to "a miraculous power not from this world". Now read this understanding of what kind of "power" we are talking about in place of simply "power" and realize the connotation of "according to the power that worketh in us". We find this word 121 times in the New Testament of which it is translated in the KJV as such :

ability (1) power (77) abundance (1) strength (7) meaning (1)

violence (1) might (4) virtue (3) mighty deed (1) wonderful work (1)

mighty work (11) worker of miracles (1) miracle (8) and mighty (4)

Some interesting verses I noticed that use this word and really reflect what I'm talking about:

Here Jesus is rebuking some of the cities He just worked miracles in

Matthew 11:20-23

20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:

21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works (dunamis), which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.

23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works (dunamis), which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Jesus just returning from the wilderness.

Luke 4:14

14 And Jesus returned in the power (dunamis) of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.

and vs 36 And they were all amazed, and spake among themselves, saying, What a word is this! for with authority and power(dunamis) he commandeth the unclean spirits, and they come out.

Luke 19:37

37 And when he was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works (dunamis) that they had seen;

interesting, thinking back to Ephesians, can others see the "dunamis" working within us?

Most of us have heard the bit about being in error by not knowing the scripture, but here is what Christ said.

Matthew 22:29

29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power (dunamis) of God.

Many of us know how utterly messed up the Corinthian church was, if not then that makes for a good study in itself, but here is Paul addressing the church building up to a full rebuke in chapter 5 warning them that he is coming to set them straight.

1 Corinthians 4:18-20

18 Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.

19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power (dunamis).

20 For the kingdom of God is not in word, but in power (dunamis).

Now pay attention to the next two:

Luke 24:46-49

46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

48 And ye are witnesses of these things.

49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power (dunamis) from on high.

Acts 1:8

8 But ye shall receive power (dunamis), after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

And to bring things full circle:

2 Thessalonians 1:11

11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the WORK OF FAITH with power (dunamis):

or personally I believe a better translation is found in the NIV as

11 With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power (dunamis) he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed PROMPTED BY FAITH.

Faith being key, as Christ many times said whatever we ask, in His name, according to the Father's will, and DOUBTING NOTHING He will do. But how, does He do this?

Ephesians 3:20

Now unto Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, ACCORDING TO THE POWER THAT WORKETH IN US.

We exercise His power through our actions of faith!!!

;) Thanks for reading and God bless you brothers and sisters!

3lectric

View Profile
you not guilty?
Posted : 10 Oct, 2013 05:49 PM

All I can say is Amen! and you used the Old Testament to back your view which is precisely what was available at the time when Paul told us to be prepared to make our case. :) What you have posted is worth getting a study group together in order that more people can make an argument like yours.

Be Blessed!