Author Thread: Kindle/Kindle 2
Admin

Kindle/Kindle 2
Posted : 10 Mar, 2009 07:12 PM

Just wondering if anybody has or is considering buying one , and if so, what they think of them.

View Profile
History
Kindle/Kindle 2
Posted : 11 Mar, 2009 08:46 AM

don't own one, but because it's a gadget, naturally I want one :P however I don't read as much as I should now anyway It'd probably end up in a box after a few months. but the concept is phenomenal. blogs on the fly, newspaper. :dancingp:

View Profile
History
Kindle/Kindle 2
Posted : 11 Mar, 2009 06:40 PM

I bet you'd read a lot more books if you had one. It boasts that you can download from it 'cause it's wireless, and it's got text to speech. I hope the price drops soon.

View Profile
History
Kindle/Kindle 2
Posted : 13 Apr, 2009 02:34 PM

The kindle has both its pros and cons.

pros:

Battery- The battery life is measured in days, not hours

Storage- Bring the entire library with you, up to 1,500 books

Wifi- You can purchase and download books wirelessly over any wireless network.

Eink- The display looks very much like a real book, eliminating eye strain common to other devices.

cons:

Price- $360 for a book reader? Seriously?

Books- Amazon engages in blatant gouging on the prices of the e-books. They do this banking on a poor understanding of technology on part of the customer.

DRM- After you have paid full price (or higher) on an electronic copy, (it costs them a few cents to copy books electronically) you cannot share it. You cannot sell it, you cannot loan it. It stays with your kindle and dies when it dies.

conclusion:

overpriced, but promising technology for the future.

View Profile
History
Kindle/Kindle 2
Posted : 6 Dec, 2009 12:17 AM

I personally dig the Kindle. I have a fair amount of technical resources on it and find it much easier on the eyes. It's a little pricey, but worth it.

I should also point out that you are not obligated to purchase from the Kindle store. If you have PDF books, for example, you can convert those. (I believe Kindle 2 just had an update making PDF books a native thing. I have the original Kindle, I don't know if that's an update or not or if we still have to use the "experimental" converter.) I like having the option though, and NO... you can make a backup of your stuff. (remember, the Kindle looks like a hard drive to Windows.) And I believe you can redownload stuff should your Kindle meet its untimely demise. :-)

DRM? Yes, I hate unreasonable DRM and the Kindle isn't for everyone. Might be worth looking into some of the competitors (i.e. Sony, B&N, etc.)