Author Thread: A brief testimony
Admin

A brief testimony
Posted : 4 Nov, 2007 09:36 PM

My earliest memories of hearing about Christ came from my great-grandmother when I was about 2-3 years old. I remember her telling me about him....and wanting to know God just like Granny did. I taught myself to read just so I could read the Bible because my mom didn't understand it very well. Granny and I would listen to the Bible on tape and she would always pray with me. She would share her "God-stories" with me daily. I wanted what she had. Mom said that I would talk to Jesus all day as if He were right beside me. We never went to church though. I'd go to vacation bible school, but that was it. I remember in 5th grade one girl told me I wasn't a Christian because I didn't go to church. I remember that she was really two faced and I said that Jesus would come to me wherever I was. I held tightly to that belief until my Sophomore year of high school. I would daily witness to my 2 best friends, but they would always tell me that I didn't know what I was talking about because I didn't even go to church...they started sharing their ideas of religion with me and slowly my beliefs began to become shaken up...pretty soon, I was doubting in God...Granny got really sick and I'd been feeling guilty because it was so hard to visit her in the nursing home, she wasn't herself anymore. I knew in my gut that she wouldn't live another full day and began praying, I was on my knees sobbing, crying out to God. I remember begging HIM to let me just apologize to her and to say good-bye...I said that if he let me just see her for 5 mins, HE could take her 30 mins later.....just let me see her and I would never doubt in HIM again. I promised to get my family to start going to church......and HE DID! He allowed me to see her...she told me not to be sad and that she forgave me and so did Jesus, for things I had not yet even done. (this confused me because I thought I was a good person, but was relieved to be forgiven) She told me that she would see me in Heaven...what really saddened me is that I was the only person she told that to.

After she passed away, my mom, sister, brother and I began going to church. Mom even started teaching sunday school and I became head of our small youth group. I dove in as far as I could and our new pastor(a woman) became like a mother to me. I would visit her every day after school.When I got to college, I did ministry things, but for the first time, boys were interested in me.......I was trying to live in both worlds. I would go to ministry things and then go up to the hill and flirt and dance and well...you get the picture......I eventually met a boy and we dated for a few months and moved in together, something I had always been against.....it was not a healthy relationship...he would throw my bible and get angry when I would read it.....he proposed after we had been together a year...2 weeks later, I was reading about Lot and how he was told to leave and not look back and how his wife was turned into a pillar of salt....I knew that the Lord was telling me to leave and not look back, so I did. I packed up my belongings, moved home and 2 weeks later moved to restart college. I went wild with dating for a few months, but found a group of Christians who called me to something higher....They were the first genuine Christians I had ever met. They truly lived their faith and I wanted what they had. My parents had thought I joined a cult because I changed so much, so quickly.....However, my roots were not firmly planted and when a storm of life came, I was deeply shaken....I hit a deep depression and moved home. I started calling on the Lord in my despair and ended up going to the church in a town close to where I grew up. I ended up moving in with some girls from the church and dove in again with ministry and service. Shortly after doing so, my mom left my dad for another woman......I was sharing verses with my dad and he and my brother started praying.....they got so quiet.....They both accepted Christ that day, yet there still hasn't been much noticable action going on there. I moved back home about 6 months ago to help with my brother and it was not good for me to leave a church family, the church here just isn't the same.....people don't LIVE their faith, they just go thru the motions on sundays and it's soo hard. I've found myself slipping a lot lately. I'm not having quiet times as often as I was and I have compromised some of my convictions. I've been praying about moving to a new place. I know that the Lord is calling me to, but I'm not sure where that place is yet. I know when it is time, He will reveal it to me...I'd appreciate prayers for strength to obey and discernment of HIS will. Thanks for reading!

View Profile
History
A brief testimony
Posted : 6 Nov, 2007 06:09 AM

I have also been going through my ups and downs but one thing I have learned is that God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow...He never leaves us, we do not realize it at times but sometimes we leave Him...We must all as christians strive to stay in His presence, because without Him, we are nothing....God bless sweetheart, I'll be praying for you....

View Profile
History
A brief testimony
Posted : 29 Feb, 2008 07:51 PM

Hi Cartthart girl, how are you doing? I just want to let you know I just read your testimony and am now praying for you. I can only empathize and pray that you find peace in our Heavenly Father's arms. They are strong and will never fail us; I love the example of Moses' arms when Aaron and Hur would help him hold his arms up, so the Israelites could win the battle. With God, He needs no help with His arms. I hope you reply to this post soon. I would love to hear how you're doing.

God bless,

ephesians522

View Profile
History
A brief testimony
Posted : 21 Jun, 2008 12:35 PM

Has anyone traveled or move to another region of the US? Have you noticed after staying for an extended period of time, you would pick up their accent, the way they pronounce words? Heck you pick up their lingo. You begin to fit in. But yet when you return to your home or point of originality, you revert back to the way you speak. That's much like what being a Christian let loose into the world. Something happens, perhaps a change of location, like a job change. You become dislocated. A different type of people you are dealing with. You do your best to fit in. Unfortunately, most times out of not, you get drawn into this world. You fall and sin a bit.

The great thing about being a true Christian is, once redeemed through the blood of Christ and being truly repentant of our sins, we never lose our salvation. Our place in the The Book of Names has been established. That doesn't mean we can backslide and fall back into sin without asking God for repentance (to be brought back into his grace) and still hold favor in the Lord's eyes. "For he is a Jealous God....a Vengeful God...a God who judges evil". It good to know that we can "return home".

Take the parable of the Prodigal Son. God gives us a length of rope, in the way of his blessings through his grace. These are blessings we don't even deserve. They are given by a kind and good Father. We live our lives freely, we begin to sin again, squandering our existence. But all good things come to an end, we become a slave to the world (check your credit card bills lately?). We lose our earthly riches (how many homes are in foreclosure?). We wallow in the mud with the sow (how many are standing in line for assistance?...or worse). God chastises us into humility, we are brought to be humble before him. "...Are we to accept good from God, and not accept trouble?" Like the Prodigal Son, when we do come home, we are greeted with open arms. We put on our Father's robe. A gift of the finest blessings are set before us and the Lord celebrates in our return. He is truly a Great God.

The world is not an easy place to live in. We sin and sin again. But, if we are truly repentant, and ask for God's mercy. We will never lose his favor. "Never again Lord..." takes on a good meaning.

8 Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude. Don�t repay evil for evil. Don�t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it. 10 For the Scriptures say,

�If you want to enjoy life

and see many happy days,

keep your tongue from speaking evil

and your lips from telling lies.

11 Turn away from evil and do good.

Search for peace, and work to maintain it.

12 The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right,

and his ears are open to their prayers.

But the Lord turns his face

against those who do evil.�

Suffering for Doing Good

13 Now, who will want to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14 But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So don�t worry or be afraid of their threats. 15 Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it. 16 But do this in a gentle and respectful way. Keep your conscience clear. Then if people speak against you, they will be ashamed when they see what a good life you live because you belong to Christ. 17 Remember, it is better to suffer for doing good, if that is what God wants, than to suffer for doing wrong!

18 Christ suffered for our sins once for all time. He never sinned, but he died for sinners to bring you safely home to God. He suffered physical death, but he was raised to life in the Spirit.>1 Peter 3:8-18(New Living Translation)

View Profile
History
A brief testimony
Posted : 8 Aug, 2008 09:28 AM

In Jesus name,i have just read your testimony,clear message.God wants us to repent and obey his commands.He wants us to love one another and RUN AWAY from sin.He wants us to walk on his spirit an live on the fruits of the spirit which is love,peace,patience etc.that is the moment you remove Jesus Christ in your life,automatically the devil takes over and the opposit happens that is hatred,fighting,killing,arguing,no peace at all.So we'd better stick and obey his commands.God bless everyone in Jesus name.Mpumi