Author Thread: Looking for new baseball team
Admin

Looking for new baseball team
Posted : 2 Aug, 2011 12:10 AM

I used to be a Mariners fan, but no longer (that's a story for a seperate post). So I'm looking for a new team to root for, and I need help picking one.

I prefer the National League, cause I think the National League has the better rules and purer game. However, I will consider American League teams that are not the Red Sox, Yankees, or Athletics.

I'm tired of seeing teams that focus on slugging and would be delighted to find a "small ball" team. Just because the home run is a tool in the toolbox doesn't mean that it should be the only tool used.

And of course it goes without saying I'd like a successful team. I'm not talking World Series champion every year, because that gets old real fast. But after coming from the Mariners I want to avoid teams which are perennially atrocious (cough Royals cough).

I've heard Cardinals fans are really nice and classy, even applauding well-executed plays by the opponent. No idea if this is true or not, since I've never been to a Cardinals game.

So there it is. Any thoughts? Thanks!

teach_ib

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Aug, 2011 08:42 PM

While I am a Red Sox fan, I would also recommend the Tampa Bay Rays. Yes an A Meriden League team, they remain fairly competitive against the Red Sox and Yankees.

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Aug, 2011 11:55 PM

Go for them D-backs! They are scrappy and doing really well. It's so fun to watch, and Justin Upton is so clutch. Other than that no REAL stars but somehow they always come out on top most of the time.

EldawenEmileia

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Feb, 2012 12:28 AM

Giants fan here, and I have to put in a good word for my team! :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Feb, 2012 02:25 AM

On Wikipedia there's a list of the World Series records for each baseball team. I've narrowed down my selection of which team will have my primary allegiance to the top 10 on this list - the Giants are in 5th place.

But if I'm watching tv and I happen upon a game with a team that's been struggling like the Diamondbacks I'll root for for the underdog.

agrosenb

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Mar, 2012 11:33 AM

I think the Rockies may fit your bill. They're what you call "small ball"-- they're not under a lot of pressure, but they do work and play hard.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Mar, 2012 06:15 AM

The Orioles play very small ball! :ROFL:

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Oct, 2012 08:17 AM

If you haven't already, please jump on the Buck Truck and watch Orioles magic starting this Sunday evening!! :applause::yay: