Author Thread: If you have faith you will have works here is the scripture to back it up
elishabroadway

View Profile
History
If you have faith you will have works here is the scripture to back it up
Posted : 21 Nov, 2011 10:24 PM

So nobody can twist my words or my meaning I am gonna say this one last time whith a whole boat load of scripture (although not the version I prefere but scripture none the less) to back it up, so here is goes!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO GET SAVED!FAITH IS WHAT SAVES US BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH!!

HOWEVER!! OUR WORKS ARE THE EVIDENCE OF OUR FAITH! IF YOU HAVE FAITH YOU MOST DEFINANTLY WILL ALSO HAVE WORKS!!! NOW DONT ARGUE WITH ME ABOUT IT!READ THE SCRIPTURE IF YOU DONT LIKE IT TAKE IT UP THE THE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH!!!!

For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:1-26 ESV / 14 helpful votes

My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, �You sit here in a good place,� while you say to the poor man, �You stand over there,� or, �Sit down at my feet,� have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

Ephesians 2:8 ESV / 11 helpful votes

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:24 ESV / 10 helpful votes

You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:14-26 ESV / 9 helpful votes

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, �Go in peace, be warmed and filled,� without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, �You have faith and I have works.� Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

Ephesians 2:10 ESV / 9 helpful votes

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Ephesians 2:8-9 ESV / 9 helpful votes

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:20 ESV / 8 helpful votes

Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:18 ESV / 8 helpful votes

But someone will say, �You have faith and I have works.� Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Hebrews 11:1-40 ESV / 8 helpful votes

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible. By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice than Cain, through which he was commended as righteous, God commending him by accepting his gifts. And through his faith, though he died, he still speaks. By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death, and he was not found, because God had taken him. Now before he was taken he was commended as having pleased God. ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

Hebrews 11:6 ESV / 7 helpful votes

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Ephesians 2:8-10 ESV / 7 helpful votes

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 3:28 ESV / 6 helpful votes

For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law.

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:19 ESV / 5 helpful votes

You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe�and shudder!

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:14 ESV / 5 helpful votes

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?

HelpfulNot Helpful

Matthew 5:16 ESV / 5 helpful votes

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Hebrews 11:1 ESV / 4 helpful votes

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Titus 3:8 ESV / 4 helpful votes

The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.

HelpfulNot Helpful

2 Timothy 1:9 ESV / 4 helpful votes

Who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

HelpfulNot Helpful

Galatians 5:6 ESV / 4 helpful votes

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Galatians 2:16 ESV / 4 helpful votes

Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

HelpfulNot Helpful

John 3:16 ESV / 4 helpful votes

�For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Mark 16:16 ESV / 4 helpful votes

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Matthew 15:8-9 ESV / 4 helpful votes

��This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.��

HelpfulNot Helpful

2 Peter 3:9 ESV / 3 helpful votes

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:21 ESV / 3 helpful votes

Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:17 ESV / 3 helpful votes

So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:14-24 ESV / 3 helpful votes

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, �Go in peace, be warmed and filled,� without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, �You have faith and I have works.� Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

Titus 3:5 ESV / 3 helpful votes

He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

HelpfulNot Helpful

Titus 2:14 ESV / 3 helpful votes

Who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 5:1 ESV / 3 helpful votes

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Acts 16:31 ESV / 3 helpful votes

And they said, �Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.�

HelpfulNot Helpful

John 3:36 ESV / 3 helpful votes

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Matthew 16:27 ESV / 3 helpful votes

For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Habakkuk 2:4 ESV / 3 helpful votes

�Behold, his soul is puffed up; it is not upright within him, but the righteous shall live by his faith.

HelpfulNot Helpful

1 John 2:4 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Whoever says �I know him� but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,

HelpfulNot Helpful

2 Peter 2:1 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 2:23 ESV / 2 helpful votes

And the Scripture was fulfilled that says, �Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness��and he was called a friend of God.

HelpfulNot Helpful

James 1:22 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Hebrews 11:8 ESV / 2 helpful votes

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Hebrews 10:39 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Hebrews 6:10 ESV / 2 helpful votes

For God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love that you have shown for his name in serving the saints, as you still do.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Hebrews 6:4-6 ESV / 2 helpful votes

For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Hebrews 5:9 ESV / 2 helpful votes

And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him,

HelpfulNot Helpful

Titus 1:16 ESV / 2 helpful votes

They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

HelpfulNot Helpful

2 Timothy 3:1-17 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

2 Timothy 2:15 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Colossians 3:23-24 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Ephesians 2:9 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Galatians 5:25 ESV / 2 helpful votes

If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Galatians 5:4 ESV / 2 helpful votes

You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Galatians 3:27 ESV / 2 helpful votes

For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Galatians 3:11 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for �The righteous shall live by faith.�

