Author Thread: Lost, Saved, and In-Between
Admin

Lost, Saved, and In-Between
Posted : 9 Jun, 2011 09:44 AM

We all know and agree that we are lost before we are saved, but what of the in-between state? Is there such a thing? Have you ever known someone or maybe experienced it yourself, where the Holy Spirit was working on your heart for X amount of time before you fully believed and submitted your life to Christ? Maybe it was a song you heard or a service you attended with family or a friend that made you stop and think about God. And then maybe a few days later a friend spoke about Christ, or you overheard a conversation in which Christ and salvation was the subject, and the Holy Spirit, still working on your heart, prompts you to think about God some more, maybe even a little more seriously than before. You even begin to wonder if there is real truth in what you've heard and how it might affect you. And even though you are still living for self, you find yourself becoming more interested, and more questions come to mind. You're still lost, you're still not saved, but you're in-between, pondering what to do with what you've heard. You may even feel a struggle going on somewhere inside of you. Maybe guilt from past offenses come to mind. Maybe it's God drawing you to Himself. What do you do next?

In Reformed Theology, can this scenario exist?

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jun, 2011 10:31 AM

Well, sortof. :)

I grew up going to a Baptist church. I was saved and baptized when I was very young, I think 5. I don't know if that plays a role in this or not. However, things happened in my life and I didn't go to church for a long time. During my teenage years/younger twenties, I did a lot of stupid sinful things. But several years ago, I began to 'feel' something. I don't even know how to describe it. I started thinking more about God and felt more guilty about the things I'd done in my past and the things that were happening in my life at the time. Thinking about it now, I really think God was 'pulling' me back to Him. I don't know if it would have been any different if I hadn't gotten saved so young, but this is how my life has been. I know it was God reeling me back in to Him.

Thank You, Lord! :applause:

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jun, 2011 10:44 AM

I guess I was in-between for awhile. I remember more than one person planting a seed and I felt a tugging at my heart, but I was stubborn and thought I'd have to give up too much to be saved(satan's lie). After a year or two of really feeling a need for Christ, I cried out to Him and was born again. Thank God for those who plant good seeds! Thank God for those who water! And Thank God for drawing me to Him!

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jun, 2011 06:25 PM

Yes it was definitely a process, a work in progress. What James describes; knowing and feeling nothing one mintue and the next; "born again" I don't think it exists, I have never heard of it.

Hmmmm...

Wonder how he got saved?

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jun, 2011 07:29 PM

According to Scripture, there is no "in-between" state.

There is saved, and lost, and that is all.

Now, that being said, we should not get narrowminded about the Work of the Holy Spirit in Peoples hearts.

There are some Christians, who say you should know the day the Lord Saved you.

The Truth is, The Holy Spirit works in mysterious ways, and SOME TIMES, you will have a Christian that does not remember the hour or day, but they could tell you the year, that God gradually warmed their heart, and changed them.

I don't believe we Christians all have a cookie-cutter exact same experience of the Holy Spirit making us come alive. Just because you only know Christians who had one type of experience does NOT mean there are no other kinds.

I have read some testimonies of famous theologians and pastors throughout church history, and for some it was a sudden one day experience, and for others it was a certain season of a certain year, etc.

But as far as "Saved, Lost, and in-between", all I see in the Bible is saved and lost.

In Christ,

James

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Jun, 2011 09:03 PM

All I know is I once was lost, but now I'm found: Was blind, but now I see. Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound; that saved a wretch like me.:yay:

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jun, 2011 12:42 AM

James, from your answer; I can assume it was a process for you also.

What you are speaking of in your post is people usually remember the date, and some the time they finally decided to trust in Jesus.

The scales were being loaded for a time. The point at which the scales tipped is what people remember.

I have never heard of anyone not believing in God one second and without hearing about Jesus suddenly believe in Him. :goofball:

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jun, 2011 06:48 AM

1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

When you plant a seed it needs two things to come forth, water and light, and they are both of the word of God