Author Thread: Have mercy upon me, O God
dljrn04

View Profile
History
Have mercy upon me, O God
Posted : 4 Nov, 2011 06:47 AM

Psalm 51:1 To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness; According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me. 4 Against You, You only, have I sinned, And done this evil in Your sight-- That You may be found just when You speak, And blameless when You judge. 5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me. 6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom. 7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Make me hear joy and gladness, That the bones You have broken may rejoice. 9 Hide Your face from my sins, And blot out all my iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, And uphold me by Your generous Spirit. 13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, And sinners shall be converted to You. 14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, The God of my salvation, And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, And my mouth shall show forth Your praise. 16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart-- These, O God, You will not despise. 18 Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion; Build the walls of Jerusalem. 19 Then You shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, With burnt offering and whole burnt offering; Then they shall offer bulls on Your altar.

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Nov, 2011 09:23 AM

Thank you Donna for your post! :applause:

I love it!

Why did David pray this prayer?

What was his sin he committed with Bathsheba?

The sin included adultery, murder, and the lies and deceptions it took to try to cover those crimes.

This tragic story begins as David, just up from an afternoon nap, looks out from the roof of his palace and spies the very beautiful � but very married � Bathsheba. Without even thinking about it, David sent for Bathsheba, who he is told is married to a warrior named Uriah who is away fighting at the time (2 Samuel 11:1�4).

Bathsheba did the only thing she could when the king of Israel sends for her � she went to him. A short time later she sent him word that she was pregnant. In an attempt to cover up his sin, David sends for Uriah and invites him to go home to his wife for the night before going back to the battlefield. Being a man of amazing integrity and loyalty, Uriah refuses to go home to his wife while his men are still out fighting (2 Samuel 11:5�12).

The story of David's sin is described aptly by the apostle James, who wrote, �Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death� (James 1:14�15).

Since David's plan to cover up his sin has failed, he goes to plan B: have Uriah killed in battle so that no one will be the wiser to what has happened. David sends word to have Uriah placed where the fighting is fiercest so that it will be more likely that he is killed. That is exactly what happens, and when Bathsheba receives word of it, she is sent into a period of mourning over the death of her husband (2 Samuel 11:14�27).

dljrn04

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Nov, 2011 10:03 AM

There are some denominations that say after conversion Gods children do not sin. That is so not the truth of God's word. David was a man of God who fell to the temptation of sin, that is why God's children are called to watch and pray. Protect our hearts with all diligence against sin. Praise God grace that brought David unto repentance of sin.

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Nov, 2011 10:09 AM

Amen Dona.

If we sin, we have to repent and TURN from sin, abandoning it.

If you will live in sin, then how are you going to WALK with God??!!!

You could be crashed by your sins and fail to reach the Kingdom of Heaven.

Do, you remember how Christians can perish? Revelation 1-3.

Jesus warns our Churches!!! He can vomit us if we will live in sins.

"The unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God". 1 Cor 6:9

It is Christianity. It is the will of God.

Let's read what David said to God in his prayer:

Psalm 51

To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David when Nathan the prophet went to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.

1 Have mercy upon me, O God,

According to Your lovingkindness;

According to the multitude of Your tender mercies,

Blot out my transgressions.

2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,

And cleanse me from my sin.

3 For I acknowledge my transgressions,

And my sin is always before me.

4 Against You, You only, have I sinned,

And done this evil in Your sight�

That You may be found just when You speak,[a]

And blameless when You judge.

5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,

And in sin my mother conceived me.

6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,

And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;

Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

8 Make me hear joy and gladness,

That the bones You have broken may rejoice.

9 Hide Your face from my sins,

And blot out all my iniquities.

10 Create in me a clean heart :hearts::angel:, O God,

And renew a steadfast spirit within me.

11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,

And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.

12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,

And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.

13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,

And sinners shall be converted to You.

14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,

The God of my salvation,

And my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness.

15 O Lord, open my lips,

And my mouth shall show forth Your praise.

16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;

You do not delight in burnt offering.

17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit,

A broken and a contrite heart�

These, O God, You will not despise.

18 Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion;

Build the walls of Jerusalem.

19 Then You shall be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness:angel:,

With burnt offering and whole burnt offering;

Then they shall offer bulls on Your altar.