Author Thread: Noah's flood
Admin

Noah's flood
Posted : 6 Jan, 2011 09:15 PM

I have recently studied some stories of an ancient flood event very much like the one described in Genesis. The difference is that they are all stories form other cultures in Asia and Africa. The stories are all nearly identical to the story in the OT. Strangely, I haven't found any ancient cultures on the Western Hemisphere with this kind of a story. This could mean one of two things, at least. Either the people who populated the Western Hemisphere came from the Eastern Hemisphere and had forgotten the story before the time they got here, or the flood was not a world wide flood.

What do you think about this?

Thunder

DavidSam

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 6 Jan, 2011 09:18 PM

Why are there sea shells in Arizona then?

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 6 Jan, 2011 09:29 PM

There are probably sea shells in AZ because there was once a sea there. This is not evidence there was ever a flood. My grandfather found a sea sponge in his garden here in Colorado one day when he was rototilling. There is evidence that many parts of the earth were covered with water but then changes in elevation caused the water to recede as the mountains were pushed up. Creatures living in shells, corals, and other plants and sea creatures would have been left in the sand and would have died there.

Thunder

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 6 Jan, 2011 11:27 PM

The cree indians in canada, the cherokee in america , aztec in mexico etc...

Just google "flood story comparisons" it will keep you interested for hours!

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 05:34 AM

Thanks, Thunder! You stirred something in me.

BOOK OF GENESIS---- here comes chevy!

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 12:05 PM

Yeah, seems to me that there is an native north/south American legend about some people being saved from a huge flood by a giant turtle...

http://www.leveillee.net/creationstory.htm

I'm not sure how legitimate that all is, but the "Making of Turtle Island" legend sounds like a flood story. It doesn't sound like the one I heard though, maybe there's more.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 06:54 PM

I have heard that American Indians tribes have tales of a huge flood, and two animals each were saved by putting them into a large canoe. It has been too long ago that I heard that, though. I don't remember the details -- like the tribe names.

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 7 Jan, 2011 08:15 PM

There are some Native American stories about a flood. Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs was, according to legend, once a great dragon. Many, many ages ago, when the gods flooded the earth, they sent a great dragon down to drink up the water so humans could live on Earth again. But after it had drunk, it was too heavy to be able to fly back to the skies again, and it crashed to Earth, where the gods turned him into a mountain. (And if you're in the Springs, from some angles, particularly Garden of the Gods, it really looks like it could be.)

The really 'funny' part of the story is that when they began drilling to build NORAD? The mountain was full of water.

This post brought to you by a homesick native Colorado girl. :waving:

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 8 Jan, 2011 11:44 AM

And I do think the bible implies a world wide flood, because there are several places where God says He won't destroy the world by a flood again. And then where it says the whole earth will be destroyed by fire at the end of time, like when it was destroyed by water during the time of Noah...so...it seems to imply a world wide flood...if that makes sense.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 9 Jan, 2011 07:01 AM

If the earth went through a comet tail for forty days and ,forty nights which dumped water on the earth, as James McCanney says, then the flood of Noah was world wide. This comet event, or a similar one, also, he says, caused the mountains to rise.

View Profile
History
Noah's flood
Posted : 9 Jan, 2011 10:09 AM

I just take the Bible as fact. I don't need proof.

"And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered." Genesis 7:19

That sounds like all of earth to me.

Page : 1 2