HelpfulNot Helpful

Galatians 2:20 ESV / 2 helpful votes

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

HelpfulNot Helpful

2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

HelpfulNot Helpful

1 Corinthians 15:58 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

HelpfulNot Helpful

1 Corinthians 13:13 ESV / 2 helpful votes

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

HelpfulNot Helpful

1 Corinthians 10:12 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 11:6 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 8:1-39 ESV / 2 helpful votes

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 6:3 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 5:15 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 4:5 ESV / 2 helpful votes

And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 4:1-25 ESV / 2 helpful votes

What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh? For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. For what does the Scripture say? �Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.� Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness, ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

Romans 1:16 ESV / 2 helpful votes

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Acts 26:20 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Acts 22:16 ESV / 2 helpful votes

And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.�

HelpfulNot Helpful

Acts 17:30 ESV / 2 helpful votes

The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

HelpfulNot Helpful

Acts 11:18 ESV / 2 helpful votes

When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, �Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.�

HelpfulNot Helpful

Acts 10:1-48 ESV / 2 helpful votes

At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God. About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God come in and say to him, �Cornelius.� And he stared at him in terror and said, �What is it, Lord?� And he said to him, �Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God. And now send men to Joppa and bring one Simon who is called Peter. ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

Acts 3:19 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out,

HelpfulNot Helpful

Acts 2:38 ESV / 2 helpful votes

And Peter said to them, �Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

HelpfulNot Helpful

John 15:1-27 ESV / 2 helpful votes

�I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

John 14:15 ESV / 2 helpful votes

�If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

HelpfulNot Helpful

John 13:34 ESV / 2 helpful votes

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

HelpfulNot Helpful

John 8:32 ESV / 2 helpful votes

And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.�

HelpfulNot Helpful

John 6:28 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Then they said to him, �What must we do, to be doing the works of God?�

HelpfulNot Helpful

John 3:3-5 ESV / 2 helpful votes

Jesus answered him, �Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.� Nicodemus said to him, �How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?� Jesus answered, �Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

HelpfulNot Helpful

John 1:12 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,

HelpfulNot Helpful

Luke 11:28 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But he said, �Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!�

HelpfulNot Helpful

Mark 16:15 ESV / 2 helpful votes

And he said to them, �Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Matthew 24:13 ESV / 2 helpful votes

But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Matthew 19:17 ESV / 2 helpful votes

And he said to him, �Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.�

HelpfulNot Helpful

Matthew 17:20 ESV / 2 helpful votes

He said to them, �Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, �Move from here to there,� and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.�

HelpfulNot Helpful

Matthew 7:1-29 ESV / 2 helpful votes

�Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, �Let me take the speck out of your eye,� when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

Matthew 5:17 ESV / 2 helpful votes

�Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

HelpfulNot Helpful

Isaiah 2:1-22 ESV / 2 helpful votes

The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the Lordshall be established as the highest of the mountains, and shall be lifted up above the hills; and all the nations shall flow to it, and many peoples shall come, and say: �Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.� For out of Zion shall go the law, and the word of the Lordfrom Jerusalem. He shall judge between the nations, and shall decide disputes for many peoples; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore. O house of Jacob, come, let us walk in the light of the Lord. ...

HelpfulNot Helpful

Genesis 22:1-24 ESV / 2 helpful votes

After these things God tested Abraham and said to him, �Abraham!� And he said, �Here am I.� He said, �Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.� So Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac. And he cut the wood for the burnt offering and arose and went to the place of which God had told him. On the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes and saw the place from afar. Then Abraham said to his young men, �Stay here with the donkey; I and the boy will go over there and worship and come again to you.� ...

1newguy

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Nov, 2011 04:50 PM

I'm going to have to conclude you cannot substantiate your claims because you refuse to give evidence. Blanket, emotional, statements will not cut it when rightly dividing Scripture.

Blessings on your evening

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Nov, 2011 05:09 PM

Do you know that is a common Calvinst response, and they reveal their heart no have any scripture to substantiate the doctrine.

1newguy

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Nov, 2011 06:26 PM

Pj, you cannot be serious in your response. You consistently fail to provide evidence for your accusations and then turn it around with a blanket statement "that's what Calvinist do". You completely avoided the question by trying to turn the tables. I am familiar with the tactic having dealt with Johavah Witnesses and their circular thinking.

Please don't post your rants without scripturally supporting them for you are in serious danger of misleading others which I'm sure you want no part of.

Seriously, be careful.

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Nov, 2011 06:36 PM

Read the post all over the board, I am more than willing to answer when you and any calvinist will publicly commit to being accountable.

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2011 10:47 AM

@ everyone:

Please look to the Greek language when you read this.

The english has this wrong,and those that say 'Faith without works is dead'.

These people are just parrots,someone says something and they just follow right along,without being a 'Berean'

Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

The Greek would refute this in a minute.

Shalom

Me

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2011 01:18 PM

Maybe those Greek where not saved George

Page : 1 2